Kirill: ‘Feminism could destroy Russia’

Kirill: ‘Feminism could destroy Russia’

Feminism stops Russian women focusing on their role as mothers, warned Patriarch Kirill, head of the Russian Orthodox Church, who has just acquired his very own jet fighter plane.

Kirill, according to this report, earlier this year described feminism as “very dangerous”:

I consider this phenomenon called feminism very dangerous, because feminist organisations proclaim the pseudo-freedom of women, which, in the first place, must appear outside of marriage and outside of the family.

Man has his gaze turned outward – he must work, make money – and woman must be focused inwards, where her children are, where her home is. If this incredibly important function of women is destroyed then everything will be destroyed – the family and, if you wish, the motherland.

A vocal supporter and close ally of Vladimir Putin, Patriarch Kirill has helped spearhead Russia’s turn toward conservative values. He supported the case against Pussy Riot, the anti-Kremlin feminist punk band that was put on trial after performing a song criticising Putin and the church’s explicit support of him, inside a Moscow cathedral.

During their trial, prosecutors argued, successfully, that feminism when proclaimed inside a church “was heretical”.

Speaking to a meeting of the Union of Orthodox Ukrainian Women in Moscow, Kirill slammed feminism for leading women to look beyond the traditional family for fulfilment. According to Kirill, woman are first and foremost:

The guardians of the family fire, the centre of family life.

He accused feminism of being opposed to “family values”.

He said he was not opposed to women pursuing careers in politics or business or other professions “that today are mainly done by men”, but said they should get their priorities straight.

He also said that it was “no accident” that most feminist leaders were unmarried.

I noticed this when I worked in Geneva, at the World Council of Churches, when the feminist theme was just starting to develop.

Sexism runs rampant in Russia and women’s rights appear nowhere on the political agenda. Putin has made boosting Russia’s low birth rate a key platform of his administration, often cheering women’s role as mothers.

A few months later Kirill acquired his a single-seater fighter jet SU-35 when he was handing out tacky religious icons to workers at a civilian and military aircraft plant.

Hat tip: Ivan Bailey (fighter jet report).

18 responses to “Kirill: ‘Feminism could destroy Russia’”

1. Norman Paterson says:

Well, I have to agree, which is why I think women’s lib is so important.

(I expect this item to be sidetracked into discussing “feminism,” which is why I said “women’s lib.” But either will do when it comes to fighting these repressive religious regimes.)

2. Matt Westwood says:

I tried to think of a coherent, logical and well-composed refutation of Kirill’s thesis, but in the end the best I could do was: “Oh fuck off, you prick.”

I hope he prangs his plane. Into a cathedral, preferably.

3. Barry Duke says:

Matt, I think the word “tart” is preferable to “prick”, given Kirill’s choice of bling.

I feel certain that these ideas have been put forward before, but cannot for the life of me think where…

ANy dogma whose basic bigotry is hating women, will be doomed to fail if feminism is allowed. Please hurry!!!!

The church ALWAYS guards jealously the rights and welfare of women and children:

Why is it that old men with two feet and their fucking head in the grave always, always hold back the progress of humanity? Any form of equality, any form of emancipation is seen as ‘dangerous’? Why does this blockhead do it? Because it’s fear of losing his power, fear of losing his bling, fear of losing his right to have his prick played with whenever he dictates. I wonder if he also believes that women/wives should be at the sexual beck and call of men/husbands? Is this the real reason such patriarchal cum-suckers like Kirill throw such glitzy tantrums? – to wave their penises high over the heads of those they’ve subjugated? What a pathetic show of power?

8. Newspaniard says:

In the west, feminists have become a waste of space where it comes to the repression of women, I’m thinking particularly muslim women wearing bin bags. So maybe Patriarch Kirill is mostly right. (Explosives from the left to follow).

@Newspaniard: I have to agree with you. Can you imagine what would have happened in the bra-burning age of Germain Greer, if a woman wearing a full length burka had appeared and said that only she – and those like her – were truly ‘liberated’ women?

10. Jobrag says:

The sad thing being that the most devout followers of The Orthodox and Catholic Churches are women.

I wonder if he also believes that women/wives should be at the sexual beck and call of men/husbands? (1859)

I bet he does! I was trying to find their views on marital rape when I chanced upon this:

“If a woman wears a miniskirt, it can be provocative,” (Archpriest) Chaplin said at a recent round table, Interfax reported.

“If she is drunk at the same time, it’s especially provocative. And if that encourages people to try to make contact, she can’t be surprised if that contact ends up with rape.”

“Cheeky appearance and behaviour is a straight road to disaster,” he warned. “It leads to empty love, short-term marriage and divorce. To children in broken homes. To loneliness and insanity.”

Both feet and head firmly planted in the Stone Age, I’m afraid.

12. Ex Patriot says:

People wonder why I have no respect for religion and those that try to force on everyone. This post is just another answer to the same question.

Coincidentally, the NFL has had yet another player arrested over domestic violence allegations. If you follow up the cases you will find that they are mostly “devout Christians” (Jonathan Dwyer attended Shiloh Hills Christian School) who attribute all their success to “Gaahd”.

14. Brian Jordan says:

“A vocal supporter and close ally of Vladimir Putin, ”
    Churchman and KGB man: not the holiest of alliances, one would have thought. But very convenient for mutual back-scratching.

@barriejohn: devout Christians and narrow minded, self absorbed millionaires. I heard an interview on the World Service where it was explained that these players have spent there lives absorbed in a violent sport and they carry the violence into their homes.

Odd that the much vaunted Christianity does nothing to ameliorate their cruelty. One of them is in trouble for repeatedly hitting his young child with a switch. Imagine the cruelty and cowardice. A powerful brute flogs his own young child. But then child beating has been encouraged in Christian books. A recent one selling well. Religion poisons everything.

Glad to hear that the Archbishop of Canterbury doubts the existence of God. He sounds like a likely recruit to the NSS.

16. Daz says:

Alas, or thank Bog, whichever way you want to look at it, the fighter-jet turns out to have been a model presented by the factory workers. [Link]

(I’m thinking of sending Justin Welby an Airfix Spitfire, just so the poor chap doesn’t feel left out.)

Daz: I saw a model Avro Vulcan (die-cast) advertized in the paper this morning – £179.99. I very nearly choked on my coffee. I think you can buy a decommissioned one for that much!

Remember this?