Birmingham: terror ‘expert’ apologises

Birmingham: terror ‘expert’ apologises

Steven Emerson,  a self-styled US ‘terrorism expert’,  has issued a grovelling apology after telling Fox News viewers that Birmingham is ‘a totally Muslim’ city ‘where non-Muslims just simply don’t go’.

In truth, according to Wiki‘s entry for Emerson, Birmingham – the second largest city in the UK – has a Muslim population of 22 percent.

Emerson, who once claimed that white extremists don’t use bombs, made the claim during a television discussion about no-go zones in Europe where Muslims are apparently in complete control.

According to this report, he said:

In Britain, it’s not just no-go zones, there are actual cities like Birmingham that are totally Muslim where non-Muslims just simply don’t go in.

He added:

Parts of London, there are actually Muslim religious police that actually beat and actually wound seriously anyone who doesn’t dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire.

He described Birmingham as one of a number of European cities:

Where sharia courts were set up, where Muslim density is very intense, where the police don’t go in, and where it’s basically a separate country almost, a country within a country.

Emerson is a regular contributor to Fox News and was appearing on Judge Pirro, a show hosted by the failed Republican politician Jeanine Pirro.

Pirro responded to her guest’s claim that the British government doesn’t “exercise any sovereignty” in Birmingham by saying:

You know what it sounds like to me, Steve? It sounds like a caliphate within a particular country.

nnn reaction to

Peter Moore’s reaction on Twitter to Emerson’s idiotic claim

Disgruntled Brummies took to Twitter to express their disdain for Mr Emerson’s characterisation of their home city. After being contacted by The Telegraph, Emerson released a fulsome apology, saying he:

Clearly made a terrible error for which I am deeply sorry. You may quote me on this as I will be posting this and taking out an ad in a Birmingham paper.

I have clearly made a terrible error for which I am deeply sorry. My comments about Birmingham were totally in error. And I am issuing an apology and correction on my website immediately for having made this comment about the beautiful city of Birmingham.

I do not intend to justify or mitigate my mistake by stating that I had relied on other sources because I should have been much more careful. There was no excuse for making this mistake and I owe an apology to every resident of Birmingham. I am not going to make any excuses. I made an inexcusable error. And I am obligated to openly acknowledge that mistake.

PS. I intend to make a donation to a Birmingham charity.

Hat tip: AgentCormac

28 responses to “Birmingham: terror ‘expert’ apologises”

1. Ivan says:

“…Parts of London, there are actually Muslim religious police that actually beat and actually wound seriously anyone who doesn’t dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire…”

As a matter of fact, there is some degree of truth in that with well reported incidents of people being accosted, advertising hordings defaced and stickers put on lamposts.

2. Newspaniard says:

22% of Brummies are muslim. Who says that doesn’t make Birmingham a dodgy place for infidels? The “wooden horse” scandal shows who is running education there. I bet that the ratio of burkas and hijabs among the public employees to those without is very high. Not yet a no-go area but heading in that direction.

I think this helps to explain some of the ill-informed remarks made by Americans about the situation in Great Britain. And HE’S “an expert”!

Over a small 2% is too many. Despite what the dishonest moderate muslins claim when they have a large enough %-age they will really start to push for their hate-filled bigoted BS to be enforced….don’t think so? look around the world.

5. Rob Andrews says:

Lissan al-Arab Dictionary: ISLAM id derived from the root word ‘istalama’.- submit or give in; surrender. Accoirding to the website below it means sumission for other people too. The peace seems to come after submission, according to this.

This is from a University of Southern California website on the matter. Check this out.

6. Frits Holland says:

The terror of Fox ignorance on a less than well educated American audience

7. Rob Andrews says:

TYPO. CORRECTION: To The Meaning of Islam

i can’t seem to get this to go to the exact page click to it on the list

8. Andrea says:

I was I Birmingham a couple of days ago. Can’t say I noticed that extremists were in control. A lot of people were drinking, listening to infidel music, enjoying pork products and walking around half dressed (in spite of the cold) didn’t see anyone complaining

9. gedediah says:

I was in Birmingham yesterday dropping my son off at Aston Uni. Members of the muslim population that I saw looked pretty well integrated into the indigenous culture. My son’s bf is a local muslim.

I wonder which are the other cities: “there are actual cities like Birmingham that are totally Muslim where non-Muslims just simply don’t go in.”

And is there a difference between an actual city and a city? I wonder why “the expert” went so overboard in his apology? What would be interesting was where he got his information in the first place. Or do the “experts” just make it up.

11. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn-
    Thanks for the link. I must admit that this yank was totally ignorant as to the extent of the islamic takeover of Birmingham. You guys better circle the wagons and hide the women and children. And for allah’s sake don’t go inside that stadium with all the minarets.

Typical Faux news! They have dozens of these self proclaimed “experts” who’s only real qualifications are Faux news calling them experts. Although, it’s good work if you can get it, generous pay and no qualifications required except adherence to the scripted story line that day. This does maybe help explain why some American’s seem so ignorant of anything not American.

Thanks for awarding me the hat-tip on this one, Barry – but it actually wasn’t me!

