Spotlight falls on creepy Ohio preacher

Spotlight falls on creepy Ohio preacher

Prompted by allegations of weird goings-on at Ernest Angley’s Grace Cathedral in Cuyahoga Falls, The Akron Beacon Journal ran a five-part investigation into the 93-year-old’s operation. It makes for hair-raising reading.

The reports are the result of a two-month investigation by Beacon Journal reporter Bob Dyer. The paper says that former members of the congregation began to contact Dyer during the summer about concerns they had regarding Angley, an “internationally known television evangelist”, and the ministry he’s headed since 1957.

Dyer talked to 21 former members – often numerous times – in reporting this story. In addition, Dyer had an exclusive, 90-minute interview with Angley, along with Associate Pastor Chris Machamer and usher Mike Kish, to report their side of the story.

Depending whom you ask, one of two things is happening at the church:

• The devil himself has infiltrated it and Angley, who is a prophet of God, has been working tirelessly to fight him off.

• Angley’s church is a dangerous cult where pregnant women are encouraged to have abortions, childless men are encouraged to have vasectomies and Angley – who preaches vehemently against the “sin” of homosexuality – is himself a gay man who personally examines the genitals of the male parishioners before and after their surgeries. They also say he turns a blind eye to sexual abuse by other members of his church.

Former members of Angley’s congregation say people who leave the church are not only shunned, but also often criticised by name during services.

Perhaps no one has been subjected to more venom than former Associate Pastor Brock Miller, who stepped down on July 4.

Miller told friends and family that he left because he had been “violated” by Angley for seven years and could no longer take it.

Angley “had him undress and touched him all over,” said a family member who did not want to be identified because many members of the large family are still devout followers.

I don’t believe he touched him on his part, but it doesn’t matter. That doesn’t belong in the church. It doesn’t belong anywhere, but it [certainly] doesn’t belong in the church.

According to this report, some male ex-churchgoers say they weren’t surprised by Miller’s allegations, because Angley took an inordinate amount of interest in their genitalia too.

It is alleged that Angley routinely brought men into his office to examine them before and after vasectomies. He apparently insists  that all male of his congregation have to have the snip.

Angley also reportedly took an interest in his male parishioners’ danglies during pastoral counseling.

ernest-montgomery

Kenny Montgomery, 43, above, who owns a mobile dog-grooming business in Akron, said a counseling session with Angley took a shocking turn when he went to see the minister for his marital problems, including a lack of sex with his wife:

I [talked] to Ernest about that, because you’re not allowed to see an outside counselor, because an outside counselor has a ‘Doctorate of Devils,’ as he calls it.

He asked me, ‘Do you do oral sex on her?’ And I said, ‘Yeah, but I don’t know what that has to do with it.’ And then he puts his hands over his mouth and starts stroking his chin and licking his lips. This is creepy.

And he goes, ‘So, are you large?’ And I go, ‘What do you mean?’ And he says, ‘Your penis — is it really large?’ And I got kind of pissed. I go, ‘You know, I never sat around and compared it with another man’s’.

He backed right off when I said that. He says, ‘Well, you just need to pray to God and seek God more and all this will be better’ – and pretty much shoved me out of his office’.

Angley in his hey-day

Angley in his hey-day

For his part, Angley told the paper that Miller was a drunken liar, and most of the ex-parishioners now accusing him were sinning prevaricators, too.

It’s all kinds of tales. But if I traced down every lie, I wouldn’t get nothing else done. Jesus didn’t, and I try to be just as much like him as I can.

In a sermon around the same time, trying to explain the allegations swirling around his ministry, Angley told worshippers:

They called Jesus a homosexual, did you know that?

20 responses to “Spotlight falls on creepy Ohio preacher”

That haircut. If god really existed – surely, surely he would intervene. It is a crime against everything that is good and sane.

2. Barry Duke says:

AC it’s a RUG! This creature has his own Boeing 747 and he can’t afford a half-way decent wig!?

He is 93 and neither a patch of bald or a grey hair. The hair looks like a mat dumped on his head. It is extraordinary the way anyone in some parts of the USA can do whatever they want as long as the are a preacher.

God can cure AIDS, but he can’t revive dead hair follicles. Can you believe that? Angley has sported dodgy hairpieces since he was a young man. Ever fancied trying one, Barry?

From his early childhood Ernest Angley knew there was something different about him. He was aware that his desires were not the same as those of other boys his age.

