Kuwaiti with the big cigar advocates ‘joy’

Kuwaiti with the big cigar advocates ‘joy’

Kuwaiti lawmaker Nabil al-Fadhl provoked angry reactions from fellow members of parliament when he proposed the repeal of a 2004 law that prohibited dancing at concerts and festivals.

Al-Fadhl, who last year threatened to resign from the country’s Ummah Council if bikinis were banned, further outraged conservatives this week with his response to a question posed – with apparent sarcasm – whether he would also support the legalisation of alcohol.

Fadhl, who apparently likes living dangerously, reportedly replied:

Why not?

He called his oil-rich Persian Gulf state:

A country with no joy.

He pointed out that drinking was tolerated in earlier times and that banning alcohol had led to the emergence of a black market where a bottle of spirits can be sold for more than $400.

Alcohol has been banned since 1964 and drinking has been a criminal offense since 1983, according to an account of the lawmaker’s comments on the Gulf News website.

Al-Fadhl reportedly told fellow lawmakers:

Let us put an end to this masquerade that turned Kuwait into a country with no joy. I call upon the minister of information, Shaikh Salman Al Humoud Al Sabah, to take a bold decision that brings joy and happiness back into Kuwait.

aya

Iran’s late Ayatollah Kohmeini, above, must today be groaning in a darkened room somewhere in paradise, for he once declared:

Allah did not create man so that he could have fun. The aim of creation was for mankind to be put to the test through hardship and prayer. An Islamic regime must be serious in every field. There are no jokes in Islam. There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam.

There can be no fun and joy in whatever is serious. Islam does not allow swimming in the sea and is opposed to radio and television serials. Islam, however, allows marksmanship, horseback riding and competition …

Media in the gulf area, where most countries have severe restrictions on the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages, quoted al-Fadhl as saying he had been hit with a lawsuit by fundamentalist colleagues accusing him of besmirching Kuwaiti history.

The Kuwait Times quoted lawmaker Saud Huraiji as saying:

Al-Fadhl is distorting the history and the image of Kuwait and its people who have elected him.

The newspaper said the Islamist Social Reform Society had also strongly condemned al-Fadhl’s position on behaviors that it said violated the principles of Islam.

Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are the only two states with an absolute ban on alcohol, although access to liquor is restricted to hotels and restaurants frequented by foreigners in much of the region. Iranian courts as recently as 2012 upheld death penalties for people convicted of drinking alcohol.

Al-Fadhl has previously stirred controversy with his challenge of the constitutionality of Kuwait’s nationality law that prohibits the naturalisation of non-Muslims.

He said that the nationality law’s blocking of citizenship for adherents of other faiths:

Is a disgrace to the law and does not in any way reflect the values of the Kuwaiti people.

8 responses to “Kuwaiti with the big cigar advocates ‘joy’”

1. Trevor Blake says:

HORRORS! next thing you know they will allow backgammon, forbidden by Mighty Mo himself.

2. Stephen Turner says:

Well, good for him. The best way for the Muslim world to get out of its cul-de-sac is undoubtedly through small and incremental change like this.

I wonder if they eat leavened bread in these countries. The yeast in that produces alcohol, just as happens with the slightly different strains used to make beer, though most of it evaporates during baking.

Ayatollah Khomeini said “Allah did not create man […]”. Blasphemy!
    I’d no idea listening to The Archers could be haram.

3. Cali Ron says:

Investor tip: Take out a life insurance policy on Al-Fadhl. After making radical statements like that if the government doesn’t “remove” him, some islamic extremist will. How pathetic that the late, but not great Ayatollah Kohmeini said, “Allah did not create man so that he could have fun”. Ours is not to question why. Ours is but to toil and die! Sad, unhappy ass wipe. Fuck him, I’m having all the fun I can til I can’t fun no more.

4. Caute says:

What a miserable looking bastard Ayarsewipe Kohmeini was. Pity his plane did not crash in flames during his flight back into Iran..just think how much better things could have been. There is no joy in islam …well thats fine by me..let them be miserable for all I care ..but they want to inflict their poisonous dogma on everyone else. They are not happy unless they are causing mayhem, death and destruction across the world. If they cannot be happy they strive to make everyone else unhappy too. They are not satisfied until we hate them. Islam …a blight on humanity, an abomination, the shit stain in the underpants of the world, a pile of festering dog shit on the doorsteps of decent people. Islam delivers nothing of benefit to society, contibutes nothing worthwhile to the arts, to science, to technology, to engineering, to medicine, to biology.. nothing.
    Islam negates and befouls everything ..E V E R Y T H I N G.

5. Barry Duke says:

Well, I certainly had some fun with the Ayatollah. When this loon came to power I had thousands of stickers printed bearing his ugly mug and the words “Religion Kills!”. These I plastered all over central London, and even in the Parliament building (security was pretty lax in in 1979).

The only place I was nabbed was in the United Nations building in New York, where I was spotted by a security guard who collared me. But I managed to slip out of his grasp and legged it. Back in the day could move practically at the speed of light.

isLame is the worse pile of camel dung in the world!!!
    I thought xtians the source of all evil, isLame is far wore.
    But the only way to fight them is to laugh at the as much and as publicly as possible!

7. Marky Mark says:

Why do they allow alcohol to be freely used on the American military bases located in both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia that protect their oil?
    I imagine that their general population is unaware of this.

Do they know that most of these military personnel are of other religions??

As with most religious states, anything is acceptable when protecting profits.

8. Cali Ron says:

Barry Duke-Would have loved to have seen your escape. That’s fun with a cause! Thanks to terrorism I think it would be more difficult today. Religion fucks everything up. Life must really be a drag in those extreme muslim countries. No fun allowed-I think of the silly pranks I played a a child and realize those things would have had serious consequences in a place like Iran. Pity the poor Iranians who were westernized before the Assatoldya came to power.

On a slightly related point-everyone should go see John Stewart’s movie Rosewater. A look into the life of disgruntled Iranians. I highly recommend it.