Atheists are ruining ‘Saving Christmas’

Atheists are ruining ‘Saving Christmas’

In a desperate bid to save Saving Christmas from being rated one of Rotten Tomato‘s worst films of the year – maybe even of the century – Kirk Cameron took to Facebook yesterday to urge his Christian fundie fans to vote this turkey up.

Trumpeting “help me storm the gates of Rotten Tomatoes!” the evangelical actor wrote:

All of you who love Saving Christmas – go rate it at Rotten Tomatoes right now and send the message to all the critics that WE decide what movies we want our families to see! If 2,000 of you (out of almost 2 million on this page) take a minute to rate Saving Christmas, it will give the film a huge boost and more will see it as a result!

A day later he wrote:

Keep storming! The gates of Rotten Tomatoes are falling! You are A M A Z I N G! You just drove the Rotten Tomato rating to an all-time, soaring high of 94%!

That didn’t last long. The Tomatometer immediately plunged to 9 percent, with an audience score of 49 percent. This is even worse than the 2011 straight-to-video atrocity, Christmas With a Capital C, which got a 60 percent audience score, but didn’t even register on the Tomatometer.

ccc

So who does Cameron blame? Why, the “haters and the atheists”, of course.

Now the haters and atheists are coming out of the woodwork, attempting to hammer your good work (they rallied to drop your rating super low).

They are attempting, once again, to ruin Saving Christmas for everyone. Look at their language, vulgarity, and spirit of hate. They can try to ruin a rating, but they can’t stop you from going with family and friends to see Saving Christmas this weekend! If people continue to turn out, the theaters will hold the movie longer. YOU have the power, just like with Rotten Tomatoes, to keep Saving Christmas in the theaters.

Your support sends a very loud message. Films like Soul Surfer, God’s Not Dead, Courageous and Saving Christmas are small lights in a dark world. Together, let’s light up movie theaters this weekend and remind everyone this Christmas of the true reason for the season. Together, they can’t stop us! Are you with me?

Saving Christmas is, in essence, a lame comedy, but the real laughs are provided by the critics. The fella who made me laugh loudest today was Alonso Duralde of the The Wrap:

The oft-repeated formula here is to take something that exists and is beloved, and then work backwards to find a way to make it Biblically-inspired. Had Saving Christmas run any longer, Cameron would no doubt have found a way to find the divinity in Frosty, Rudolph, the Grinch, peppermint bark, the Elf on the Shelf, frosted cranberry hand soap and Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo.

Duralde also points out:

It’s not a movie so much as it’s an extended Sunday school sermonette …

Cameron’s answers all come from the Bible, that same book that has previously been used to excuse slavery, racism, imperialism, the destruction of the environment, and the subjugation of gays and women.

For instance, there are trees in the Garden of Eden, and Jesus was crucified on planks of wood, so ta dah — Christmas trees! Christian is too busy being a whiner and a sad sack to mention Saturnalia or the solstice, and as Cameron reminds us, ‘The last time I checked, God created the winter solstice’.

19 responses to “Atheists are ruining ‘Saving Christmas’”

Just to turn that on its head I think Christians are trying to ruin Christmas for atheists. I love celebrating our pagan Christmas (and I don’t mind the name Christmas as I’m not prejudiced) but I dislike the theft of our pagan customs. And, of course, the BBC will broadcast floods of offensive mythology as it seizes a licence fee funded chance to pretend that most of its audience are religious.

Anyway, the holly with berries is thriving in my garden although the birds are helping themselves to the berries. I’ve got the Christmas Tree lined up. And I will keep clear of being preached at by the BBC.

Have we had the first lie about a crib being banned yet?

2. tonye says:

Cameron ‘took to Facebook yesterday to urge his Christian fundie fans to vote this turkey up.’

What, both of them?

3. Paul Cook says:

Is his selfless ‘self promotion’ of the film, and that he is in it, (got paid for it?), and might be on commission in any chance related?

All of the xmas stuff is make believe superstitious stuff whether xtian or pagan, and so I celebrate it with a make believe tree, make believe wreath, make believe garland. And burn real trees in the fireplace. And the one thing I don’t do is shop til I drop like the xtians do as they are the ones trying to ruin their holiday. They should not be doing ANY of the stuff us atheists or pagans are doing and should be hiding in their churches all day as that was how it was originally celebrated.

5. Laura Roberts says:

Broga: love it! Christians are indeed trying to ruin Christmas for the rest of us. But to draw inspiration from Clark Griswald, “We’re gonna press on, and we’re gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye.”