I am NOT making it up!

Guess what? His “ministry” is active in Africa. (You won’t want to watch much of the following.)

I’m not sure that he’s still alive. Could he have been embalmed and be worked like a robot?

I think he’s possibly the worst public speaker that I have ever heard. How can people be so gullible?

6. Barry Duke says:

BarrieJohn … ummm ….

He is a famous “healing evangelist.” He has pioneered new methods of healing which are pushing the boundaries of medicine. The examination of patents requires no stethoscope, no taking of blood pressure as these have been replaced by the healing evangelist examining, in detail and at length (one might say), the genitals of male patients. The rest of the body can be ignored.

In counselling of couples with marital problems detailed descriptions of cunnilingus are essential.

Sex and religion!

Nothing dodgy about that one, Barry! Is this, perchance, a friend of yours accosting Bob Hutton?

(I’m not sure what God has against “Pencil Kneck Weak Kneed Gutless Men”. Ideas anyone?)

9. Barry Duke says:

Nope, BarrieJohn, but thanks for giving me the best laugh of the day. I’m gonna salt that pic away for a rainy day.

10. Marky Mark says:

The real problem are the idiots who follow guys like this.

Did ya hear the catlick poop has accepted the “theory of evolution” ? coarse he had to put a religious twist to it…they make it up as they go along

Barry: Glad to be of service.

Broga: Regarding AIDS, Ebola, and “faith healers”, the following is from Uganda, and shows that some there, at least, have their heads screwed on the right way!

The only person I know who claimed he could cure AIDS was a Pastor Balabyekubo, of the Prayer Palace in Kibuye.

Scores of people answered his call and went to be cured; but the media started counting the number of coffins that would leave that church in a day, and he stopped accepting patients, claiming he was being witch-hunted by the press.

He himself died soon after.

12. Marky Mark says:

I couldn’t find the story about the jewish bus stone throwers so i”ll post this hypocritical story and link here.

13. Paul Cook says:

@Barriejohn

what a link to this chaps fantastic bio/cv/resume.

I liked this bit which proved god is not real.

“Remarkable miracles of healing followed him everywhere he went.”

If there were a god, as others mention, he wouldn’t need a plastic mat on his head, god would not let him go bald. He does look a bit like a badger in a curtain.

James Randi – Magicians, Psychics and Frauds. I’ve recorded the programme but haven’t watched it yet.

If you missed it on BBC4 last night you can watch again on the iplayer.

@Angela_K: I’ve also got it recorded. In the meantime enjoying barryjohn’s link to the impotence of the faith healers regarding Ebola etc. Homeopathy not succeeding either. I hope that UK enthusiast Charles Windsor has noted this. In the last photo I saw of him he had a shelf of medals on his uniform. Mummy is generous with them.

16. Brian Jordan says:

Meanwhile, back in the Outback, another religious old nutter is claiming to cure ebola, AIDs et al. by getting people to drink bleach. Perhaps he should get Angley to put some on his wig!

I believe James Randi has had something to say about Angley. Someone remarked here recently that Sally Morgan is a comedian but doesn’t know it, and, not wishing to split hairs, I said nothing. However, Janet Street-Porter had this to say about her recently in the Mail:

Sally Morgan tours the country making plenty of money at her live events, where she claims to invoke the spirits of dead people. But what if she claims to have spoken to someone you recently lost without consulting you first? Recently, she claimed to have spoken to someone called Kris, wearing Lycra and on a bicycle, connected to the name Nicola. This was in Woking, the home town of Kris Cook, who died of a cardiac arrest during a cycling challenge in August. His death was reported locally and nationally. Sally’s revelations are upsetting for his girlfriend Nicola.

Can you believe that? It’s pathetic. She didn’t even need an earpiece for that one! Street-Porter also alludes to the fact that Morgan has been forced to sack her husband and son-in-law after they were filmed making physical and homophobic attacks against protesters outside venues where she was appearing. (You can see all this on YouTube.)

Evidently, October was “Psychic Awareness Month”!

‘I am utterly ashamed and devastated at the behaviour of my husband John and son-in-law Daren, and neither of them will have anything to do with my work, my business, and right now I honestly have no idea what is going to happen to my marriage.’

Enigmatically, the statement concluded: ‘There will be many more important decisions being made over the course of this week.’

She couldn’t see that coming then?

19. Mephisto says:

I’d never trust a man with sausages for ears.