THE results of a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center’s Religion and Public Life Project, released at the end of December, indicate that conservative American voters are leaning more towards creationism than they did in the past.

The Pew poll showed that number of Republicans who accept evolutionary theory has dropped by 11 points in just four years.

In 2009 , 54 percent of Republicans thought that humans evolved over time, but by 2013, that number had dropped to just 43 percent.

During the same time period, Democrats who accepted evolution increased from 64 percent to 67 percent.

Overall, 33 percent of American rejected the idea that humans evolved over time. Pew noted that the number of Americans embracing evolution had remained steady over time, but that there was an increasing divide between Democrats and Republicans.

White evangelical Protestants were the top religious group denying evolution, with 64 percent agreeing that

Humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time.

Last year, Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) — who sits on the House of Representatives science committee — called evolution and other scientific theories

Lies from the pit of Hell.

This is all music to the ears of Bryan Fischer, the national spokesman for the American Family Association, who yesterday went as far as to say that US voters should shun non-creationists seeking political office.

Bryan Fischer

Bryan Fischer

In a sexist rant – Fischer refers only to “men” – the lunatic claimed that no man can be trusted with political power unless he is a creationist, and he used the words of America’s founding fathers to support his argument. He said that the US was a Christian nation because the founders wrote:

We are created — we are not evolved — beings. It’s right there in the Declaration of Independence.

He emphasised:

‘All men are’ what? All men are ‘created’ equal, not all men are ‘evolved’ equal.

According to Fischer, so fervently did the founders believe that man is “a created being, not an evolved one that rose from a swamp,” he suggested that:

If a politician … is an evolutionist, he is disqualified from holding political office in the United States of America, because he does not share the political world view that established the United States of America.

I’m not saying there should be a law prohibiting [evolutionists] from running for public office. I’m saying that the American people shouldn’t vote for him, because if that man doesn’t believe we are created beings…he cannot be trusted to protect your civil rights, because he doesn’t believe your rights come from God.

So I want to submit to you that there is no man that can be trusted with political power – no man, not a single one, not anywhere on the planet, who can be trusted with political power if he thinks we are descendents of apes, rather than the creation of God.

41 responses to “Only dim-witted Christian males can be trusted to hold public office, says US fundie Bryan Fischer”

1. 20% Off says:

Paul Broun – Fuckwit

Bryan Fischer – another Fuckwit

I wonder whether Fischer, if he required major surgery (say for a heart problem, as he is now in his sixties), would refuse to be operated upon by someone foolish enough to have swallowed the “lie” of evolution?

3. charlie says:

These moronic asshats make me ashamed of the country I was born in and still live in, the US of A. It is now 2014, and yet this country seems to breed this stupidity by the rail car load.
    These fools and the greedy Wall Streeters will bring down the grand experiment that once was the US of A. The country had such promise when it began. Well, except for the fact that it allowed slavery and was out to kill every Native American and did not allow women equal rights. At least it tried to start out as a democratic republic.
    On a slightly happy note, Karl “turd blossom” Rove is now appalled at what has become of the monster he created. Its karma getting you Karl.

4. Peterat says:

Broun is an MD, although he can not practice medicine in any hospital in his home state???
    It just seems like such a lot of work to manouver the bible around the actual science of the earth and our existence. They spend way too much time and effort trying to square that circle that could be otherwise used more creatively (pun intended).

5. Jimby says:

Do all Christian men count as potential office holders? If so do black, Chinese, Korean, Indian men count too?

6. charlie says:

@Jimby, here in the US of A, they may count, but ONLY in very certain instances. No doubt they have to prove they are real xtians. The clowns like those in the above article will even tell you that this is a requirement in the US Constitution. It is NOT. But, as they reject real science, rejecting the actual reading and intent of the Constitution is a very small step in further stupidity. Just my opinion, I do my best to not engage with loony xtian fundies and their ilk.

