A BRANCH of an organisation that exists to fill kids’ heads with biblical baloney – the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) which operates in the Tacoma, Washington area – was due to receive almost $7,000 from a county council member, but public outrage stopped the funding initiative in its tracks.

The money will go instead to Changing Rein Equine Assisted Activities, a horse therapy organisation, and a local 4-H club.

CEF is responsible for running more than 20 religiously themed after-school programmes in the district. Its website states its mission as:

Dedicated to seeing every child reached with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It was to have received funds from Pierce County Council Member Jim McCune.

CEF State Director Jeff Kiser did not express bitterness in a statement about the decision reversal.

We respect the decision of the county and pray blessing upon them. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord …

According to the website, the organization hosts three primary types of children’s clubs designed to:

Take place in neighborhood settings such as homes, backyards, schools and community centers all over the world. These fast-paced, one-hour programs are designed to bring the Gospel of Christ to children on their level in their environment

CEF also develops curriculum and leads workshops nationally and internationally for individuals specifically interested in spreading Christianity with children.

While county attorneys did not rule the action illegal, Council member Connie Ladenburg said that she believed the contribution would have violated of separation of Church and State. Ladenburg subsequently introduced a County Ordinance amendment to forbid county money from being:

Appropriated for or applied to any religious worship, exercise or instruction, or the support of any religious establishment.

Ladenburg told King 5, the news organisation which initially reported that CEF would be receiving the funds:

[McCune’s decision] was pretty concerning to me. It was pretty religious based.

King 5 subsequently received letters from across the country slamming the donation.

Ladenberg added:

If someone wants to do an afterschool program for kids to keep them out of trouble, then they can do that, but if they want to do an afterschool program where they’re teaching about Jesus Christ to keep them out of trouble, they can’t do that.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

25 responses to “Horses, not horse shit. Cash set aside for child evangelising is to be put to better use in Tacoma”

What an insult, Barry. Horse shit, unlike religious fantasies, is very valuable. Whenever the Rag and Bone Man went up the road my grandmother used to send me after his cart with a bucket and shovel when I was a boy!

2. David Anderson says:

When I was a saucepan in London, our neighbour used to put horse shit on his rhubarb. We prefered custard.

(old joke, but couldn’t resist)

Great idea. We bought daughter a pony when she was 14 with the proviso that she care for it. This she did and learned how to look after an animal and also the hard work involved. In our experience it was always girls who wanted horses, not boys.

Horse shit is great stuff and produces excellent results. Unlike religion.

4. charlie says:

So, old horse manure jokes today. Fine, here goes mine. I had a friend who was a pilot in the cavalry, he would pile it here, pile it there, pile it everywhere.
    Or maybe he was in the Horse Marines.

5. David Anderson says:

So, the old tramp decides to try his luck out in the country. He comes across a grand old counrty house and picking up a lump of horse shit from the road goes up and knockes on the door. When the lady of the house answers he says to her. “This is all I have to eat, can you help me?” The lady looks on him in pity and says, “You poor man, go round the back to the stables and they will give you a hot bit.”

(Fortunately I’m not here all week, off to a fiesta.)

6. gedediah says:

A family had twin boys, alike in appearance but otherwise opposite in every way. One was an eternal optimist, the other a doom and gloom pessimist.
    Just to see what would happen, on the boys’ birthday their father loaded the pessimist’s room with every imaginable toy and game; the optimist’s room he loaded with horse manure.
    That night the father passed by the pessimist’s room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.
    “Why are you crying?” the father asked.
    “Because my friends will be jealous, I’ll have to read all these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I’ll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken,” answered the pessimist twin.
    Passing the optimist twin’s room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. “What are you so happy about?” he asked.
    To which his optimist son replied, “There’s got to be a pony in here somewhere!”

Organisations like the CEF are seemingly so well organised, so well funded and so numerous I do sometimes wonder how we can ever really counter their unrelenting assault upon the minds of our children. They know exactly what they are doing – it is unashamed abuse and if their business wasn’t categorised as ‘religion’ these inhuman beings would be locked up in the blink of an eye.

Having said all which, I honestly believe that the truth will out. The internet, and in particular blogs like this, really are the best friend of rationality and reason – and, by definition, the worst enemy of religiots. So keep it coming, Barry. CEF RIP.

