Here he’s an ‘idiot’; in Uganda he’s a sage

Here he’s an ‘idiot’; in Uganda he’s a sage

SCOTT Lively, the American evangelical screwball who’s been a’messin’ with politics in Uganda, and was instrumental in getting anti-gay legislation passed there, came under the magnifying glass when US TV presenter John Oliver examined the damage being done in Africa by vicious Christian lunatics.

Uganda recently passed a law that imposes life sentences on those convicted of “aggravated homosexuality”.

Said Oliver on the Last Week Tonight show:

Calling Uganda’s laws ‘harsh’ doesn’t really do them justice. That’s like calling Stalin ‘a bit of a grump,’ or the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire a ‘whoopsie-doo’. Or the Titanic a ‘disappointing vacation’.

Pointing out that, since the anti-gay legislation went into effect in Uganda, actual attacks on gays in the country have increased between 750 to 1,900 percent from previous years, Oliver said:

It’s gotten to the point where people from the dark ages could build a time machine, travel to 2014 Uganda, step outside and go ‘ah shit, it didn’t work.

Asking how Uganda’s laws had become so extreme, Oliver noted that the country has the support of American anti-gay evangelicals like Scott Lively.

Scott Lively is clearly an idiot, and luckily, over here we just get to laugh at him.

In Uganda, however, Lively is held in such esteem, that he was allowed to address the Ugandan Parliament for five hours!

I don’t know what is more shocking here. That he addressed the parliament at all or that he did it for five hours. Because, listen, if your hard-on for homophobia lasts five hours, you need to seek medical attention.

Oliver shared clips of Lively telling spewing his hatred of gays to Ugandans, equating homosexuality with paedophilia, and calling gays “monsters” and “Nazis”.

Noting that Uganda’s extreme anti-gay legislation passed following his appearances there, Oliver shared a clip of Lively disavowing any responsibility.

Oh no, no, of course not. You were simply saying ‘look guys, gay people are dangerous insidious Nazis… do with that information what you will. Lively out. Lively out.

Now here’s a thing: When we reported last week that the UK’s very own Scott Lively, the odious Paul Shinners from St Neots, had finally been exposed in a video as one of them venomous Christian reptiles stirring up hatred in Uganda, we included a link to a post that appeared on the Christian Bookshops blog, apparently written by one Phil Groom, who has been staunchly defending Shinners ever since the story broke.

It began:

Despite a lack of evidence to support allegations of homophobia made against Paul Shinners of Cornerstone, St Neots, bloggers in the UK, Spain and the USA have continued with their campaign against him, leading to further business disruptions …

That blog entry has now completely disappeared.

16 responses to “Here he’s an ‘idiot’; in Uganda he’s a sage”

1. Paul Cook says:

Does anyone else see he looks just like that wonderful African Christian Nazi Eugene Terreblanche.

Five hours? Men like him occupy a fetid area of bigotry and they are going to seek that out. They know they will be acclaimed by the ignorant and the cruel whereas in more civilised communities they are regarded as fools and bigots.

These grisly nutters dress with an obnoxious tidiness which has gone out of fashion – just like their beliefs.

There are several other sites on the net that have commented on Shinners:

Things seem very quiet in St Neots at the moment!

Here’s another that mentions Scott Lively as well, and which may have been featured here previously:

Broga: These shysters are fast losing their influence in the civilized world, so what’s the answer? Simple – peddle your nonsense to less well-educated and less sophisticated, gullible souls in the Third World. American evangelists are having success beyond their wildest dreams in Africa at the moment – healing thousands and even raising the dead. Why this isn’t solving all the problems of the continent is a moot point!

“Jesus has shown up here in Kampala, Uganda, in an amazing way”:

@barriejohn: I came across a comment a few months ago from a missionary being funded in the USA. He said some along the lines of, “We must ensure that the good news which has changed so many lives in the USA is preached to those in other countries who are thirsting for the knowledge of their lord and saviour.”

The comment is memorable, for me anyway, by the use of the word “thirsting.” And I wondered how the unsaved masses in Africa, where he was headed, could be “thirsting” for something of which they were ignorant.

