ONE assumes that the $16,800 Ryan Reid from West Henrietta, NY, spent at Fatima’s on a “shield” against a curse plus “channel angels” wasn’t dosh well spent, for he made an allegation of fraud against Harry Mitchell’s  psychic studio, which the police then closed down on the grounds that dealing in curse-related matters breaches local laws.

After Reid made his complaint, police investigated the shop in Salem, Massachusetts, and found that its fortune-teller license had expired, so they forced it to close. But the city’s licensing board has since allowed the shop to reopen for the remainder of the year, provided that curses are left out of the equation – and after learning that Mitchell had refunded most of the money.

The Psychic Centre that broke curse regulations

The Psychic Centre that broke curse regulations

Christian Day, a “warlock” who is the owner of two Salem woo shops, expressed anger over what he perceived as an unfair targeting of Fatima’s, and said that others should be investigated for doing the same thing as Fatima’s.

He waffled:

If they’re a fraud, then we’re all frauds, and all religion is a fraud. They’re not regulating the priest who absolves you of your sins and tells you to put some money in the collection basket, or the old lady who sends all her money to Pat Robertson. They pick on us for one reason: They’re afraid of us. They’ve always been afraid of us.

Day was in the news at the beginning of the year when he lashed out at Fox News for criticising the decision by the University of Missouri to accommodate festivals regarded as sacred by Wiccans and Pagans, and not have exams on those days.

He said:

Religious surveys over the last two decades suggest that Witchcraft is America’s fastest growing faith. America is a bubbling cauldron of different peoples and faiths and it is to our credit that our nation goes out of its way to respect those days that are sacred to us. Witches believe in respect for all faiths and Tucker Carlson’s divisive rhetoric is out of step with American values.

Carlson, a guest on the show, stated that

The bad side of Wiccanism is that, obviously, it’s a form of witchcraft.

Be afraid ... be VERY afraid! This is scary Salem 'warlock' Christian Day.

Be afraid … be VERY afraid! This is scary Salem ‘warlock’ Christian Day.

Other members of the fortune-telling community, however, were glad to see Fatima’s temporarily closed down. One local fortune teller Timothy Reagan said:

What I do is read people’s energy. What they do is charge thousands of dollars for sea glass to read a curse. They prey on people who are weak, and they make us all look like frauds.

23 Responses to “NY man blows whistle on a ‘psychic studio’ – after spending over £10,000 on a ‘curse shield’”

1. Andrea says:

Npower read my energy. I wonder if this guy can do it cheaper?

2. David Anderson says:

They prey on people who are weak, and they make us all look like frauds.

No words.

Christian Day said,

“If they’re a fraud, then we’re all frauds, and all religion is a fraud. They’re not regulating the priest who absolves you of your sins and tells you to put some money in the collection basket, or the old lady who sends all her money to Pat Robertson.”

Couldn’t put it better myself. And “Witchcraft is America’s fastest growing faith.”

I need to do some re-reading of Dennis Wheatley whom I left behind in my teens. You couldn’t make it up.

How did Reid prove fraud??
    Did he show the law his curse that the shield let thru??
    He said he could not channel angels?? And he proved that, HOW??

And witchcraft is evil?? How exactly?? The only people who believe that BS are of other religions who also think(oxymoron) that everything not of their gawd is evil.

Witchcraft (and feminism) is definitely evil:

“Fifteen years ago those of us who were opposed to women’s ordination said, “This is pagan and will lead to witchcraft in the church.” Hate to say I told you so…”

(Father Dwight Longenecker – I haven’t been had as well, have I?)

And Hallowe’en is satanic:

“Ghosts are real – they are the disembodied spirits of the dead.” The very first question is from Ken!

This religion business is complicated. Take the women thing. What about the Virgin Mary who had carnal relations with God. Or did they get the result by some other method? And Mother Theresa? Wasn’t she a woman although after the Christopher Hitchens’ expose I think womanhood would prefer not to have her as one of them.

And all these nuns? They are women aren’t they? Although I have read that they have some problems accepting their own bodies which leads them to have a bath while dressed in a gown. And Mary Magdalen? If they had tabloids then there could have been some lewd speculation about her relationship with Jesus. Difficult. Isn’t it?

8. Matt+Westwood says:

Oh yes, and environmentalism is dead evil an’ all, this ole vicar said so once, he said, hugging a tree is tantamount to getting your kit off and dancing in the nuddy.