For a flavour of what Charlie is on about, take a look at this site:

In the first extensive commentary on our Constitution, Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story explained that the First Amendment means Christianity only, not other beliefs. This is the intent of our Christian Founding Fathers…

While God calls men to lead the USA, the Bible shows that if there isn’t a God fearing man, then a God-fearing woman can be chosen as in the book of Judges when Deborah arose, judged and led the people to victory.

Voting for non-Christians (Mormons, Muslims, Buddhists and others), or people who just say they are Christians but don’t rule in the fear God, results in God’s Judgment. The Holy Bible warns:

“Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the LORD? Therefore the wrath of the LORD is upon you.” 2 Chronicles 19:2

To have God’s blessings, will you follow this Biblical Christian voting guide and vote for leaders who rule in the fear of God?

Speaking of creationist nutters, Ken Ham is going to debate with Bill Nye. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/01/03/bill-nye-is-going-to-debate-ken-ham/

I expect Ham will have his place packed with like minded religious nutters so Bill Nye won’t get a fair hearing.

9. Barry Duke says:

Well Angela, one hopes this comes up in the debate:
    This excited a lot of interest in Spain last month.

10. Canada Dave says:

“who can be trusted with political power if he thinks we are descendants of apes, rather than the creation of God.”

It is a truth that, in a democratic country, you elect the government that you deserve….it is an “absolute truth” in the USA.

11. Robster says:

Hang on, let’s not forget believing sincerely in talking snakes and donkeys, burning bushes, unicorns, turning naughty women into pillars of salt, virgin birth, life after death (there’s a contradiction)and the rest of the absurd nonsense required of those besotted with the Baby jesus/god/holy spook/virgin mary/ big al and mo belief systems. Compared to that stuff, belief in creationism is fairly mild nonsense.

Robster: I have been watching episodes of Raiders of the Lost Past in recent months, which often features various nutters searching for Biblical remains like the Holy Grail and Noah’s Ark, in some cases devoting their whole lives to their obsession. Tonight’s episode was all about Juris Zarins and his quest to locate the original Garden of Eden (though he actually makes more sense than many of the others!). Most archaeologists, however, dismiss his weird theories out of hand.

Here in the Theocratic States of America there is only one kind of male politician that counts and that is the ones who are white blue eye males like jesus! They may pay lip service to other less fortunate colors but they don’t really count in the grand scheme of things. And females only count when they support the same wing-nut BS but they are not really suited for the high offices. Anyone who thinks it is otherwise has not really been listening to our wonderful Re-PUKE-ian party.

14. Dave Godfrey says:

According to Genesis, man wasn’t created until day six. This moron doesn’t even know the details of his own fiction.

Even many Creationists don’t claim that living things have existed in their present form since they were “created”. To get round difficulties caused by their belief in the Noah’s Ark legend, and inconvenient facts like those thrown up by palaeontology, they accept what they call “micro-evolution”, whereby the different cat species, for example, (which they would term “types of cat”) have arisen from one parent form. One has to ask why, if Chihuahuas and St Bernards are descended from the same parents, humans and apes – which share much more obvious similarites – are not genetically related (but then that would require logical reasoning, wouldn’t it?).

No offence, Charlie, but I am pleased I don’t live the USA. That said, there are so many people in the USA that I admire and whose books I read. The problem, as I see it, is that their sane and rational comments are drowned out by the religious bigots. These bigots seem to infest USA politics and the media and to have produced a situation where, from the depths of public ignorance, an atheist is condemned as a reflex action.

There are signs of hope, however, in the colleges and on a front. There is also a hidden secularism which continues to be bullied into a phony pretence of being Christian. I have a friend in the USA who, when he and his family stayed with us, were all atheists. Back in the USA they went to church and he parked the cars of the congregation.

I discovered that if he stepped out of line he would lose clients, his children would be bullied, they would not be invited to social events any more than their parents. I wonder how many more are bullied and threatened into submission by the followers of gentle Jesus?

