Gay teen rejected by parents hits jackpot

Gay teen rejected by parents hits jackpot

Daniel Pierce’s family tried to ‘pray away his gay’. When that failed, they disowned him. Pierce then received over $90,000 (£54,000) in donations within just three days.

Pierce, according to this report, surreptitiously filmed the moment his father, grandparents, step-mother and his father’s sister accused him of “making a choice” and choosing his sexuality.

He said his family staged what he described as a “pray the gay away” intervention after he first revealed his sexuality to his stepmother last October.

In the five minute clip, the 19-year-old from Georgia can be heard explaining he has not chosen his sexuality, to which a woman responds:

No, you can deny it all you want to but I believe in the word of God, and God creates nobody that way. It’s a path that you have chosen to choose. Since you have chosen that path, we will not support you any longer. You will need to move out and find wherever you can to live, because I will not let people believe that I condone what you do.

When he asks his stepmother if he can stay in the house and live in the basement he is told firmly he cannot. A woman can then be heard screaming at him:

You’re full of shit. You told me on the phone that you made that choice. You know you wasn’t born that way.

Shortly after this, his family appear to confront Mr Pierce and a man can be heard shouting “You’re a damn queer” as the altercation continues.

Pierce posted the shocking video on YouTube, which amassed over three million hits since he published it on August 27, and his partner opened a gofundme page asking for donations to cover his basic living costs.

He told WXIA-TV he has had no contact with his family since the incident.

The video was not posted for people to attack them. I wouldn’t want it to happen to me. I wouldn’t want it to happen to them. They are still my family and they are in my heart but what happened in that video is very hurtful.

Pierce told the network some of the proceeds will be donated to LGBT support groups, including Lost and Found Youth.

What I hope people take away from watching that is it still happens. A lot of people don’t realize that it happens. They see all the positive videos and the negative videos never gets seen so if one family maybe watches it and maybe changes their mind in how they are going to handle it about their son or daughter coming out, one family and I will be happy.

His family have yet to comment on the video.

13 responses to “Gay teen rejected by parents hits jackpot”

1. Daz says:

His family have yet to comment on the video.

I can’t find a direct reference, but apparently they’ve asked/demanded (accounts differ) that he take the video down. I assume the fact that it’s still up constitutes a big fat “no.”

2. Daz says:

Umm. I gather blockquotes no longer work then?

Tough to have parents like that. Great that he knows he is not alone and has lots of supporters.

4. mattincinci says:

he won the lottery!

5. Matt Westwood says:

He’s 19, and he’s getting to move out from his parents’ home. Where’s the problem?

At a similar age I informed my parents that I was in a bed-sharing relationship with a *woman* and I got kicked out of the family home and told I’d never be welcome there again. Yippee, was my reaction, never have to see the stupid old bat and the vicious old fascist again.

Mind, 6 months later they rang up to ask why I hadn’t been in contact …

Oh, and they did mellow, eventually; some 20 years later they were treating both me and my life partner cordially. Which is good.

6. Matt Westwood says:

… and just think! He’ll be able to choose his own clothes! (Or at least, choose who the person is who *does* choose his wardrobe.) No more will he have to wear that godawful sweater with its telly-gone-wrong design, or wear a young-Conservative hairstyle, and he’ll even be able to pick a more flattering pair of spectacles.

7. jay says:

Even if it WERE a choice, so what? It’s still his right as a person. It’s a mistake to tie this to whether or not it’s a ‘choice’. Other people may make other choices in their sexuality: BDSM, polyamory etc. Most likely those are personal choices, and people have the same right to pursue them.

Just as he could choose to be an atheist, or a baptist.

The article is so clear! Can’t you just feel all that xtian love!!!

Hey Xtian!! How many times did jesus say phuck da gaz!!!

The viciousness of such attacks is very ‘telling’ – it’s almost as if his parents are trying to defend something in themselves? – that their son is symbolic of something they have struggled with, denied and exorcised from their lives? Just a thought.
    But to still have to experience the trauma and wade through other people’s prejudices like this – just to say ‘I am a human being and I have a right to any sexuality I want without censure from you fuckwits!’ – is pityful. Go on him for so publically exposed the narrow mindedness of his parents – he’s better off without them.

10. Mike says:

I always find a reminder about who will be choosing the old age home, causes them to back down a bit.

11. Michael Glass says:

It is possible to help support this young man through crowd funding. The link to Gofundme is http://www.gofundme.com/dnoqgg

12. Robster says:

I recon it boils down to the parents being really fragile in their faith. Deep down they know it’s silly childish nonsense, but after a life pretending that snakes do talk, that Baby jesus did feed lots of people with a can of sardines and a bread roll they aren’t at all confident in their faith, so junior coming out as a non conformist is a worry as it questions the belief system they’ve chosen and shows it for what it is.

13. A Confused Atheist says:

This just shows that one does not need an ancient book of outdated text to be kind to another person. I really do love this world, minus the bad points.