Preacher to the deaf comes out as an atheist

Preacher to the deaf comes out as an atheist

AROUND three years ago the Virtual Deaf Church came into being, the brainchild of Pastor Justin Vollmar.

Its aim was bring, in sign language, the Christian message to hearing-impaired YouTube viewers. Various topics were tackled, ranging from Is Jesus truly God? to – believe it or not – the gay movie Brokeback Mountain, which Vollmar encouraged his followers to see.

He confessed to having “felt silly”  for his initial  negative reaction to the movie, but then declared:

It is a very good movie. I encourage you to watch it.

This rather upset one of his viewers. Jana Bielfeldt blathered:

Remember our heart is deceived. Gay or homosexuality is sin. They struggle with their conscience know what’s right and wrong. God gave each human on earth the conscience.

The gay lifestyle is not acceptable from the bible teaching. We as Christians are responsible to love them and treat them as sinners just like everyone but they need to realize it is sin. They will not go to heaven period regardless they are nice people and can’t be help with it (sic).

Our Jana will be even less impressed with Vollmar’s latest video, because it serves as a declaration of his having ditched religion and is now a full-blown atheist.

In his “coming out” vlog Vollmar explains that he enrolled in seminary to obtain his masters degree in Theology. But his intense study of the Bible didn’t strengthen his faith. It led him away from it.

Vollman, happy to have shed the shackles of superstition

Vollmar, happy to have shed the shackles of superstition

Vollmar joined the Clergy Project not too long ago, giving him the opportunity to talk to other pastors like himself who were also closeted atheists.

Not wanting to preach a gospel he no longer accepts and not wanting to lie to his viewers, he took a break from making videos for about five months (with one exception a few days ago)… only to come back over the weekend to post just one more.

The Friendly Atheist Hermant Mehta said:

No word yet on what Vollmar’s next steps will be, but he may have already taken the largest one.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

37 responses to “Preacher to the deaf comes out as an atheist”

1. tony e says:

This made my day and I wish him well on his new voyage of discovery.

2. JohnMWhite says:

So this person admits (through tortured English) that his god is a worse person than he is. They’re nice people but they’ll burn forever and never enter heaven because my god doesn’t like where they put their privates. Worship that? Never.

Is it Vollman or Vollmar? The article keeps switching between the spellings, but either way I applaud his courage not only to admit his decision in public, but to admit his conclusion to himself. A lot of people are so afraid of the big bad god they daren’t accept the wickedness of its message while continuing to try to spread it as far as possible.

3. Barry Duke says:

Sorry John, it’s Vollmar and it’s been corrected. The last few days the site has been a bastard to maintain; keeps freezing and crashing and generally playing silly buggers. It’s been driving me nuts!

I’m sure that we can all think of some very appropriate signs that we could make to convey our feelings about religion. What a great idea!

Meanwhile, don’t miss the comments on Friendly Atheist’s thread:

I didn’t even make it to seminary. I transferred to a Christian university as a devoted evangelical Christian to major in youth ministry and minor in biblical and theological studies; after 6 semesters filled with Bible classes, I graduated as a post-evangelical progressive Christian with a TON of questions. Two years later, after much reading and research to find answers to those questions (plus a highly traumatic wake-up call to what real life is like for lower-class people), I realized that I was an atheist. And it all started with classes that showed me a Bible I had never known about in church.

5. John C says:

They will not go to heaven regardless,so true,but neither will the grovellers. Sadly, they will be unaware of not going to heaven,the last laugh remains for the living.

6. Bassophil says:

Wow! This may be off subject, but here in the US of A the Methodist church( in which I grew up) has reverted to the 14th century and is now holding “trials” of ministers who have performed same sex weddings. HORRORS!!! It reminds me of the Monte Python skit…”You never know when to expect the Spanish Inquisition!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

When will this idiocy stop??

Bassophil: The NSS highlighted that yesterday with the following link. Religiots looking even more stupid than they normally do!