A bit OT but as we are talking about religious nutters in the USA, there is a loon who is going on huger-strike until equal marriage in Utah is banned again – we can hope he dies and rids the World of another bigot.

@Angela_K: This religious nutter has a hidden agenda. He is making a bid for a Darwin Award. My guess is that having got some cheap publicity he won’t go the distance.

19. Stonyground says:

I was just about to draw attention to that story but Angela_K beat me to it. Here’s my link anyway.

20. Thomas says:

While I agree that the chance of him not being sexist are very very very minor, failing to say “Men and Women” does not make him sexist.

In English, it is always grammatically correct to use the male pronoun when referring to both Men and Women, when the gender is unsure, or when referring to the human species (in that case it is being used as a synonym for “Human”, not “Male”).

21. Wayne Gifford says:

Pretty far reach to take “all men are created equal” to be an anit evolutionary statement. Darwin wouldn’t be born for another 33 years and Darwin’s Beagle voyage wouldn’t take place until 1831.

Thomas: Did you read those comments that I posted above? He means MALES!

More here – and he’s cattist too!!

24. Barry Duke says:

I think we can safely assume that Fischer is sexist. It goes with the fundamentalist Christian territory he occupies.

Now, you may well be right to to say that “it is always grammatically correct to use the male pronoun when referring to both men and women”, but when I was a junior reporter on a weekly rag in the 60s it was drummed into me by a ferocious female editor that this was utterly unacceptable.”Mankind” had to be “humankind”, and wherever possible I would have to use “he or she” or “persons” or “people”.

This was so deeply ingrained in me that more than 40 years on I still wince when the male pronoun alone is used, or when I see the word “lady”.

Anne Money banned the use of the word “lady”, saying that unless the person concerned actually possessed a title, she was to be referred to as a “woman”. Amusingly, women would frequently blast off angry letters to the editor, claiming that that the term “woman” was “disrepectful”. But this was South Africa, after all, where all black men and women were called “boys” and “girls” til the day they died.

I am so glad Anne Money shuffled of this mortal coil before the term “ladyboys” was coined.

25. Barry Duke says:

Thanks for that link, Angela. This report got me wondering whatever happened to the US couple who fled in a boat from America with their young family because they opposed gay marriage and a whole bunch of other stuff. They almost died in a storm:

Well it seems that they are safely back, but having to pay the US government $10,000 for their rescue costs.

26. Bassophil says:

Angela_K: I was glad to see your typo (huger-strike) since my first venture into this blog was also tainted with a typo (which you pointed out to me) Being a long ago retired College Prof. I should check my work more carefully. I did wonder what kind of hugs he was giving up??

Anyway all of you many times make my day. Just when I think I’ve heard it all you are able to come up with more gems of idiocy.

In reference to gay marriage, my partner and I are coming up on our 35th Anniversary!!! Since we live in one of the most backward and conservative states we probably won’t be able to wed here. An old College buddy of mine just got married in San Francisco after their 35 year long engagement.

By the way my brother (a retired Methodist Minister) said he’d be honored to marry us.

Sorry to go on so long but you folks make me feel like a real person with nothing to be ashamed of. The very best to you all in 2014.

@Bassophil: Good to hear from, Bassophil, and I hope you keep contributing. One of the great things about this site is its confident open door approach. The religious bigots still come here but they rarely stay. I enjoy their visits much of the time as they provide examples of the irrationality of religious belief.

I’m heterosexual, 40 plus years married, and I can’t see what the problem is when people are gay. The problem arises when priests (sometimes paedophiles) and their supporters want to decide what people do in bed.

I have just been watching Dave Allen: God’s Own Comedian again. “People ask me what I think about priests getting married. I say, if two priests love each other and want to marry I have no problem with that.” Marvellous!

