Cleric in Egypt OKs ‘pure’ voyeurism

Cleric in Egypt OKs ‘pure’ voyeurism

Provided their motives are honourable, peeping toms may spy on women in showers said Osama al-Qusi, an ultra-orthodox Egyptian preacher.

His fatwa, according to the Guardian, prompted outrage from other Islamic scholars.

The cleric declared in an online video translated by the al-Arabiya news network:

If you were really honest and wanted to marry that woman, and you were able to hide and watch her in secret, and see the things that she wouldn’t usually let you see before marrying her, then it is acceptable as long as your intentions are pure.

Osama a Qusi

Osama al Qusi

Qusi’s words sparked heavy criticism from those who said he was using religion to win attention.

Egypt’s Minister for Religious Affairs, Mohamed Mokhtar, condemned the cleric “and his ilk”, saying:

Where is the glory and masculinity in watching a woman shower? Would you allow this to happen to your daughter?

Mokhtar stressed that fatwas, or Islamic edicts, should only be issued by qualified clerics, and denounced Qusi’s claims as anathema to Islam.

The minister also confirmed plans to launch a grassroots campaign against both atheists and Islamic extremists. He has already banned tens of thousands of unlicensed preachers, accused of extremist teachings, from working in Egyptian mosques.

In recent years, oddball clerics in Egypt have regularly been ridiculed for hardline statements. One called for the destruction of Pharaonic icons, while another said Muslims should not drive Christian priests to church.

Hat tip: Trevor Blake

16 responses to “Cleric in Egypt OKs ‘pure’ voyeurism”

1. barfly says:

So Fatwas should only be issued by qualified clerics. Another way of saying that is stupid statements should only be spoken by qualified idiots. That sounds like a line from the goon show witch makes more sense than the awfull shite that comes from theses plonkers. Ying tong yiddle I po

2. Trevor Blake says:

It’s a nice racket. In Islam there is no living central authority as there is to some forms of Buddhism or Christianity. But we must also ignore information that doesn’t come from a central living authority in Islam. Unless the information is good, in which case we should take it no matter who says it. Heads they win, tails we loose.

3. Matt Westwood says:

“Would you allow this to happen to your daughter?”

This sort of language makes me feel uncomfortable. It perpetuates the attitude that one’s womenfolk (especially one’s daughters) are your property to be guarded like your cattle, or your car, or your DVD collection.

How about objecting to this sort of behaviour because it is (to use an American term I hate, but I can’t think of a better one) creepy?

‘The minister also confirmed plans to launch a grassroots campaign against both atheists and Islamic extremists.’

‘Atheists and islamic extremists’ – Now that is worrying – especially for any Egyptian with more than two brain cells who just might be on the cusp of thinking ‘atheist’ thoughts. The only way this ‘minister’ can link atheists and islamic extremists in the same breath, is if he hasn’t the faintest fucking idea of what atheism really is. I don’t think of myself as having the label ‘atheist’ pinned to my forehead – I just don’t/can’t believe in fairy stories. But in this minister’s eyes he sees me on a par with suicide bombers. Thank fuck I don’t live in Egypt!

5. Robster says:

A “grassroots” campaign against atheists and extremists, so it won’t be a very deep or strong campaign then?

6. Paul Cook says:

This is hardly surprising as I recall a BBC report, that Egypt has one of the highest incidences of sexual harassment and incidents in the world. The number of sexual harassment incidents is truly staggering, almost every woman, no matter how young or old, has suffered some form of sexual abuse.
    many of the people, like this moron, will be doing this and more each and every day.

@ I forgot – there’s no grass in Egypt…or?
    @ Paul Cook – you’re absolutely right. I listened to a reporter asking a very poor Egyptian family why – when the time comes – they will insist that their daughter is circumcised. Apart from all the ‘cultural’ and ‘it’s our tradition’ and ‘purity for allah’ garbage, the wife suddenly burst out with what I felt may have been the real reason – ‘It stops the girls from being too full of lust!’
    And we all know what Egyptian men would do to girls too full of lust – much better to have them sexually mutilated for life than take any risks!

Paul Cook:

“If you are here and you see a girl dressed in an indecent way, what are you going to do? You can’t help it.”

So said one of a group of young Egyptian men, hanging around close to the square, when we asked about the increase in sexual assaults against women there.

“We are depressed, we can’t find jobs and money, what do you expect?” says another of the youths, who was unsurprisingly reluctant to give his name.

If religion is a monstrous carbuncle on the face of society, then Islam is the poisonous pus emanating from it.

This too:

The young men we spoke to admitted they went to the square to look at women, and though they did not admit to being involved in serious assaults, their manner suggested they saw no problem in harassing women.

They even found the issue of rape something of a joke.

“If women don’t want it, they shouldn’t wear tight clothes and they shouldn’t come here,” one laughed.

10. Richard Greenyer says:

The problem here is in first assumption. If he assumes that his religion is true, then given that the Koran and Hadith are so vast, and Arabic so ambiguous as a language, anyone can issue a fatwa on anything.
    A laughable religion, like all the rest. He equates critical thinking and reason in the form of atheism, with blind faith and ignorance on a grand scale, in the form of islamic extremism.idiots.

11. Newspaniard says:

All that money spent on a beautiful shower cubicle and yet only one, cheap and nasty, shower head. I bet she’s also wearing bed socks.

12. Philip Smeeton says:

T o a Muslim women are only objects or property, little more than cattle. To be used and then diposed of, or beaten into submission..

13. Paul Cook says:

Barriejohn

thanks.

yes this BBC report may have been the one, and shows just what they are.

I recall when I was unemployed I didn’t for one minute think I will go to Trafalgar Square and grope some women as their tight clothes will mean they are ‘asking for it’.
    Their religion & their culture – and this means the same thing as religion is culture is it not? – is entirely to blame for this low level moronic behaviour.

Paul Cook: Thank goodness they’re not atheists. Atheists have no morals at all!

15. Matt Westwood says:

@Paul Cook: My knowledge and understanding of the history of American culture suggests that, even as recently as the 1960’s, it was a common practice for guys to hang around on street corners and grope the girls who walked past.

I admit that I am basing this on my viewing of the movie “The Wanderers”:
    I remember at the time that I could not believe how crass this behaviour was. Maybe it’s because in Britain we were taught (subconsciously, maybe) that groping women was not acceptable.

16. Matt Westwood says:

… sorry, in the above:

“it was a common practice for guys in New York to hang around on street corners and grope the girls who walked past.”