Please forgive me for repeating myself, but I am assured that at my age it is quite acceptable. When I was an eager young Christian I had severe doubts (quelle surprise), but older Christians advised me that “It is good to have doubts”. I never found out why, and no one was able to explain it to me. If you are going to base your whole life – and “eternal destiny” – on your beliefs, shouldn’t you be 100% sure that they are correct?Here is someone else dispensing to any members of his flock who might have a brain cell in ther heads similar advice to that which I received. I love the photo!

@barriejohn; Interesting link on doubt. If he really wants to “go deeper” into his faith and deal with doubt he should invite an articulate atheist to his discussions. I suspect that what he seeks to provide are rationalisations, making tendentious points and casuistry.

I have come across this exploring doubts approach before. In my experience what it means is deciding on the outcome i.e. God exists and Jesus is the way to salvation, before the start and finding ways to convince everyone.

It would be fascinating to know what they doubt: the virgin birth, the resurrection, Jesus walking on water, the psychopathic God with his demand for endless praise, the statements in the bible which are fraudulent and contradicted by history. They have lots to do.

10. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, I have also come across this, my sister, among others, have expressed slight doubts in the past but after discussion/indoctrination with a church group have always returned to their god. In my sister’s case as a more fundamentalist believer.

I think doubt for some is no more than a word, a sort of cool part of becoming a better believer – “Look at me, I doubted my god and now it loves me even more.” OK, that is not a direct quote but it is the sort of emetic remark I have heard from fundies.

Broga: These people are not seeking the truth – they are convinced that they have it, and all evidence that comes their way has to be interpreted in the light of that fact. They take individual points and try to find fault in them, rather than seeing the big picture. I have likened it to someone hacking away – strand by strand – at the vast hawsers that used to hold those great liners like the Queen Mary when I was a boy, and saying: “That wasn’t very strong, was it?”. There is more about Abraham’s camels here today:

They won’t give up!

12. The Woggler says:

“Gay or homosexuality is sin.” Where do this people learn English?

“We as Christians are responsible to love them and treat them as sinners just like everyone but they need to realize it is sin.”

So gays are sinners like everybody else. Whats your point?

@Stephen Mynett: I suppose most atheists have believing, and usually unthinking, relatives. I usually meet mine at marriages and funerals and the occasional visit when they are in the area and want to drop in. They always raise the subject of religion. I never do. But I refuse to let them preach at me without exercising the right of reply.

It is clear to me that the most fundamentalist not only do not hear what I say but cannot. One example was when I asked how all the animals in the world, including koalas with a special diet in then unknown Australia, could be on the Ark. All she did, and does, is wait until she can unload her next bible supported comment.

A couple of them could be threatening as they think I am going to hell. My response to this is to ask them if their lives really justify passage into an eternity of bliss in heaven.

14. Marky Mark says:

Hello all…been awhile.
    I almost died!
    My appendix ruptured and poisoned my body infecting my blood, intestines, spleen and other important organs. My surgeon says had I not been a physically strong person I’d have died for sure…and it was science and doctors that saved me…not payer.
    Did have the chance to read more Hitchens, Dawkins, Machiavelli… amongst others.
    Off topic but thought I’d let ya know what happened to me and why I stopped posting here.

15. Marky Mark says:

One more thing…A gal that works at my surgeons office is a big Hitchens fan and I go early just to talk with her about his books I’ve read, especially “God is not Great”, which she has not read yet. I’m thinking of leading her my copy…since I’m still under his care and recovering and will continue to have to visit him. I now have a scar on my abdomen that runs from my chest to dam near my crotch.

MM: I’m glad to hear that you survived. I was in hospital with heart problems before Christmas – those lovely Christians have obviously been putting their curses on us. Still, God must have left us here for a purpose, so let’s get on with the job!

Marky Mark, nice to have you back here. Good job you didn’t fall into the hands of religious nutters or you wouldn’t be here. I remember some religious wacko I was arguing with telling me that god guided the Surgeon’s hand! Face/Palm.

18. Marky Mark says:

Another thing…been checking out documentaries from the local library and watched one about the Beatles and their performance on the Ed Sullivan Show here in the usa in like 64. I seen the show live as a child but don’t remember it. After watching it again I realized what a good fu*ken band they were. The first show was mostly Mcartney, but the following show that aired a week later featured Lennon and his performance of “This Boy”, and “Twist and Shout” was exceptionally good. ..just thought you brits might like to know this.

