Dishonesty of ‘ex-gay’ group exposed

Dishonesty of ‘ex-gay’ group exposed

Despite the collapse of in recent years several high profile Christian groups that advocate gay ‘cures’, there are still cranks out there peddling the ‘ex-gay’ myth.

One is Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX) – and they aren’t looking too clever this week  following their launch of the billboard above on one of the busiest highways in Richmond, Virginia.

Things turned sour for PFOX when it was revealed that the “twins” on the poster aren’t twins at all.

Without seeking permission, PFOX doubled up a photo of a GAY South African model, Kyle Roux – and he’s spitting tacks.

According to this report, Roux says he was shocked that his image was used in ad – especially because he identifies as an “out and proud” gay man.

It just seems like there no place in today’s world for an organisation that is promoting this as being some kind of deviant or distasteful lifestyle, because I’ve lived my life openly gay and happy for my entire life.

He added  that he hoped the billboard campaign wouldn’t harm set back the gay community in the US,  in South Africa or anywhere in the world.

It’s actually quite a big thing that there is this kind of discrimination and borderline hate speech going on, you know.

Roux says he’s worried about teens struggling with their sexuality, and he hopes to empower others.

But Chris Doyle, a licensed clinical professional counselor and former board member of PFOX, defensively said:

The issue isn’t the photo on a the billboard, but the actual science.

What science?

In a press release announcing the erection of the billboard, PFOX referred to a report entitled by a conservative Christian Dr Neil Whitehead entitled “Identical twin studies prove homosexuality is not genetic“.

PFOX said it had erected the billboard:

To educate the public that research studies on identical twins prove that no one is born gay. The billboard is part of PFOX’s campaign to dispel the myths and mistruths that homosexuality is genetic and part of someone’s DNA.

PFOX executive director Regina Griggs added:

Because identical twins are always genetically identical, homosexuality cannot be genetically dictated.

No one is born gay. Every person seeking positive life change needs the love and support of family, friends, the community and the church. Thousands of individuals have made the decision to leave the homosexual life and will attest to the fact that change is possible.

PFOX believes people deserve to know the truth and believes respecting the lives of those who have made a decision to seek change is part of building a tolerant society.

The demented Griggs then refers to a case of a lesbian who turned straight after her twin sister introduced her to … “Christian music”.

exgay

The tattered remains of the “ex-gay” industry suffered another blow when  Christian Schizzel, above, who spent seven years touting “reparative therapy”, this week ditched two ministries that had been using him as a poster boy – Janet Boynes Ministries and The Bachmann & Associates counseling centers owned by US Representative Michelle Bachmann and her husband.

Schizzel felt the need to come out publicly, claiming that his sexuality:

Has been exploited my whole life by the Christian community both knowingly and unknowingly. I’m coming out this second time as my true self – a gay man — louder than before so we can all learn from the mistakes made and the harmful effects of reparative therapy can be uncovered and so that people who have used my story against other gay people won’t have it as a weapon anymore.

Schizzel opened up on the process used to “remove” his homosexuality:

There was a psychological ‘breaking-me-down’ and isolation process from my friends and family because they were considered unhealthy. They did this to achieve complete domination over me to build me up and mold me from there.

He continued:

I was kept from attending the funeral of the mother of one of my closest friend because, they said, the devil was using this funeral to lure me back out to become reacquainted with non-believers. I didn’t talk to my mom for almost a year and a half. I was told it was my family’s fault I was gay because of how I was raised.

And for those who still advocate for ex-gay therapy, Schizzel had this to say:

To those who still promote reparative therapy or hope it could work for them or a family member, I hope they realize this path leads to a horrid dead end.

It’s harmful and excruciatingly painful. There’s no academic or spiritual basis for its promotion. I wouldn’t wish this upon anyone, not even the ones who harmed me the most in this life. In the end, my sexuality is a beautiful gift from God, and every day, I have found, I have to make a choice to honor it in the straight man’s world.

22 responses to “Dishonesty of ‘ex-gay’ group exposed”

1. Newspaniard says:

I was really sympathetic to, Schizzel right up to the point when he said…”In the end, my sexuality is a beautiful gift from God…” Then I thought, “Hmmm…, I wonder which god he is talking about? One of the cruel gods described in the bible or koran or maybe Zeus or even he who is worshiped by the Pastafarians?”. I do wish some of these loonys would be more specific. Anyway, I’m glad he escaped his tormentors, shame that he still “believes”. One step at a time, I suppose…

2. Rob Andrews says:

No gay person that I know including myself, ever sat down and made a rational choice in their sexuality. In fact in my own case I denied that I was attracted ro the weightlifters in my middle school locker room. Oh I thought I just admire them a lot-but that’s it.

I tried to go out with PRETTY girls that I met a dances but there was no sexual feeling at all. If anything we torture ourselves to be normal. This is especially true of people like me growing up in the 1960s. When this could not be talked about even with my liberal parents.

They didn’t chose to be straight. Oh but my ‘sexuality is normal’, therefore not requiring a choice is the reply I get from them.

