Quote of the Day

Quote of the Day

I don’t know what your problem is with atheists, but it won’t be resolved with exorcisms. Any attempt to cast the devil out of atheists would be about as effective as my attempting to cast the Tooth Fairy out of you. We atheists can easily get rid of any evil spirits you dream up by simply not believing in them.

This message was addressed to Gordon Klingenschmitt, Republican nominee for Colorado House of Representatives District 15 by Herb Silverman, above, founder and President Emeritus of the Secular Coalition for America after Klingenschmitt suggested that atheists ought to be “exorcised” so that they won’t feel uncomfortable when entering a church.

Gordon Klingenschmitt

Gordon Klingenschmitt

Here’s the context: Back in 2012, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against a Wisconsin school district that had been holding its graduation ceremonies in a local church, declaring that doing so “conveys an impermissible message of endorsement”.

The school district appealed the decision to the Supreme Court which, last month, declined to hear the case.

Klingenschmitt weighed in on the Supreme Court’s refusal on his “Pray In Jesus Name” programme where he offered a novel solution: atheists who don’t want to attend their public school graduation in a church should just undergo an exorcism to rid them of the Devil so that they’ll be comfortable attending church and:

Feel free to enjoy the worship of Jesus Christ. If the atheist complainer is so uncomfortable when they walk into a church there’s something inside of them squirming and making them feel these feelings of hatred toward the cross of Jesus Christ. Don’t you think it’s something inside of the atheist complainer that’s wrong?

I have a solution. Let’s do an exorcism and cast the Devil out of them and then they’ll feel comfortable when they walk into church.

10 responses to “Quote of the Day”

‘Don’t you think it’s something inside of the atheist complainer that’s wrong?’

Yes. It’s called rational thinking. And the reason people like Klingenshitt claim rational thinking is ‘wrong’ is, of course, because it enables us to see them for the charlatans they truly are.

2. Norman Paterson says:

OT (and the reason is obvious):

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

freethinkered@aol.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain aol.com by mailin-03.mx.aol.com. [64.12.88.163].

The error that the other server returned was:
    550 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: aol.com

3. David Anderson says:

I have never felt uncomfortable in a church, cathedral, mosque or synagog and I have visited all of those for weddings, funerals and general interest in their history and architecture.

The reason the graduation ceremonias are not aceptable in a church dumbass Klingonshit is that it is against your fucking constitution.

4. remigius says:

Would Klingonshit be happy for graduation ceremonies to be held in a mosque?

No? Then he must be possessed by djinn. Stone him.

I have never felt uncomfortable in a church or cathedral. What makes me uncomfortable is what is said on the few occasions I have attended a marriage or funeral. The words are so blatantly nonsense that I look around to see if anyone is surprised. However, the culture is such that the calls to God as if he were there pass over the audience as they sit with bovine indifference.

A particularly weird occasion was a few years ago when, after the funeral, on a sunny day we strolled in the ancient country churchyard. I found myself in the company of a group (elderly voluble women and silent men) who discussed what the dead man was thinking as he viewed the funeral. They attributed all kinds of opinions to him.

As his ashes had just been entombed, assuming they were his in the jar and not random ashes handed over, this would have been quite a trick with ears, eyes etc all gone. No, I didn’t raise the issue, I’m afraid.

6. charlie says:

@Agent Cormac, I agree 100% with your view. Rational thinking/critical thinking is a deadly sin to this sort of clown. They know that critical/rational thought will kill off all religion and that is why they fear it.
    As for myself, I also have never been uncomfortable as a non-believer in any religion when I have attended a funeral or wedding in any religious building. The very thought of holding a non religious school graduation in the building of ANY religion IS sick however and should never even be considered.

7. Rob Andrews says:

My problem with the Abrahamic faiths, is the way they have persecuted gay people. And in many cases still do.

But of course it’s in keeping with old testament teaching. They’ll always have to believe what Leviticus says reguarding homosexuality.

8. John C says:

Whenever i have entered a church, as nessesitated by social niceties ocasionaly, usualy weddings or funerals,rather than spontaneously combusting, convulsing or my head spinning, i usualy take in the grandeur of the architecture , ponder the wasted effort for a minute and wonder what more profitable (nay, productive, churches have been profitable to some for a long while) enterprise could of been undertaken with all the resources such designer tat consumes in its production.Maybe its my inner demons speaking rationaly to me?

9. Laura Roberts says:

I love going into Gothic cathedrals, especially if an organist is practicing. I think they would be perfect to repurpose as libraries. Someday I plan to take some work with me — research work that requires quiet. They were designed for contemplation, so why not contemplate scientific mysteries?

I don’t like going into modern churches. Usually the architecture is cookie-cutter sterile. If they have art, usually it’s awful. I attended a service at an LDS stake one time and it was terribly sad: they actually go to lengths to eliminate anything remotely aesthetic. The result is whitewashed, bland, lifeless.

What makes me uncomfortable about going to church services is witnessing adult human beings behaving like naive little children. I’m embarrassed for them. It’s the same feeling I would get if someone told me they were going to be rich because they answered an e-mail from a Nigerian prince.

10. Robster says:

I used to often feel uncomfortable in church, those rock hard pewy seat things, the dry boring fillet de jesus with the jesus blood chaser and the torrent of irrational nonsense coming from the bloke in the silly hat beside the picnic tablet up the front of the show. Used enjoy the singalong moments and leaving at the end. Don’t think demons had anything to do with it really.