‘Nurse, bring me my astrology chart!’

‘Nurse, bring me my astrology chart!’

Tory MP David Tredinnick, a member of the Parliamentary Health & Science and Technology Committees, advocates ‘alternative medicine’ and astrology for NHS patients.

The MP, according to this report, said:

There is no logic in attacking something that has a proven track record.

In an interview with the BBC, the dipstick, who represents the good folk of Bosworth, said herbal remedies and healing were now becoming accepted in parts of the NHS, and he now wanted to promote astrology, which he claimed was not just about predicting the future, but gaining an understanding of personal problems.

On Tuesday, Mr Tredinnick told his fellow MPs in the House of Commons:

I am absolutely convinced that those who look at the map of the sky for the day that they were born and receive some professional guidance will find out a lot about themselves and it will make their lives easier.

Tredinnick said he had studied astrology in connection with healthcare for two decades, including Iahiri, the Indian astrological system used by to aid the nation’s government.

He continued that complementary and alternative medicines can

Reduce pressures on the health service, increase patient satisfaction, and make everyone in this country happier.

Both the Health Committee and the Science and Technology Committee have reported that by using complementary medicine and by listening to the witnesses we can reduce that demand.

The MP for Bosworth is not the only UK politician to believe in the power of astrology. Lord Patten, Britain’s last governor of Hong Kong and now the Pope’s media guru, hired an official astrologer, someone Tredinnick said he too had consulted.

His comments to the House of Commons came after he appeared at Glastonbury Festival in June, where he spoke on astrology alongside Daily Mail astrologer Jonathan Cainer.

He told MPs he believed he had been asked to speak because he has been regarded as having a “radical agenda” in promoting complementary medicine over the past 20 years.

MPs laughed when he spoke of the ridicule and “relentless attacks” he had faced, including a spoof Twitter account set up called “Inside the head of David Tredinnick.

Referring to a health food chain, the MP revealed:

The right honourable Member for Southampton, Itchen (Mr Denham) once called me the honorable Member for Holland and Barrett.

Speaking to the broadcaster, he stopped short of suggesting astrology should be offered on the NHS, but said:

I think it’s something that people should be aware of as an option they have if they are confused about themselves.

He described how he had compiled astrological charts for his fellow MPs that “had certainly made their lives easier.” He declined to give their names, however.

Hat tip: Denis Watkins & BarrieJohn

20 responses to “‘Nurse, bring me my astrology chart!’”

1. Ivan says:

This is both funny and disturbing at the same time.

2. K9P says:

Fuckwit…….this is what is wrong with the world….too many gullible shallow intellectually lazy halfwit fools in positions of responsibility. I have come to the conclusion that rational hardworking constructive people are too busy developing technologies, designing equipment, constructing buildings that benefit everyone whilst those without the skills, drive, vision and energy to make real contributions to humanity fanny about with celebrity politics and religiosity in order to get themselves noticed. Well I say one should not qualify for public office until ones credentials confirm expertise and a track record of constructive serious endeavour. Get the shallow stupefied untalented parasitic dullards out of the way and let’s have government by those who really have the skills and drive to get the right things done in the right way.

3. Matt Westwood says:

The problem with democracy is that the skills and personal qualities one needs to get oneself elected are not the same skills and personal qualities one needs to do a good job once one has become so elected.

The phrase I like best because it is beyond ridicule and reaches far into the area of farce is, “Tory MP David Tredinnick, a member of the Parliamentary Health & Science and Technology Committees,”

Only a moment’s thought gives cause for the deepest concern. This man, with his weird off the wall beliefs which he holds as certainties, is influencing government policies on health, science and technology. How long will he be allowed to continue on these committees? Indeed, can he continue as an MP? What is being allowed here is impossible in a modern state. Correction: should be impossible. And yet it is happening.

Lord (so may Lords and Baronesses etc) Patten, devout RC and Pope admirer, was at the top of the BBC when a temperate, detailed and persuasive case was made by the NSS for a secular slot on the dire Thought for the Day. The submission was dismissed arbitrarily. No discussion. Just, in effect, someone decided “Get lost, you are not acceptable.” And yet Patten with his official astrologer and this weird MP are given the run of parliament.

The sheer bloody minded, arrogant unfairness is stunning as is the indifference to rational approaches to the problems that the government should be handling.

5. Barry Duke says:

Broga, as I posted this piece I was wondering whether there was a resident alchemist on these committees. If not, why?