19. Marky Mark says:

Thanks Barrie and Angela. Sorry to hear about the Heart Barrie, we need to take better care of ourselves. Was your hospital stay as interesting as mine?? I wrote a piece about my stay that I prob should publish…especially when the nurses were stuffing a plastic tube through my nose and down my throat…and just like the exorcist movie this smelly green slime blew back out of my mouth and covered three of them…LOL. They realizes how sick I was after that and began pumping it out of my body for about three days…than surgery

20. Stephen Mynett says:

Marky Mark, glad you survived and are back with us. Also good to hear people acknowledge those who should be acknowledged, it always annoys me when I see people who have been in hospital and/or close to death to start praising their lord and thanking the people who prayed for them, seemingly ignoring all the experts who trained long and hard for the skills needed to save people.

I wont disagree about the Beatles, although I always thought the Kinks were a better band. If you want a bit of fun, check out The Punkles, a Hamburg band who play Beatles songs in the style of the Ramones.

21. Marky Mark says:

(I remember some religious wacko I was arguing with telling me that god guided the Surgeon’s hand!)
    LOL..I know what guided my surgeons hand, his years of experience. He is like 70 years old and still out there working, saving people. I got lucky when he was appointed to me, he knew exactly what was wrong with me.

22. Marky Mark says:

Hello Stephen …I love The Kinks, L.O.L.A. Lola! I don’t know if one could call them better or worst than the Beatles, more of ones personal taste. No doubt the Beatles had an influence on them.

MM: I was in Southampton General Hospital – where I was born, incidentally, and where several of my family members have been employed (my mother’s father was the first of the family to clap eyes on me – their first grandson – in 1946!) – and the care that I received was absolutely wonderful. The same was true when my father had a double heart bypass in 2001, so the National Health Service CAN get things right sometimes!

Not the best chosen of words!

25. Marky Mark says:

(“Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue with that; I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first – rock and roll or Christianity.” (John Lennon)
    And lets not forget how the Christians once called rock & roll the devils music…and now they have Christian rock…WTF! There are no rules with these people, what ever brings in the bucks. They also were the ones who hated Elvis when he first came out…now he is their king.

26. Marky Mark says:

So Barrie…was it an actual Heart attack? Or somthing else?

27. Marky Mark says:

(The Beatles visited America in February 1964, and that visit had a huge effect on the development of popular music.)

I seen an interview with David Crosby of “Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young”, and he says he was most impressed with that performance. As were most American musicians of that era. Crosby said he was interested in what guitar’s they were using…and Lennon’s double pick-ups on his guitar.

After watching that Doc I checked out the Anthology DVD set and watched the whole thing in one day. I was surprised at how often the Beatles used electric acoustic guitars in their performances’. It is apparent in that documentary that McCartney broke up the Beatles and not Yoko Ono. They have him on film fighting with everyone in the band.

28. Marky Mark says:

Ok…good to post with ya’s again but i should go now. Still hard to sit infront of a computer for very long. I’m mostly stuck laying on a heating pad. I can’t believe it has been six months and I’m still hurting.

29. Cameron says:

Welcome to the real world.

30. tony e says:

MM, good to have you back (in the real world!)

31. Marky Mark says:

Thanks Tony & Cameron

MM: I didn’t have a heart attack – it was a blocked artery, and I have had a stent fitted!

33. xanderxvr says:

If your looking for the truth, you can go to http://www.godisimaginary.com

34. Marky Mark says:

“blocked artery”…Ahh. I was told there are two types of cholesterol we produce, one good and one bad. I happen to produce the “Good” cholesterol I’m told and can eat anything I want…but sadly that did not help my Appendix.
    I imagine your doctor told you that you must start a workout program…and you must workout until you sweat. I was told I must start walking more as that increase’s the circulation in my abdomen.

Glad you survived.

35. […] his astonishing “coming out” video that we reported on Monday, Vollmar went into greater depth about his loss of faith this week, claiming that doubts began […]

36. […] his astonishing “coming out” video that we reported on Monday, Vollmar went into greater depth about his loss of faith this week, claiming that doubts began […]