It is OK for the Christian loons to harangue other Christians to vote this ghastly film up but not OK for Atheists to vote as well – usual double standards from our religious foes again. The religious use the same method by contacting all their churchy mates to complain about something they find offensive, usually facts.

@Laura Roberts: I’m lucky. My children and grandchildren are coming and not a Christian amongst them. No Christmas stories either although it wouldn’t trouble me if they did want to have them read. Instead the grandchildren, too young to read, are already well into Greek legends for children so more of these on the way.

I remember a religious relative being horrified because I read “Peter Rabbit” to my children. She thought Mr McGregor putting Peter’s father in a pie would traumatise my kids. They have grown up more balanced and mature than myself. They escaped the trauma. I think we will take a chance with the grandchildren.

8. dennis says:

so much xtmas bashing, and its not even thanksgiving in merica . LOL
    have a wonderful time explaining the winter solstice FACTS this year

@dennis: We are getting our retaliation in first. As Christmas approaches in the UK the “Christian Whine” begins. This usually involves tales of Christians being persecuted. An annual treat is the Council or shop which has banned a display of the crib on the grounds that it will offend “minorities.” On investigation these complaints have no truth in them.

Another, and this was very big last Christmas, is that supermarkets don’t sell Christmas cards with Nativity or other religious themes. On enquiring the reason was found to be that these sell so poorly.

Christians are very unhappy about TV programmes despite a plethora of these. We also have dreary religious films regurgitated every year which are of interminable length. Christians seem to want TV turned over to them so that only religious programmes are shown.

I could go on but you get the idea. The “Christian Whine” should begin soon.

10. Stephen Turner says:

Kirk Cameron = K: I corker man.

11. Rob Andrews says:

Once again religion, loke politics has to use one of the five basic tools of communication to further its message. In fact most articles in the freethinker deal with one of these 5 things that religion does. They are: Propaganda; censorship; spying; secrecy; indoctrination;

Propaganda; In the case of the article above.
    Censorship: Such as forbidding parishioners to see certain movies or read books.
    Spying: getting the dirt on other churchs.
    Secrecy: In the case of the RC and child abuse.
    indoctrination: School that teach the young. The RC says ‘get the kid at 5 and you’ved got him for life’.

Since they can’t stand up to open debate or education. the good tools of communication.

12. Cali Ron says:

In the states it’s “their taking christ out of christmas”. Like this over glamorized supposed son of god belongs in the original celebration, winter solstice, anyway. Every where you go there will be religious symbols, religious songs playing, religious specials on TV and then some more religious bull shit, but Fox news will find some supposed town in the state of religiously confused where they have “banned” a nativity scene. Like clockwork, the stories will start after Thanksgiving, the attacks on christmas. I’m getting nauseous just thinking about it. By the time xmas gets here I’ll need a holiday to get over the holiday!

13. Robster says:

Here in sunny Australia at xmas, that Baby jesus has been long forgotten and replaced with that hairy fellow in the red suit, big xmas retail sales and time off work. Having wee plastic jesus’ all over the place went out with the sixties, the rest of his PVC family have been packed away too and replaced with the joy of family, food and fun. I’m sure there would be a core of firm believers that may attend a churchy building for some hymns and the taste of the dead deity they love but most now know to stay away, especially when children are involved as it’s just too risky with priests and children in the same building,most celebrate the warmth of summer with friends and family. No need for any church nonsense.

14. Cali Ron says:

Sounds very refreshing. A break from the constant religious onslaught-MERRY FUCKING XMAS!

15. barfly says:

I hate the run up to Christmas as I work in a supermarket it starts in September by November the the Christmas songs have started on the tanoy if i hear frosty the snowman to often I am liable to run amok with a sharp knife among the happy smiling shoppers. as I live on my own I am working boxing day and new years day so the holiday will mostly pass me by allthough I will spend a week with my daughter at the beginning ofddecember.

16. Paul Cook says:

@Barfly

I couldn’t agree more. I feel for you.
    Even in Istanbul Starbucks has had crimbo music for several weeks.
    I’ve stopped going. For tax reasons and my mental health.

17. Ex Patriot says:

I just tell my friends to enjoy the soltice and have a prosperous New Year. No christmas religous nonsense.

18. andym says:

@ Broga. I came to the same conclusion-that Christians have hijacked the winter solstice. It is perfectly understandable that our ancestors would want to celebrate the lengthening of daylight hours and have a bit of a binge from their stocks, before facing up to another few months of hardship. Additionally, the celebration is of something tangible and verifiable.

19. Vanity Unfair says:

“Thank you for all your help and support in putting the joy of Christ back in Christmas!”
    Fair enough: now will you help me put the joy of Eostre back in Easter?