Religious motive for Kansas boy’s murder

Religious motive for Kansas boy’s murder

A court hearing today for a woman charged with first-degree murder following the death this week of her 10-year-old son on Sunday has been postponed until January 8.

Wellington police said that after the boy, Caleb, had gone to bed on Sunday Lindsey Blansett entered his room with a rock and knife. They say she struck him with the rock and stabbed him multiple times in the chest.

According to this report, Blansett was charged on Tuesday with first-degree murder. It’s alleged that she  believed the boy would be better off in heaven, free from future suffering.

Court documents state that on Sunday, December 14, Blansett unlawfully, intentionally and with premeditation killed her son.

The following is a graphic excerpt from the criminal complaint filed by Sumner County Attorney Kerwin Spencer:

After her son, CB, age ten, had gone to bed, she (Blansett) decided his life would be full of suffering and pain and that it would be better for him to go to heaven tonight. She took a knife and rock into his bedroom, struck him with the rock and stabbed him with the knife multiple times until he was dead.

Clint Blansett, Caleb’s father, said he feels robbed of his life with his son. But even during such a trying time, he says his faith is what’s getting him through:

Caleb was an angel, he was an angel and I know without a doubt in my mind he’s sitting at the right hand of Jesus …

18 responses to “Religious motive for Kansas boy’s murder”

1. Trevor Blake says:

“Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!” Psalms 137:9.

Perhaps one of our Christian readers can explain the context in which it is correct to kill children for God. Because there it is in your Holy Book. Please, go on, tell us why it’s wrong sometimes and right other times.

Or admit that you are an apologist for exactly this sort of child sacrifice.

2. Cameron says:

What religious people do is just sickening.

3. Paul Cook says:

Bob?
    Bob?
    Bob?
    Bob?
    Bob?

4. Joe Seph says:

@barryjohn

Have a listen to the 911 call.

I think this woman is unwell, breakdown unwell.

Really sad, but not a religious nutter!!

5. Marky Mark says:

Religion can make cold blooded murder acceptable!

why did she need a rock??

6. Marky Mark says:

Ok…I read more about this case. She is certifiable, nuts…but the problem is that Christians believe all mental illness can be solved with prayer. Had she received professional treatment and medication unlikely this would have happened…and we can blame her church as well as her husband as accessories to this murder

7. Ex Patriot says:

Just another case of what religion does to people, especially those with mental problems, if she had some. A pox on their holy book and all it says

8. dave says:

People who need to believe these myths have part of their brain missing. So I suppose you can’t blame them for their lack of reason

The father seems as unhinged by religion as the mother:

“Caleb was an angel, he was an angel and I know without a doubt in my mind he’s sitting at the right hand of Jesus ”

He knows that “without a doubt” does he? In that case he might think the mother had acted correctly in speeding the boy on his way to Paradise.

10. sailor1031 says:

Well F***it then; let’s speed every one to heaven. We could end human suffering overnight with one good nuclear war – quicker than rocks and knives. It would end animal suggering too so PETA and the animal rights orgs would be happy. It might even end the suffering of trees and rocks as the surface of the planet turns to glass, so the buddhists would be in favour. The only ones left suffering would be the cockroaches. Sorry cockroaches we tried but you’re indestructible…….
    Who says religion doesn’t make things better?

Joe Seph: The webmaster is Barry Duke. This misunderstanding keeps occurring!

I agree that it is difficult to know what line to take when genuine mental illness may be involved. Religion certainly doesn’t help them to deal with their affliction, especially if they are told, as I was, that there is no need for Christians to take drugs or consult psychiatrists, as “Jesus is mighty to heal”.

(PS When I did eventually succumb and was prescribed the wonder drug – Valium – I found that half the bloody church was taking it!)

12. Rob Andrews says:

I can’t see why she didn’t kill herself as well. That way she could go to heaven too.This has been known to happen-whole families are killed, then the the parent kills himself.

Oh! But the holy book forbids murder and suicide.

“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything”.

13. Joe Seph says:

@barriejohn.

My sincere apologies, by the time I twigged my edit window had closed.

14. Cali Ron says:

@barriejohn.
    I made the same mistake before (already said sorry). All you barrie’s look the same on the web!
    Another case of people trusting an imaginary god instead of science with the same tragic results. Pity the boy who’s life was cut short, religion may not be the sole reason, but it certainly was a contributing factor.

For this woman to murder her own child in this way, the depth of her religious delusion must border on madness. For the taliban to gun down 132 school children, the depth of their religious delusion must also border on genocidal madness. Religion – the oh so slippy road to to full-blown insanity, bloodshed, revenge and mayhem.

16. John the Drunkard says:

Mental illness?
    Drugs/booze?
    I’ve no way to know how much of either was involved. But religion is no help for either one.

17. Joe Seph says:

Truly words fail me, I have had to lift a quote to express the disappointment I feel.

‘If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it’s not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true’! Neil deGrasse Tyson.

The lack of empathy is stunning, but worse is the lack of thought and research.

By just spending 10 minutes researching this story I found information that would indicate this woman is mentally unwell.
    I would guess she is suffering from a minimum of paranoia and at worst full blown psychosis and I can tell you all, based on personal experience, in the grips of either of those conditions all bounds of reality are lost. I’m Bi-Polar1.

In the 911 call Lindsey can clearly be heard saying, twice, to the dispatcher that she thought that someone was trying to get in.
    Also at no point in the call does she state that she thought Caleb would be ‘better off in heaven’! She said that she wanted to ‘save him from the pain that was coming’.

Today on a quick scan it comes to light that she had made a complaint 2 weeks earlier to the police, convinced that the father had raped both son and daughter.
    Suddenly the line about ‘saving Caleb from the pain that was coming’ has a context!

I truly believe some of you are just as guilty of the ‘it’s written so it must be true’ syndrome as the misguided and deluded people you hate!

I use the word hate because that’s all it can be seen as.

Without knowing all the facts this woman, this human being, has been tried and convicted of being a religious lunatic by the kangaroo court that is the Freethinker.

I’m sure G W Foote would be very proud of what the Freethinker has become.

‘It will do its best to employ the resources of Science, Scholarship, Philosophy and Ethics’.

Yeh right, I might as well be reading the Daily Mail!

18. Rob Andrews says:

@1859
    RE: “Religion–the oh so slippey road to full blown insanity”.

I mean forget the Taliban. Think about the Aztecs or Mayans. That’s 100% religion and 0% reason. See the movie: ‘Apocalipto’,