Sexual abuse makes folk hostile to the idea of God

Sexual abuse makes folk hostile to the idea of God

US TELEVANGELIST Pat Robertson yesterday offered viewers an explanation as to why atheist women refuses to accept Jesus as their person savior: They were probably the victims of abuse or rape.

A viewer named Sandra informed Robertson in a letter that she could not understand why an atheist coworker was:

Openly hostile at the mere mention of God.

This happened whenever the writer tried

To bring her to Jesus.

And the arrogant, interfering and annoying Jesus pest  she asked the old loon:

Should I abandon the idea of being a positive influence on her and just let her perish?

Robertson speculated that the coworker could be controlled by

Something that is demonic … or something that is deep ingrained. But to be that openly hostile to the word ‘God,’ it’s something beyond the normal human experience. Something has happened.Maybe she had an abusing father, somebody who raped her and acted like he was preaching to her from the Bible. You just never know what’s going on in somebody’s childhood.

In the end, Robertson said that the viewer may have done all she could do for the atheist coworker.

Just pray for that anointing.

31 responses to “Sexual abuse makes folk hostile to the idea of God”

1. mikespeir says:

I don’t remember having been raped or abused. But if Pat says so…. Then again, I don’t get “Openly hostile at the mere mention of God.”

He’s right, actually. I was fucked by the religious and that’s why I am now an “evangelical atheist”!

3. Alenonimo says:

They may be onto something there. I was consistently raped in the ear by their religious rigmarole.

4. Stonyground says:

If I was being constantly pestered by a coworker trying to convert me to Christianity I think that I would become hostile as well. If ‘polite but firm’ doesn’t work you have to escalate. It sounds as though Sandra won’t take ‘no’ for an answer and then she wonders why people get pissed off at her.

If an Atheist woman is hostile to god because she was raped or abused, how about those raped or abused by priests, many continue to be infected with religion.

Stonyground: You’re right. The woman isn’t “hostile”; she’s just fed up with having religion constantly rammed down her throat at her place of work. We know that these people just won’t take no for an answer, and use every opportunity to “witness”, as her remark about the danger of the woman “perishing” shows (assuming that the letter is genuine, as many aren’t). I hope she does all her proselytising in her own free time, and not while she is being paid, as that would be a MOST unchristian course of action!

7. oldmanjenkins38 says:

I believe Sandra has poor social skills and cannot “read” the social cues that were being given (probably initially non-verbally). Her co-worker was probably not “hostile” towards her christian myth but would wager to bet Sandra is one of these die hard fanatics who feel they have to thrust their mythology on everyone. This co-worker did what anyone would do when someone isn’t getting the idea we are not interested, they became assertive and told her to stuff a cork in it!

Dear Sandra,

I have read some interesting books too, but unless I know someone is as enthusiastic as I about its content, I tend not to smother him/her with my excitement. And if I talk about the book I am excited about to someone and they do not share my excitement, I am able to read their non-verbal cues and shut my trap.

Religion should be treated like sex. Whatever two consenting adults do in the privacy of their domicile is none of my business. But you bring the sex into the public domain, then “we” have a problem.

8. Graham Martin-Royle says:

This old goat is obsessed by sex. He obviously didn’t get enough in his life.

As for the co-worker, just STFU about your religion and everything will be hunky-dory.

9. charlie says:

This story reminds me of some religious clown who came by my home in SoCal, it was only about 5 weeks after my wife of 24+ years had died of complications from glio-blastoma, a form of brain cancer.
    He was taking a survey, would I answer some questions, so having not much else to do that day, I agreed. Every answer I gave, he would ask me if maybe I might mean a different “interpretation” of my reply. After the third question, I was being very patient and polite for whatever reason I don’t remember, I just told him he’d be better off just taking his survey and filling it out with the replies he wanted rather than continuing to waste my time, piss off my cats(I was on the front porch and they wanted me inside to play with them), and he was beginning to piss me off with his trying to work his interpretations as my replies. The guy actually looked at me as if I had just killed his grandmother and then ate her as he watched.
    Some of these god botherers are just so damn irritating that you HAVE to get down right nasty just to get them to shut up and let you be.

10. georgina says:

Atheists of the world – our ethical values require us to help free women like this from their mistaken mission of converting others to slavery.
    An evangelical is getting on your nerves because she is miserable, tired of her lack of autonomy, she is crying out to be rescued from religious oppression.
    Do not turn your backs on her in disgust, help her see enlightenment and learn to be free.

I worked with an evangelical for years. He was always wanting others to “come and share my witness.” He always carried a bible, seemed devoid of embarrassment and could never get anywhere on time.

I concluded that he, and other evangelicals, could not accept their mortality. They were obsessed with the fantasy that they would live for ever. In pursuit of this fantasy every rational thought that might challenge it was excluded from their thinking. They were frightened people.

12. JenL says:

Back in the day, my older brother had a good friend who had a bi-polar disorder of some sort. When he was “down”, he would talk about how there was no God, etc.