Bassophil: Great to hear from the likes of you. I’m glad you enjoy our ramblings, but it would be lovely to read more comments from those like you who dip into this site from day to day. Input from new contributors keeps the site from becoming stale. I don’t want to become a member of a little clique who keep talking amongst themselves!

Here’s the whole thing for anyone who hasn’t seen it, and especially for anyone who hasn’t heard of Dave Allen!

30. Gordon Bennet says:

If any of you want to keep an eye on Fischer and his fellow nut jobs here is the place to go.
    Happy New Year.

‘I was brought up by the Carmalite Nuns – the Gestapo in drag!’
    Dave Allen. Thanks for the link barriejohn – it has so brightened up a cloudy day in NZ!

Mr. Fisher – if by any slim chance you read this blog please go and enrole in the online Coursera ‘Gentics and Evolution’ course, which is being presented by an Arabic lecturer from Duke University in your own great country the USA (no irony intended). There, in the very first lecture, you will be shown, in utterly transparent detail, how natural selection has impacted upon the Peppered Moth in such a way, that this brilliant little creature has evolved several times into its black and white forms. The evidence is as concrete as the Himalayan mountains. Human pollution has driven the natural selection of the Peppered Moth, not god. You may then, Mr Fischer, understand what you are trying to criticise – and understanding might bring you enlightenment, because this is what you sorely need.

1859: Glad you enjoyed it. I’ve posted the following clip before, but you never know who has actually viewed it!

This new programme was also broadcast last evening, but is only available on BBC iPlayer so far. TV heaven!

@barriejohn: You make a good point about more contributors. I find those from outside the UK, and particularly the religion infested USA, particularly welcome. Charlie is a great addition.

I always perk up when I see someone from Australia and New Zealand. I’ve never been there but both my children have and enjoyed the experience and that reflects on me.

35. Trevor Blake says:

Mr. Fischer is unfamiliar with an obscure and rare book called The Bible. The Bible states the powers that be are ordained by God. Mr. Fischer seems to hold his ability to select politicians above that of his God. Perhaps he can find a Bible to read some day and address his ignorance.

@Bassophil. Please keep coming back here, as others have already said, it is good to have new contributors with a sometimes different perspective.

OK, hoist by my own petard, I really should use a spell checker.

@Broga et al: I emigrated 8 years ago from the UK to New Zealand and this site has been somewhat of a lifeline to the world of sanity. NZ is a very secular place. Schools are strictly secular as is local government. There’s no fucking aristocracy, no House of unelected ‘Lords’. Civil unions and marriage between gay couples passed into law about 18 months ago, but had been quietly tolerated for many years. We have Jewish friends who attend the only synagogue in Auckland whose Rabbi is openly gay and an atheist! There are even some provocative ‘churches’ – one here in Auckland is regularly in the news for showing billboards with ‘unchristian xmas’ themes (one showed Joseph offering Mary a condom to which she replied ‘Not tonight Jo, I want you to wear these pair of wings instead.’). The only groups that are vociferously religious are all christians – from Korea, China, the Philipines and especially the indigenous Maoris. Then there are the Afrikaaners (recent arrivals) who have their own churches. But those New Zealanders of European origin (the vast majority) are mostly totally indifferent to religion – as long as it doesn’t come knocking on their doors.

So, although I don’t always know what to write or comment on some of the crazy things I read on this site, the site – for me personally – is a constant and necessary reminder that the world out there is still full of institutionalised superstition and blind irrationality that always, always needs challenging in the name of reason and common sense, and I’m so glad The Freethinker site exists! So there! (fading drum roll!)

@barriejohn: May I offer you this link of Billy Conally on religion (you probably know it), but I almost seriously pissed myself laughing:

1859: If only others would tell it like it is, as Billy Connolly does. The audience reaction gives one hope, as does the enduring popularity of another great from the past:

The Americans obviously aren’t ALL fruitcakes!

barriejohn: Have you tried this from Bill Maher?