6. RussellW says:

A disturbingly large percentage of the voters of Bosworth probably agrees with Tredinnick,I wonder if he’s also a climate change ‘sceptic’.

He probably also advocates divination by bones in Parliament. I can just see him scattering bones out of a bag across the dispatch table between the government and opposition, and then declaring less money needs to be spent on the NHS. Then there’s reading tea-leaves? Perhaps, in the Parliament canteen, they will start reading the entrails of freshly butchered goats? But why stop at goats? Human sacrifice was once used to ‘spread happiness’ – maybe he can persuade fellow MPs to start lifting up still-beating human hearts to the sunrise over the Thames?

Clearly this guy really believes superstition has its place in the government of the country. Interestingly though – if this bum-noodle is a christian, how does he accommodate astrology into his beliefs?….Unless – god forbid! – he’s a PAGAN in disguise!!!

I was born on the cusp between Leo and Virgo – this isn’t a good place to be. Pray for me!

9. Barry Duke says:

Dunno if he’s a Christian, but he’s crazy enough to been one. From Wiki:

Tredinnick’s appointment to the Health committee in June 2010 was criticised in two science reports in The Guardian newspaper. Martin Robbins said his appointment was “an extremely disturbing development” even though “Tredinnick is a figure unlikely to be taken seriously by policymakers”whilst Nature’s Adam Rutherford described Tredinnick as “misinformed about a great many things” and said that “giving [him] influence on medical policy…is a bad move.”The Telegraph’ writer Ian Douglas also described it as “a problem.”

His appointment to the Science and technology committee also drew criticism. Andy McSmith in The Independent, cited Tredinnick’s view that homeopathy could cure HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, urinary infections, diarrhoea, skin eruptions, diabetes, epilepsy, eye infections, intestinal parasites, cancer, and gangrene amongst other conditions, and quoted Imran Khan, head of the Campaign for Science and Engineering, as saying that “someone with such incredibly odd views is not helpful.” Tom Whipple in The Times said his appointment caused despair, whilst Elizabeth Gibney in Times Higher Education quoted the Skeptical Voter website as saying that Tredinnick is “perhaps the worst example of scientific illiteracy in government.”

These people are mental. I’ve had friends who had “readings” and gushed that “no one could have possibly known all that about me”. I was putting my views to one of its proponents in their lttle shop of horrors one day, and as quick as a flash came the reply: “But you’re Taurus, so you’re bound to be a sceptic”. See? You just can’t win!

Don’t ask me because i don’t know “why”. I just know the connection is there somehow, since I see it everyday. Also there are other things we know exist but we can’t explain, like the pyramids. And it took me like 6 months to understand my own birth chart with just the original planets, so like, you just have to study astrology if you want to understand how it works and why there are people who insist its real.

11. Jobrag says:

I think that Patten probably hired an astrologer because the Chinese community would expect the Governor of Hong Kong to have one.

12. Adam Tjaavk says:

Astrology?! – isn’t the RC supposed to be agin it?

_____

13. Newspaniard says:

If the Prime Minister appointed him to these posts because of his undoubted talents, maybe we have a “Rasputin” type running No. 10, which explains a lot.

14. Dave Godfrey says:

“He continued that complementary and alternative medicines can
    Reduce pressures on the health services…”

That’s right. Dead people do not put pressure on the health services.

15. Ivan says:

This raving clown was on BBC 5Live Breakfast this morning. It was a spectacular performance:

Starts at 2h40m.

16. Matt Westwood says:

“Protect us from knowledge that we cannot bear.”

The above is a sentence I have just heard on the radio. I had Radio 3 on in an attempt to put myself to sleep for a little nap, and there was a church service going on. The music was nice enough, but the prayer which followed it was blethering in its incoherence.

@Matt Westwood. “Protect us from knowledge that we cannot bear.” That is the mantra of the religious. All together now: eyes closed, fingers in ears and shout la, la, la until the nasty facts go away.

18. monkeygirl says:

I started reading this in the guardian but had to stop when I realised that this pillock is actually on the Health science & technology committee, at that point I despaired. Can we send him to help out with Ebola using a poultice of goosefat and one of those bird-masks that the plague doctors used to wear in the 1600’s?

19. Peterat says:

His belief in the fortune-telling power of astology would certainly shorten the election cycle in his riding, wouldn’t they?
    “I checked my chart, the stars say I’m going to win, no need to bother about voting, stay home,cheers.”