I reckon you are right. As the secular challenge develops and strengthens they are looking for a more compliant and receptive audience.

7. Rob Andrews says:

i hear a lot about ‘Islamophobia’ But gays and atheists-even in europe–have a right to be Islamophobic.And now ‘christianophobic’

i can’t believe the media in the USdoesn’t give much attention to this matter. I hate to sound paranoid but Islam represents a genuine threat to gays peoples very lives.

8. charlie says:

Wait, he actually said that gays are Nazis? No shit? Well, it figures he IS a typical ‘Merikkkan then. The goddamn Nazis sent gay people to the damn camps to be killed after being worked nearly to death. This fucking idiot is beyond stupid!
    Also, old Hitler was a xtian, he was a good catlick and pals with the poop. He DID send homosexuals, Roma, physically/mentally disabled people, and communists to the camps, NOT just some Jews. It is so damn disgusting to me that these “learned” asshats run around the globe spewing bullshit but do NOT have the first hint of a clue about REAL history.
    Gay people were KILLED by the Nazis, not Nazis themselves, though some high ranking Nazis may have had tendencies to “swing for the other team” or at least were bi-sexual, at least I remember reading something to that effect, but cannot verify if it is true. If true, please let me know, if false, also, please inform me as I do NOT want to spread untruths.

9. charlie says:

P.S. This proves the rulers of Uganda are total asshats, they allow this sort of creature to speak to their Parliament for FIVE hours? Holy crap! How could any remotely semi-sane human sit through that much bullshit? Uganda IS ruled by total asshat fools who define stupid.

Charlie: Homosexuality in Nazi Germany is a very controversial subject, as many right-wing Christians like to blame Nazism on both homosexuals and followers of the occult, amongst other things. It was certainly rife amongst the Brown Shirts (SA), which was one of the reasons for the Night of the Long Knives and the assassination of infamous homosexual Ernst Rohm.

Other points of view here:

Bugger – we can’t post more than one internet link now!

The following gives a flavour of the sort of thing that is being said in other circles – some of it factual and the rest pure speculation (if not downright lies!).

12. Barry Duke says:

Ah, the “infamous homosexual Ernst Rohm”.

For years I dined out on the story of the time I came into possession of a ceremonial Nazi dagger that was engraved with Rohm’s signature and the words “In heartfelt friendship”. At the time I was dealing antiques, but on principle never bought nor sold Nazi memorabilia. The dagger was found by a work colleague among her father’s possessions after he died, and she wanted me to find out whether it had any value.

I took it to a well-known and very reputable auction house in London, and was assured it was a fake. A few hours later I was phoned by a complete stranger, who said he learned that I had the thing in my possession, and would I accept £800.00 for it. I immediately smelled a rat. Only the auction house knew I possessed it, and I suspected that I had been lied to, and that the company was using a third party to try to con me.

This prompted me to to contact an independent dealer in war memorabilia who declared it genuine. I accepted double that price on behalf of my colleague, but now reckon I could have held out for a heck of a lot more.

Here’s its fascinating history.

Barry: Six to nine thousand dollars (today’s prices) according to this site, thoug I don’t see what it actually went for!

14. Barry Duke says:

Sheesh! I woz robbed!

I have access to an almost unlimited supply of genuine Picassos, if you’d be interested. All very reasonably priced.

16. charlie says:

@barriejohn, many thanks for the links.
    @Barry, very interesting story, yes, you got robbed.
    I do know that many homosexuals were sent to the camps by the Nazis, but did not have proof about high ranking Nazis being homosexuals. I figured some must have been. Throughout our human history, many minority groups tend to be the most vocal/violent in the suppression of the same group they are actually a part of. Notice how, for example, some Black police will treat a Black suspect much worse than a white cop would. I saw some evidence of this in the Marines. A Black officer would be harder on Black troops than he or she might have been on white troops for the same thing. I suppose it has much to do with making an impression on those who hold the highest position, as if to prove they are “with the program” or something like that.