But when he was “up”? He would downtown, go into one of the taller buildings, and ride the elevators up and down in order to preach the “good news” to the folks trapped on the elevator with him for a few minutes.

oldmanjenkins38. Interesting you mention poor social skills, it seem to go hand in hand with a lot of religious types. I wonder if these people became religious because of their social inferiority or does religion rot the brain so badly it makes them social misfits that can only get along with others so effected.

OT but I have just came across the following article on the BBC News website about ex-Co-op Bank chief, the Methodist minister Paul Flowers (not that many news outlets bother to mention that this idiot is a minister). Apparently having had time to reflect on his arrest after being caught on film buying just about every illicit substance under the sun, this ‘man of god’ says ‘I have sinned’ and admits that ‘some of his ‘frailties’ had been exposed in the public domain’. No shit, Sherlock! He also sounds disappointed that ‘You certainly find out who your friends are because a significant number of people in politics and in the Co-op, and some in the Church, have been noticeable by their silence or their absence.’ Gosh, I wonder why, Minister?

15. charlie says:

@AgentCormac, that Mr. Flowers is just doing what old Jimmy Swaggart(sp) did with his “I have committed a mendacity” act on camera. Not sure if that was after the first or second time he got caught with his pants down in the company of a prostitute.
    @Angela_K, you ask if the become religious because of poor social skills or does religion kill off what social skills they used to have. I’ll go out on a limb and say BOTH. Some most likely do join a church because they have poor social skills and the church claims to accept all as they are, well, sort of, sometimes. I also am certain than long term exposure to religious fundies WILL destroy whatever social skills a person may have had. Either way, religious fundies of any brand of god botherer are ones we want to avoid.

What’s happening to Robertson’s face in that pic? Is it melting? Perhaps, like Moses, he’s been getting to close to the Almighty. He receives direct communications from heaven, so none of his pronouncements should be taken lightly:

This is funny:

In 2006, Robertson claimed a “word of knowledge” that devastating hurricanes would hit American shores, but he was wrong; none made landfall. In 2007, Robertson relayed divine information of a terrorist attack on American soil with millions killed. This didn’t happen, but he had an explanation (of sorts): “So, did I miss it? Possibly. Or, on the other hand, did God avert it? Possibly. But, whatever, it didn’t happen, so I think we can all rejoice.” I don’t know about everybody, but I certainly concurred that avoiding biological, chemical or nuclear catastrophe is a pretty good thing to get happy about.

I think that any sane person who lives in America needs a fucking good sense of humour!

@barriejohn: He looks like a cross between a Hobbit and ET. Notice it doesn’t even enter his head that maybe, just maybe, the woman is rejecting the advances of her religious tormentor, because she is thinking for herself and finds belief in god an insult to her intelligence. Instead he looks for some psychological aberration, some trauma to explain it. What a looney!

19. Trevor Blake says:

“somebody who raped her and acted like he was preaching to her from the Bible.”

Why I’ve never heard of such a thing. Everyone knows that our prisons are full of atheists and the majority of scientists, educators and artists are religious. What a crazy world it would be if the opposite were true. I can’t even imagine it.

20. andym says:

@ barriejohn. We’ve talked about Kurt Vonnegut on here before. He was the personification of that necessary “fucking good sense of humour.”

@ andym

Vonnegut being brilliant:

22. Ex Patriot says:

I had the misfortune of living in the back assward states of OK for some years because of a job. During that time I had my share of god bothers come to my door and I tried to be almost civil but there were times when I wasn’t and would have liked to kick their asses down the drivway. When the morons came to the door and I saw who it was I always made sure I had either a beer or a drink in my hand, that usually worked.

andym/AC: Very funny. Who now remembers Michael Bentine? Sadly for such a brilliant man he became involved in parapsychology, maybe as a result of losing two of his children quite tragically (one to cancer and the other in an aeroplane accident).

Ex Patriot: The worst people that you can possibly encounter are the ones who are so thick that they think THEY are the clever ones. I met countless of them in the Brethren, and you just can’t reason with them.

25. Canada Dave says:

@barriejohn

“and you just can’t reason with them.”

The key word is “reason” and always will be.
    They cannot use reason as it corrupts the value of faith and without the faith their ideas about anything related to religion are useless.

Canada Dave: That’s quite true, as reason militates against faith, but you meet these people in all walks of life. They are a real pain in the backside!

27. andym says:

@ barrie. The writer Arthur Koestler went down the same route as well. I think it was as a result of experiments by Rhine at Duke University which, at the time, seemed to prove telepathy. Now, people are not so sure that they did.

@andym: It is good to keep an open mind about things of which there is little evidence, though my personal view of telepathy is that were it to exist we wouldn’t even need to ask the question. Do we question whether dreams actually exist? It seems that some brilliant people – like Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, for example – are badly affected by personal tragedy, and that what they are really obsessed with is proving that there is “something else”. It’s very sad.

29. andym says:

Barrie. Personally I think any form of parapsychology is unlikely.But, from what I understand of quantum physics, it can’t be absolutely ruled out either.As you say,keep an open, but sceptical, mind. As someone once said, if your mind is too open, everything falls out.

30. Fran says:

I was abused by the church with them telling lies about a god that does not exist, only in the minds of evil people. People who hear voices need medical help.