9. charlie says:

@barriejohn, your comment included the bit about ghosts being real…the disembodied spirits of the dead. OK, then the holly ghost must be real, the disembodied spirit of that particular god then. OK, I admit my “logic” may not be so great. Hey, I was just a machinist in my working days and only ever got a 2 year degree, so I may be wrong.
    As to the fraud deal, YES, ALL religions ARE frauds. He said it, it was in some news item, it MUST be true………..LOL.
    Yes, I do have a “sick” sense of humor. It comes partly from being an American and having served in the US Marines and the imperial war in Vietnam.
    One more thing; Barry THANK YOU for all you do and for this web site. This is one of the few sites I check every day. May you live long and prosper sir.

10. sailor1031 says:

@Barriejohn: no, unfortunately you haven’t been had – he’s serious. Dwight Longenecker used to be the worst kind of bigoted, benighted anglican priest but anglicanism wasn’t benighted enough for him so he converted to RCC Inc. and is now the worst kind of bigoted, benighted catholic priest. Don’t read his column if you have high blood pressure.

11. Barry Duke says:

Well, thank YOU Charlie! But at my age (66) there’s very little chance that I’ll either live long or prosper.

As an aside I recently acquired a Spanish doctor with a sense of humour. I needed to see him about stomach pains I have been plagued with lately and Dr Succi told me on Friday that he thought I had Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (I prefer the latter cos it sounds so pretty damned posh). Anyway, he told me to lay off tobacco, tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, alcohol, chips, indeed all fried and spicy foods … oh and chocolate.

I asked him ¿esto me hacen viven para siempre? (will this make me live forever?). He laughed and said no, but it will definitely feel that way.

I went home, rolled a fag, brewed up a pot of coffee and had made me a lamb curry for dinner.

@Barry Duke: Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome – indeed, Barry, a seriously classy name for your problem. Rather puts my own in the shade – Duyputren’s Contracture which I had thought had some style. It’s a thickening of part of the palm which can pull the fingers into a curl. But you can’t beat a “Z” at the start of a name for a disease for style.

However, mine is associated with the Vikings which I like as they put the boot in on the Christians in the 9th and 10th centuries. They may have gone a touch overboard on occasion.

Tradition has it that the disease originated with the Vikings, who spread it throughout Northern Europe and beyond as they traveled and intermarried. My ancestors inhabited the Isle of Lewis and I think my female ancestors must have been raped by marauding Vikings.

13. charlie says:

Barry,
    I hit 66 before the end of 2013 myself. 1947 was a fairly good year……LOL.
    I will not even begin to list my medical “problems” just tell that I had a nasty spinal injury 24 years ago that ended my working life and chronic pain since. Of course arthritis came along, but was already in the old knees before then. Over all, my health is not as bad as some.
    Now, off to convert some younger people to free thinking and away from religious crapola.
    As you British folks say, cheers.

14. Matt+Westwood says:

“… my female ancestors must have been raped by marauding Vikings.”

BRIAN: You mean… you were raped?

MANDY: Well, at first, yes.

@Matt+Westwood: I think those Vikings were macho and charismatic. I’ve seen the film.

16. Barry Duke says:

Charlie, we need just one more person to ‘fess up to being 66 and we’ll have a double helping of 666s. That will be proof positive to our opponents that we are diabolical twice over.

My move to Spain, by the way, was due to severe knee pain, always worse during the winter months in the UK. When I asked my doc what he could do for me, he said “Nothing. Move to a warmer climate.” So I did. No more pain or even discomfort.

17. Mark Moore says:

The Church of England and all religion is no less a fraud.

@Barry Duke: Can’t help on the 666. Past it but still fit by being into plenty of activity. On the arthritis, a mate of mine had a similar experience as you. He said it took him over an hour to crawl out of bed and get himself sorted for the day. He moved to Crete and says the improvement has given him a new life.

19. Barry Duke says:

Well, Broga, seems my sawbones was right about my sore bones. Pity the bugger wasn’t savvy enough to diagnose my Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (ooh, I love saying that). Had he done so, and prescribed the medication that Dr Succi did I would have been spared years of pain and discomfort.

People knock the Spanish health system, but my experience of it has been nothing short of brilliant.

20. Matt+Westwood says:

“I think those Vikings were macho and charismatic.”

Bear in mind that “viking” is in fact ancient Norse for, get this: “holidaymaker”.

21. Matt+Westwood says:

“People knock the Spanish health system, …”

People knock the British one, mainly those who are steadily chipping away at it in order remove it and replace it with the shit they got in the States.

@Matt+Westwood: You are treading on my dreams. They did write great prose. Njals Saga, for example, out Hemingways Hemingway. One simple sentence leading into another.

I agree with your comments about the NHS (a commie health system, according to many in the USA) and good old USA market driven. The first still provides health care that millions of Americans have no hope of getting. The second makes billionaires out of the USA insurance industry.