3. Steve says:

What the hell is ‘the homosexual life / lifestyle’ that Christers go on about? Does the term ‘heterosexual lifestyle’ convey anything meaningful? Jesus freaks think being one of the saved confers deep insights when in fact it makes them think in caricatures.

4. TrickyDicky says:

Lying for jebus again, what’s new.

5. David Anderson says:

By Dr Neil Shitehead’s own research then, if identical twins are born gay nobody else can be het. except by choice.

@Rob Andrews: If I were gay and on the receiving end of the treatment these Christians hand out, including their lies, I would be incandescent. They even send missionaries to spread their poison in Africa.

7. TrickyDicky says:

Nobody is BORN a Christian bigot so it must be a lifestyle choice.

The issue isn’t the photo on a the billboard, but the actual science.

What has science got to do with religion? Religion means believing things because you have been told that they are so, and then fitting the evidence to those preconceptions. That is the very antithesis of the scientific method. PFOX is a Christ-centered support group for homosexuals and their families and friends, [which] provides Christian counsel for those who are struggling with the sin of homosexuality, so, whatever evidence they come across their conclusions are going to be the same. That’s not science. And Whitehead’s basic premise is fatally flawed; because identical twins are “genetically identical” that doesn’t mean that everything about them will be “identical”. What planet is the man living on? Even in the womb, they are going to be subject to different influences, and others have looked at that aspect of development. Can he not read? More about PFOX here:

9. Rob Andrews says:

@barriejohn:

Right It’s a sin! So whatever causes it is unimportant. To enter the kingdom of heaven you must stop-at least the behavior. So you’ll produce a celebet neurotic person.

But I think saying to the public that ‘it’s a choice’. sounds better than saying it’s ‘genetically programed thing’, but we will help you change anyway. Most people would think two things: 1) how can you do that. 2) The person can’t help themselves , so leave him alone–invasion of privacy kind of idea. That how I see it from a PR point of view.

it’s also hard to change an esthetic ‘choice ‘anyway. I just don’t like certain foods. I don’t know why-but I don’t. Through treatment I may feel they arn’t so bad, but I won’t like them.

This link provides food for thought:

We have touched on some of this on this site before.

Again this is also an other fault of science being sloppy, as so many have heard others say “we are doing twin studies as they are the same genetically.” When the truth is they are the same genes but the chemicals they are exposed to in the womb and after birth can change them in significant ways. Although I would blame the media more than scientists, as the media cares little for exact truth.

Rob Andrew: It’s “sinful behaviour” (because they say so), so their “God” couldn’t possibly have “created people gay” – end of story. They’re pathetic. And it doesn’t matter whether it’s a predetermined condition or a “lifestyle choice”, whatever sexuality a person displays is their own business and no one else’s.

13. Barry Duke says:

Someone ought to show them a Peters’ twins video. That should shut them up.

Religious fuckwits are – like many people – hung up on labels. We all know what the real homophobic game is – it’s been well-explained above. Whether a person is genetically gay or not, who cares? What matters is the love that two people have for each other. Fuck the genes, fuck the labels….and fuck the fuckwits.

15. jay says:

Barriejohn: “And it doesn’t matter whether it’s a predetermined condition or a “lifestyle choice”, whatever sexuality a person displays is their own business and no one else’s.”

ABSOLUTELY. Whether it’s genetic or not makes NO FREAKIN DIFFERENCE. Even if it’s a choice, it still makes no freakin difference. People have a right to express themselves in their lifestyle (which is why I think it’s a mistake for defenders of gay rights even to get involved in arguing that quagmire). I have a close friend deeply in the BDSM world. Is it genetic? Who cares? She’s happy there an no one has the right to impose their judgement on it.

16. olive says:

Liberal haters hating on conservative haters. Christians looking for reasons to hate guys, and all of you looking for reasons to hate Christians. Bigots. Is stupid genetic?

17. There have been a number of twin studies that suggest the exact opposite of what these fools are claiming. The studies looked at identical twins who had been separated at birth and brought up in different environments; there was found to be a much greater chance of both twins being gay than in a random sample. This was used for many years to argue that there is a genetic component to homosexuality. These Liars for Jesus are so scientifically illiterate that they can’t even quote the results of twin studies accurately.

I would rather be a liberal bigot than a fascist bigot -but I certainly wouldn’t want to be the sort of cynical bigot that sits on a fence carping at the rest of humanity who do, at least, have the courage and conviction to openly stand for something.

19. dennis says:

love who you love and to hell with the world.

1859: Well said!

Bigot: One who holds irrespective of reason, & attaches disproportionate weight to, some creed or view. (COD; Fowler & Fowler)

I hope Santa brings some people a decent dictionary for Christmas.

21. Rob Andrews says:

@olive
    RE: Haters hating on others.

Hate also helps develope an in group solidarity. Developing a tribal mentality.

22. jay says:

“There have been a number of twin studies that suggest the exact opposite of what these fools are claiming. The studies looked at identical twins who had been separated at birth and brought up in different environments; there was found to be a much greater chance of both twins being gay than in a random sample.”

True, but only in males. There is not a similar correlation in females.