I crossed paths with CEF evangelists when I was a Christian, and they were what one might term “enthusiastic”. The organization has had similar experiences to this before:

U.S. District Judge Ann Montgomery ruled that Elk River schools discriminated against the fellowship by not allowing the group to drop off literature at the schools and deprived the group of its free-speech rights. However, the district could still keep the fellowship and other outside groups from distributing literature to students by adopting a “closed” policy regarding such literature drops.

The board agonized over changing to a closed policy, but decided the court decision opened a “Pandora’s box for a lot of groups to come in and use our kids as delivery people again,” said Elk River school board chairwoman Sue Farber.

Why is religious proselytization being allowed in American schools? Can someone enlighten us please, as I thought you were very strict about that?

Oh – their activities are “not really religious”:

In the majority opinion that opened the door to Good News Clubs, supreme court Justice Clarence Thomas reasoned that the activities of the CEF were not really religious, after all. He said that they could be characterized, for legal purposes, “as the teaching of morals and character development from a particular viewpoint”.

Fuck me!

Comment (from Dawkins site): “You think that they must have hit the bottom of the barrel, always, and I mean always, to be informed that is not quite so, there seems to be a ways to go as yet!

I cannot even summon outraged rant, a very peculiar and rare occurrence is that.

This is what they have always wanted to do, it is a xian wet dream.

Access to a class full of young trusting naive wide eyed innocent faces, a bible, and time. Put the pant pissing fear of god into the kiddies they are yours for life.

And the authorities being so riven and awestruck by religious respect, stand meekly aside and let the famished great white shark of god’s hatred into the kiddie swimming pool without let or hindrance.

Maybe the greatest betrayal of all, I am not sad or angry, just disappointed that school boards are so cowardly ready and willing to herd their young impressionable charges into abject slavery misery and sacrifice so cheaply…some kiddies will suffer unnecessary guilt and anxiety for the rest of their natural lives…it is simply legalised child abuse… is it actually legal? …it is certainly an abomination those involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves…again where are the ‘moderates’…rather conspicuous by their absence.

That’s all until I recover my rant bone!”

My thoughts entirely.

the Good News Club, an after-school program sponsored by a group called the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF). The aim of the CEF is to convert young children to a fundamentalist form of the Christian faith and recruit their peers to the club.

How is this legal?

“It’s not; but a majority of the US Supreme Court are FUBAR religious pricks who would really quite like to do away with the 1st Amendment, so they make an absurd decision that teaching religious morality doesn’t count as religion. There’s not much protection against this – the founding fathers presumably never envisaged a Supreme Court so full of people who are so vehemently against the fundamentals of the Constitution.”

All my questions answered. Sorry to have posted so much at once. What do our American cousins make of this, I wonder?

12. Bassophil says:

I have been following this site for quite some time now and I love you guys!! I’m not quite sure where I am in the belief spectrum(?). I consider myself to be an agnostic. You are certainly presenting excellent arguments for atheism and most if not all of your postings are quite logical. I’m an old fart (75) so I was happy to find than some of your usual posers are not young either. I look forward to keeping up with this site.

13. Robster says:

Sneaky, sneaky people the evangelising Christians, they should be selling cars. At least the consumer has some legal redress over being sold a lemon.

@barriejohn: A “life enhancing encounter” with the death cult.

Bassophil: 67 and still learning. Great to hear from you!

@barriejohn: Good court decision there.f The focus on the classroom by the C.of E. is all they have left. The churches are emptying and they need a captive audience. They push because they are desperate. Non religious parents are much more casual, indifferent even, until they wake up to what is happening to their kids.

I read an article on the sad death of a four year old killed by the family bulldog. Now in those circumstances any solace a family can get they deserve and I am all for it. But what struck me was the insipid and tasteless tat delivered by the vicar in his sermon. He said something about God wanting the child to be a star up in the heavens he had created.

I can see that these shallow and banal comments may have provided some immediate solace. But is this, pandering to the audience, the best that could be offered. Nothing that the family might actually use to come to terms long term with their grief. Only meretricious deflection from the event. This is what is on offer, I suppose, when they infiltrate the schools.

Bassophil, welcome, it is good to hear another rational person has found us. It is difficult to gauge the age of those who post here. Me: 58, although I feel older in the mornings. Love your typo “poser” made me smile, not as bad as some of mine.

Angela: I didn’t notice that – a Freudian slip, maybe!

19. Brummie says:

Welcome Bassophil, Lets hear more of your views – uncencored.

20. Brummie says:

Or even uncensored!

21. Matt Westwood says:

Goodness, I’m a young whippersnapper here, at a sprightly 52.