CHRISTIAN Scientists Illinois, must be praying for the same powers that the Chinese government possesses to stop people pointing and laughing at unintentionally lewd public objects.

In May of this year, Chinese Internet censors blocked links to photos of a building that was under construction. It was being erected as the new H/Q of The People’s Daily, the leading Chinese newspaper and mouthpiece for the ruling Communist Party.China-penis

But it gave people the giggles – mainly on Sina Weibo, China’s Twitter equivalent, and the authorities moved in to smother the mirth.

Fortunately, no such draconian controls exist in the West and we can all have a damn good laugh at the new Christian Science Church which has arisen in Dixon. Seen from the air it looks like a giant phallus with a touch of the Peyronie’s.

According to this report, in an interview with Sauk Valley Media, church official Scott Shepherd said his church has taken it on the chin since word spread about the spiritual centre’s unfortunate design.

The Internet has great capability for good – and great capability for gossip and destruction.

According to Shepherd, the Christian Science Society of Dixon (motto: “Rising Up”) did not set out to make their holy house look like, well, a big brown dick.

We didn’t design it to be seen as what they’re seeing. And we didn’t design it to be seen from above.

Though they may not have had God in mind when they drew up blueprints, it seems that Shepherd and his flock did have a specific reason for erecting a curved, bulbous structure that leans to the left.

The church was designed by an architect, Shepherd said. The shape came about because the church wanted to have part of the building near the intersection of Highland Avenue and Second Street, plenty of windows for natural light, and a sanctuary, which is the eastern part of the building. But the church also wanted to preserve a large oak tree, which can be seen in the Google maps image, so the decision was made to curve the building around the tree.

The new church isn't meant to be seen from above, but Google Maps have buggered things up for the Christian Scientists.

The new church isn’t meant to be seen from above, but Google Maps have buggered things up for the Christian Scientists.

Architect John McLane, who worked on the project before quitting over creative differences, defended the current design, saying it was “a little bit of a stretch” to claim the church resembled a penis.

Commenting on the church’s Facebook page, “Antilusional” pointed out that:

Another mistake was made. ‘Christian Science’? Wouldn’t that be an oxymoron? Science is about the explanation of observations through repeatable testing. I can’t see anything provable about Christianity. All one could do is make claims, but they could never be scientific. Also, the claims in the bible aren’t testable either. In fact, there are claims all over that, that contradict real actual proven science. So for an organization that is about a religion, it makes no sense to try to label themselves as being scientific. I can’t see how this could be possible at all.

Hat tip: Ivan

17 Responses to “What utter dicks! The Christian Scientist Society in Dixon, Illinois, erect a penis-shaped church”

Well, they’re always talking about Jesus rising up, and coming again, so it’s most appropriate. Also, their religion is just a load of bollocks when all’s said and done.

2. charlie says:

@barriejohn,
    LOLMAO. Jeebus “rising up” and “coming again”. Brilliant sir!
    Also, the comment about science and religion is right on. Religion is not/cannot be scientific in any way at all, ever.
    Ah, the unintended consequences………….

@charlie: I responded to your kind remarks on the following thread the other day. Did you see that?

As Broga said, it’s nice to read your comments, and those of all “new” readers of this blog. We could do with a bit more diversity sometimes. I know that plenty of people read what’s posted; it’s a pity that more don’t add their two pennies’ worth soemtimes (in my opinion!).

Talking about diversity, did anyone else receive an email today from Wonderful Life alerting them to this new comment on an old thread?

I do trust the many concepts you might have offered on your own write-up. They are simply genuine which enable it to surely perform. Still, a threads are too brief firstly. Do you make sure you increase these individuals a little through the next time? Just write-up.

Needless to say, I didn’t click onto the link. I just hope he doesn’t come here!

@barriejohn: I agree with you about more diverse comments. Didn’t we used to have a priest comment here in the past? There must be lots who are crypto-atheists and being here could be a kind of catharsis. Dan Barker writes about the pastors in the USA who are non believers. I think he said that there is an inter net group of them who share their stresses and strains from preaching what they no longer believe.

Its a good thing that xtians also get circumcised as it could be mistaken as a jewish church.

7. Charles says:

What better way to prepare for the Second Comimg?

8. the Woggler says:

The architect left the project after creative differences? Architect’s revenge, maybe?

9. charlie says:

@barriejohn,
    Yes, I did see your reply to me. I don’t always go back and check after I post here. It is one of my faults and I’ll work at correcting it, promise. It was a very good, kind reply. Yes, I do remember the “bigger than Jeebus” flap. I thought it was quite silly of the media to make such a mess of it, but I was just a teenager, so what did my opinion count?
    I do follow most of the links posted here in the comments.

10. tony e says:

I suppose, when all is said and done, the poor architect probably feels a bit of a knob.

To cock up this building must have taken some effort.

If any new erections are required in Dixon, the locals will look long and hard before allowing him the opportunity again.

I’ll get my coat………….

11. Ivan says:

This might be the ideal companion article:

26 Innocent Things That Will Make You Feel Filthy

12. Barry Duke says:

Brilliant, Ivan. I’ve already salted away some of those for a rainy day … if only. Not seen a drop of rain in my part of Spain since we had a light shower in September. All this relentless sunshine and warm weather is driving me nuts!

13. Barry Duke says:

Ah yes, The Woggler. A much grander variation of nailing a kipper to the underneath of your desk after you’ve made redundant ….

14. Maggie says:

“…we didn’t design it to be seen from above.”

Churches are in the shape of crosses because the builders thought they would be seen from above by their sky-fairies. This CSS has obviously given up on this notion…

15. yahweeh says:

come,, Islam is the only best religion

16. Robster says:

The “Christian Science” cult is even more extreme than the regular Christian nutters. They don’t believe in doctors or modern medicine from what I read and they probably like eating jesus at church. The fact they’ve adopted the word “science” is something that should raise alarm in those not afflicted with Christianity. Bit like “Honest Al’s Used Cars”. Just doesn’t sound right.