WITH a mind mucked up by godly garbage,  Kentucky teen Codie Thacker came over all queer when she was assigned the number 666 for an upcoming cross country race.

Gina Croley, Thacker’s cross country coach, tried to get the number changed, but officials for the Kentucky High School Athletic Association denied the request. At that point, Thacker, 16, decided not to compete.

Codie Thacker

Codie Thacker

According to this report:

As religious devotees and heavy metal fans are well aware of, ‘666’ is considered the number of the beast in the Bible, and Thacker didn’t want to risk her faith just to compete.

Thacker is quoted here as saying:

It’s the mark of the beast. I didn’t want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number. sense I stood up for my beliefs and I stood up for God.

A spokesperson for the KHSAA said that race officials would have granted Thacker’s request had they been made aware it was for religious reasons.

Hat tip: Agent Cormac

26 Responses to “How beastly: cross country organisers force US teen out of a race by assigning her the number 666”

1. Ivan says:

Perhaps they should have offered her 69 instead.

2. TrickyDicky says:

It surprises me that in a wackadoodle country like the USA they didn’t leave out 666.

@Ivan DOM

3. Sue says:

Heh, she came over all ‘queer’ from being assigned #666? Guess the devil got her anyways, even though she refused to run with the 666.

“Wackadoodle country like the USA”? Our house (Lymington, Hampshire, UK) is number 17; next door is number 15; and next to that is number 11!

5. mikespeir says:

I would’ve given her a new number, but I would’ve made sure she saw my eyes roll as I did it.

6. Charles says:

It amazes me that in 21st Century America there are those still burdened with Dark Ages superstitions and fantasies that shackle the mind and hinder the enjoyment of the short dance of life.

Ronald Reagan was the Antichrist (isn’t he the one who had his house renumbered because it was 666?):

This one still bothers me. It is a major prophecy of an act by the False Prophet, but I can’t find a good match for it in the facts. I gave up on it when George Bush left office without constructing a powerful image of Ronald Reagan to be worshiped. The election of his son and that son’s conquest of Babylon has given me renewed hope. We may see this one come true yet, if not through the work of George W., then perhaps by Jeb’s hand.

Oh, my…

I believe that irrational fear of the number thirteen is called Trickydickyphobia. Am I right?

What a silly cow, I bet she doesn’t get on a number 13 Bus or step on cracks in the Pavement either. The only people she’ll impress are all the other Christian loons who applaud this type of idiotic behaviour.

I was right – Nancy had the house renumbered 668, givng rise to the joke that he was “The Neighbour of the Beast”:

In the 1980s, many people believed that President Reagan was the antichrist based on the fact that his three names, “Ronald,” “Wilson” and “Reagan,” each contained six letters. Reagan also won his first government election (the GOP primary for California Governor) in June, 1966 (6/66).

How can you argue with that?

10. TrickyDicky says:

barriejohn

I must admit that there is no number 13 in my road (in Essex)

11. manu-ad-ferrum says:

The girl is doubly deluded: The ‘number of the beast’ is actually 611.

Very kind of you to give me the hat tip on this one, Barry, but I think it has been misattributed.

13. Vijen says:

Indeed, together with the majority of the human race, she has the misfortune to have a “mind mucked up by godly garbage.” She was concerned about her “relationship with God”, but no such relationship has ever existed: when God is, there is no-one else.

14. John C says:

They should of just reasigned it to a faster runner, then she could of been beaten by “the beast”,Laughable if it wasn’t so sad .

15. Chuck Longstreth says:

Her god seems to be an extremely sensitive entity.

I’m glad she quit the race because a person must know what their limits are. And carrying a number as large as 666 would have been too big a burden. And as Ivan says it would have been better to lower her burden by giving her 69 but if that also proved to heavy for her slight body then 13 would be OK.

17. Hypersapien says:

Funny, since 666 was actually a mistranslation and the real number of the beast was 616.

18. JohnMWhite says:

@manu-ad-ferrum: I think it’s actually 616, but yes, she like countless others is all hysterical over the wrong thing.

Also…

This should actually read: “Whenever I didn’t get to do it, of course, I was upset, because I’d trained all season for it. But in another sense I stood up for my beliefs and I stood up for God.” I almost had a go at the girl for not knowing the difference between sense and since.

Race officials recently said if they’d known it was for religious reasons, they would have given Thacker a new number.

A) That’s a really stupid reason to do anything.
    B) How could the officials be so stupid as to have not realised that someone telling them “I don’t want number 666″ was because of religious reasons?

Anyway I feel bad for her, because the religious indoctrination she was subjected to has put her in the position of being terrified of innocuous things like numbers and having to pantomime her piety by not wearing a specific one lest she be thought of poorly by the idiot adults who did this to her.

19. charlie says:

Oh well, another deluded religiot nutball bites the dust. How the country I was born in and still live in continues to produce such brain dead, deluded critters as this girl amazes me. This is 2013, is it not? And yet, we still have an over abundance of this sort of non-thinking, irrational bullshit behavior. The girl is 16 for crap sake. She should have been exposed to rational thought by this age. Oh, wait, this IS ‘Merikkka, never mind my comments. I must be the deluded one.
    America, what a country.

20. ZombieHunter says:

I take it she doesn’t own any iron maiden albums then?? :P

Besides didn’t they decide that 616 was the number of the beast instead of 666??

JMW: It’s actually worse than you say. She wasn’t afraid of offending the adults who had fed her this bullshit; she actually believed that if she wore the number 666 that would adversely affect her “relationship with God”!

22. jay says:

AS stupid as this is, I think it’s equally or more stupid for the authorities to make a big deal over it. Give here another freakin number already.

They come off as jerks who really want to stick it to her.

23. Graham Martin-Royle says:

The worst part of this story is not the deluded teens response to being allocated the number, it is the response of the race officials who said that they would have given her a different number if they had realised that her objection was based on religion. That is giving a privilege to religion that they would not be prepared to give to anything else and I object to religion being given any privileges.

24. jay says:

“it is the response of the race officials who said that they would have given her a different number if they had realised that her objection was based on religion”

yeah, right. This is freakin Kentucky, everyone in the state is fully aware of the 666 paranoia. I do not believe their story for a second.

While I agree with your point that religion should NOT be the only reason for a change (what if someone objects to ’13′) , it’s ridiculous for them to make such a big deal out of it. Numbers are in plentiful supply.

25. jay says:

When my wife was getting a new phone, they asked her if exchange ’666′ would be ok. Her answer was ‘yes I WANT that’