Greek toddler says NO to baptism

Greek toddler says NO to baptism

A THREE-year-old girl is hauled into a Greek church for a baptism. She effectively says “no way!” and the priest attempting to carry out this bit of Christian voodoo walks away.

The video of the girl’s refusal to along with this mumbo-jumbo finds its way onto YouTube, and attracts a great many comments, all Greek to me.

But one of the commenters explains in English that the godmother and the aunt of the child had made it clear  – in a comment inexplicable removed later from YouTube – that another priest has been found to do the woo.

The godmother explained that:

For family reasons, the kid couldn’t be baptised earlier. We had prepared her for the mystery with simple words that a 3-year old kid would understand. But she got scared, as any kid could. We think that while the kid is young, its parents [should] decide for it …

I would like to tell you that the baptism finally took place, with another priest.

She added the Priest #1 had told the family “I told you so” before he walked off. Earlier he said he would not baptise children reluctant to submit to this ritual. She huffed:

He thinks that a 3 y.o. kid has judgement and opinion.

And she added:

19 responses to “Greek toddler says NO to baptism”

1. TrickyDicky says:

“If you think we are wrong because we want to keep the manners, the customs, the traditions, and our religion, feel free to characterize us as you want”

Well I will, Backward Morons.

21st century voodoo perpetrated on a defenceless child.

Oh, okay then. Firstly, what ‘simple words’ could possibly, ever explain the meaning of all that religious bollocks to a three-year-old? It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to this 53-year-old who has thought long and hard about the subject, so what chance has a child got? Secondly, parents ‘deciding’ for their children about subjects such as baptism isn’t some kind of benevolent act of kindness and parental responsibility – it is an abdication of that responsibility and is called indoctrination, or in my book, abuse. Thirdly, what 3-year-old child has ever ‘submitted to this ritual’? They are forced to be initiated into the xtian sect by unthinking, unquestioning parents who have themselves been subjected to abuse as children. And finally, sorry – but manners, customs, traditions and religion are not off limits these days. Just because something has been one way for a long while does not make it right or justifiable. For thousands of years slavery was a perfectly normal, acceptable practice. Not any more. And it is my sincere hope and belief that it won’t be too long now before your ludicrous religion and its open abuse of children will be viewed with exactly the same distaste and disdain.

4. remigius says:

OT. I see Frankie is about to accept that as his flock use contraception then he, as a kindly, tolerant, wonderful, man is moving towards saying it is OK. Tough on all those elderly RCs who spent lives of pent up frustration avoiding the sin of using contraceptives only to hear from Frankie that it isn’t a sin.

What next? Married priests so that they leave little boys alone?

6. Barry Duke says:

Someone called “Stanislav” just sent me a long, rambling email, berating me for posting this piece. The priest, he said, should have persisted with the baptism, which would have served to drive the “demons”out of this “clearly possessed” child, but instead he “acted like a prima donna” and walked away from his responsibilities,

Strewth! The manure that winds up in my inbox !

I expect she realized that all children are born Muslim.

The Prophet (PBUH) reported that Allah said, “I created my servants in the right religion but devils made them go astray”. The Prophet (PBUH) also said, “Each child is born in a state of “Fitrah”, then his parents make him a Jew, Christian or a Zoroastrian, the way an animal gives birth to a normal offspring. Have you noticed any that were born mutilated?”

Wonderful, isn’t it?

OT but I see the vatican has actually found one of its own guilty of sex abuse. Now watch them pack him off to a remote monastery somewhere to pray for forgiveness – and be conveniently out of the reach of secular authorities.

9. Bubba T Flubba says:

Horrid brat……..not the kid but the mother. What else is a 3 year old going to do but panic when confronted by some sinister overdressed fruitcake ………I say ban the pious from getting anywhere near children. If a young adult wants to be splashed with water and mumbled at by some gruesome cleric then that’s ok. I refused to be confirmed at age 12 because I found the whole idea of religious observance dark, sinister, nauseating, distasteful and shady. All 5 of my siblings were confirmed but I kicked back at parental pressure and clerical threats. And I am really most gratified that I did. I had contempt for the pious then……..and over time that contempt has grown and is fully justifiable. Just go read the news…..and tell me religion has even the minutest mote of morality.

remigius
    ‘I’m not surprised the little girl refused baptism. I once had holy water splashed on my face – that stuff burns!’
    That only happens to vampires!!!!
    Do you have a little secret that you are not telling us???

11. Norman Paterson says:

“Earlier he said he would not baptise children reluctant to submit to this ritual.” I’m not surprised. I wouldn’t try to carry out any procedure on an unwilling three-year-old. They are strong enough to inflict injury, loud enough to wake the dead, and they don’t have any inhibitions. Little savages, really.

12. Trevor Blake says:

“Okay dear, let me explain. An invisible monster that lives in the sky made you to suffer eternal torture, but if you get this magic spell then He will change His unchanging mind and although you are still a horrible person from conception onward you get to live in outer space. You see, Rib Woman got tricked by a talking snake so the Invisible Monster killed Himself as a sacrifice. I love you.”

Perfectly simple words.

If we still had a ‘Like’ facility, I would definitely be giving your comment the thumb-up, Mr Blake.

And if we still had an ‘Edit’ facility I’d now be changing that ‘thumb-up’ to ‘thumbs-up’.

15. Matt Westwood says:

I was baptised at 3. I remember it well. I blubbered from the humiliation of having my head wetted by a man in a dress.

I was 8 when the RC priest tried to baptise me – I knocked the dish out of his hands! Guess I’ve been possessed ever since. I have to say I’m heartily glad the devil got me first.
    But really doesn’t what this 3 year old did highlight the obvious fact that the older a child gets, the more they can understand what they like and don’t like? Sure, they are not making a rational judgement, but an instinctual one, but it is at least their decision – not some brainwashed parents or priests. But of course the priests know only full well that the opposite is true: ‘Give me a child at five and he’s mine for life.’ as the old saying goes – the younger a child is, the easier they can perform the voodoo. If it was only allowed to baptise people over 18 years old the entire edifice of organised religion would collapse – and the priests et al know it!

17. Robster says:

At least they weren’t wanting to chop off and mutilate the baby’s genitalia. Splashing a bit of water and mumbling mumbo jumbo while dressed in silly clothing is bad enough. Telling the kid that at some point she’ll be expected to dine on the preferred deity on a regular ongoing basis is the scary part. Is it a healthy thing to tell kids that cannibalism is desirable? I’d suggest not.

18. Matt Westwood says:

I was always really hungry when I was in church as a youngster, having tried unsuccessfully to choke down the half a grapefruit I was given for breakfast. So the concept of all these lucky adults munching away on bread and wine and us children not getting any made me really envious. I would have eaten raw vicar at that point, had I been offered any.

I was also really envious of those lucky children who went off to Sunday School after the first hymn because they got biccies and orange juice half way through their fun.

I never did learn why I was never allowed to go to Sunday School but instead had to sit in horrible smelly draughty church with its itchy hard cushions and nasty horrid (adult-sized) pews I would regularly crack my chin against while struggling to kneel down. I really, really, really, *really* used to hate weekends. (Schooldays were of course worse, it was a church school.)

19. The Adept says:

Why bother?
    It did not matter for 3 years and she is not interested.
    Jesus was baptized as an adult; may his example be ignored?