JW elder jailed for sex crimes

JW elder jailed for sex crimes

JEHOVAH WITNESS Church elder Mark Sewell, 53, has been jailed for this week 14 years for using his position to prey on young women in his congregation in Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan, including his niece.

Merthyr Crown Court heard how he sexually abused two young girls and raped a women after overpowering her.

Sewell was found guilty of eight sex offences, including one of rape.

The jury had heard Sewell was a trusted and respected member of the Jehovah’s Witness Church, who used his role to “exploit and abuse” members of his 120-strong congregation.

He raped one woman, leaving her pregnant, but she later miscarried.

He also abused two young girls – one was just 12 when he kissed her and started giving her massages.

One victim told the court:

I just felt totally crushed. It was as if he had this power over everyone and no-one could see the real him except for me.

But a jury at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court found him guilty of a string of attacks between 1987 and 1995.

Sentencing him to 14 years, Judge Richard Twomlow, said:

Your victims felt inhibited about what they could say because of your position as an elder. You caused distress in the lives of your victims who had the feeling they were disbelieved. You have shown not a thread of remorse.

All Jehovah’s Witness congregation are registered charities and the Charity Commission is investigating the case.

One of Sewell’s victim, according to JW Survey, has bravely stepped forward and waived her anonymity by giving a series of media interviews.

Karen Morgan, the perpetrator’s niece, recounted how, tragically, her congregation did nothing, simply because Sewell refused to confess.

Those group of elders who sat me as a child in front of a guy who’d been abusing me for years, and expected me to talk about it in front of him, and hear him calling me a liar … I think that probably has had the most effect on the rest of my life, because what Mark did to me I’ve had to try to deal with, but I’ve also had to try and deal with how the whole thing was handled … and I want answers for that.

I blame them for what continued to happen to me because no-one dealt with it.

Hat tip: Angela K

17 responses to “JW elder jailed for sex crimes”

1. mikespeir says:

See? This is what happens when people depart from the True Faith(tm)!

😉

A satisfying result. Lots of opportunity for him to pray and read his bible in the slammer. The sex may be, for him, rather more passive and unsolicited then he is used to.

3. Paul Cook says:

I presume there no surprise to this:
    “His victims were banned from “gossiping” about the attacks by other church elders.”
    “Sewell was cleared of the complaints by a Jehovah’s Witness judicial committee after the women reported his behaviour to the church.”

All religions have been doing this for thousands of years, it is protecting ones own and a cover up to protect the church.
    I wonder if they got their lead from the pope and the Rcc?

I feel very sorry for the victims. I am not aware of any church or religion (in other cases) that has stood up for victims or to assist them, it is all about protecting their religious institutions or ground, but their ground is covered in vile, evil shit.

He looks as if he has been living high on the hog. Well padded, well dressed and with decent sun specs.

It’s not only religious institutions which protect themselves. The “losing” of the document naming VIP paedophiles at Westminster leaves a stench. And the attempt to find it seems unenthusiastic As in the Churches, those who are going through the motions of wanting children protected are often revealed as perpetrators.

If this was anything other than a religious sect it would be shut down for ever.

6. TrickyDicky says:

14 years!, now if he had only converted to Islam and had a wife that didn’t speak english.

Ever see those surveys about who is most trusted?? with atheists at the bottom??
    Well I fill them out with the religious at the bottom and leaders like priests at or below the very bottom. These people are not only delusional but are encouraged to justify themselves with invented BS and its OK with gawd.
    It is amazing how these people DON’T read their own holey books which state VERY clearly that men are flawed, and yet they trust them!!!! Being highly delusional is dangerous for everyone.

8. Ex Patriot says:

Glad to see he was sent up but 14 years is not enough. This is another case where they need to lose the jail key and never let him see daylight again. Religion of any name corrupts and fouls all it touches.

9. Norman Paterson says:

Let this be one in an apparently endless series of warnings not to set up any kind of atheist church.

10. Bubba T Flubba says:

Semi quoting the late great Hitch …’the disguise’ of the pious is being ripped to shreds. I have no idea why people continue to trust the officials of any religious order. Why? Why? Why? Are the congregants scared,stupefied, thick or what? Do they not recognise the greatest, most outrageous and most durable scam ever perpetrated? Do they not recognise a con artist when they see one?

11. barfly says:

As a former JW and knowing how they work I expect there will be others yet to come to light. They do have real power over the congregations.

12. charlie says:

Once again, organized religion destroys more lives and then runs like hell to “keep it under cover”. Good to see some small measure of justice at last, but I agree, 14 years is NOT long enough for what this creature did.
    @L. Long, I agree with you 100%. How atheists keep being listed as least trusted is beyond stupid. We don’t have an agenda to push onto others, unlike ALL religions that demand total obedience. People have been brainwashed by religion for far too long.

@Bubba T Flubba

Irreversibly brainwashed is, I think, the answer to your question. And terrified that if they say anything that contradicts their church and the people who run it they may well end up spending eternity burning in an imaginary pit of fire.

Meanwhile, the smug bastards in charge of the whole charade think they can get away with literally anything. They are. as you say, conmen. It is a disgrace and it cannot be allowed to go on.

OT again, but I see that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of Islamist militant group Isis, hasn’t been slow in showing just what he believes his religion is all about. According to the report below, he has called on fellow Muslims to ‘obey him’. That’s right, not follow him, fight for him, believe in him, or support him, but ‘obey him’.

Religiots are such a lovely bunch of people.

15. Peterat says:

“Religion Poisons Everything!” I should write a book…oh, never mind!

16. Peterat says:

I’d like to hear more from “barfly” about his experience in that sect.
    I know from personal experience – not being a member but personal nonetheless – just how cloistered, obstructive and evil they are.

17. Robster says:

Don’t the JW’s just love the number 14? Their nonsense doctrine states that 140 thousand of them will be saved or whatever carrot their dangling to their deluded minions, that’s a direct multiplication of the number 14, so it’s really a message from the old jehovah(?) that rape and sexual abuse is really OK (like the catholic god) and the ‘elder’ is in fact a good guy who lost his way. Or something.