13. Vanity Unfair says:

Or, alternatively, try the Office for National Statistics (the old General Register Office) for a more rounded view. (http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/rft-table-ks209ew.xls)
    The proportion of population professing (or being registered by the person who filled in the form; and these are different things) Islam in Birmingham in 2011 was 21.8% (so, close enough) but look further along the line: Christian – 46.1% and No Religion – 19.3%. We are treading on their trailing robes. (Nasty caricature: although it would look better in a cartoon.) Birmingham is only ninth on the list for greatest percentage of Muslims.
    For what this looks like in real numbers:
    Christians – 494,358
    Muslims – 234,411
    No Religion – 206,841.
    Of course, Muslims can be very obvious in the UK and this might be what is scaring the horses.
    In case you are wondering, the least godly place in England and Wales is Norwich. See my projected book, “Norfolk and Religion” for more details.
    Have a look at your home town’s statistics (E+W readers only).

Vanity Unfair: I actually read “Muslims can be very obnoxious in the UK” when I first looked at your comment, but that may have some truth to it! You can’t beat facts, and so many “internet warriors” simply can’t differentiate between fact and opinion. But isn’t BRIGHTON (featured on this site many times) the least godly place in Britain?

15. Daz says:

AC

Indeed, twas I! No worries, I have declared fatwa on Barry for this malicious slight. It’ll probably involve summat awful like forcing him to drink Special Brew for a year, or forcing him to write a three-thousand word treatise on every post The Odious Hutton makes.

16. John says:

OT, I know, but has anyone seen this?

A homophobic pastor named Gaylard Williams (could there be a better name?!) has been charged with battery after making unwanted sexual advances on a 27 year old man.

Just goes to show that Barry really doesn’t make up the names >.<

17. asquith says:

Calling Birmingham “beautiful” is an even bigger slur than anything he said originally. And given what I get up to there, it must be that Islam’s undergone some pretty huge changes if everyone there is a Muslim 🙂

You can visit Chinatown Noodle Bar or Malaysian Delight (both in Chinatown vaguely near the Arcadian centre) for all your definitely non-halal takeaway needs. That’s my recommendation

18. John says:

Of course he did! It’s just too perfect a story…

@Daz

I know which punishment he’d probably prefer!

20. Rob Andrews says:

The American TV program ’60 Minutes’ did a simular report about London about 2 years ago. Stateing that gays and scantely clad women were sometimes attacked in certains times in certain parts of London.This is not to say that this happens ALL the time in these areas. But there are roving ‘vigalante patrols’, that are SOMETIMES around.

In other words it’s generally safe.

21. Paul Cook says:

Why is this a surprise.
    Liam Neeson and his trilogy of films – Taken, shows the whole of Europe dripping with terrorists waiting to take hostage, murder and maim, US citizens’ wives and daughters, is apparently responsible for less and less US visitors to Europe.

22. Daz says:

Talking of getting one’s views of foreign parts from fiction, just the other week I read a Charles Stross novel in which the USA employs torturers, manipulates intelligence reports and starts a war with a foreign land (okay, a parallel world) in order to ensure a supply of oil…

I mean, who’d believe that, right?

23. Cali Ron says:

That Charles Stross has such an imagination, I mean really, like that could happen in ‘murica. Hah!

Is the novel fiction or nonfiction.

24. Vanity Unfair says:

To barriejohn:
    Brighton might be the least godly place in Britain but the ONS, as with The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, when wrong is definitively wrong. It is up to you to prove it is wrong. So the ONS “top ten”of godless Census areas by percentage of responses is:

Norwich
    Brighton and Hove UA
    Blaenau Gwent
    Caerphilly
    Rhondda Cynon Taf
    Cambridge
    Bristol, City of UA
    Bridgend
    Hastings
    Torfaen

I was surprised to see such a good showing from Wales. My own town is not much further down.
    The Argus report is from 2009 so is based on the 2001 Census. Things changed remarkably in the intervening ten years. See page 6:

The 2001 Census does not have a directly comparable table but the page at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/census-2001-key-statistics/local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/local-authorities-ks07–religion.xls
    can be recalibrated to show the areas with the highest proportion of “No Religion” answers. The 2001 “Top Ten” was:

Haringey
    Hackney
    Lambeth
    Forest Heath
    Islington
    Lewisham
    Camden
    Blaenau Gwent
    Southwark

and Brighton is 27th. on that list.
    By the way I read your link as “New Brighton” priest not New “Brighton priest” which threw me.

25. Vanity Unfair says:

Correction: I chose the wrong column (I’m just starting to learn). The 2001 “Top Ten” should be:

Norwich
    Brighton and Hove UA
    Cambridge
    Rhondda; Cynon; Taff/Rhondda; Cynon; Taf
    Blaenau Gwent/Blaenau Gwent
    Nottingham UA
    City of London
    Bristol; City of UA
    Caerphilly/Caerffili
    Oxford

26. Daz says:

Cali Ron

Fiction. It was The Trade of Queens, the last, so far, of his Merchant Princes series. Not as good, in my opinion, as the Laundry Files series, but still a good read.

27. Cali Ron says:

Daz-
    Thanks. I shall make an addition to my reading list.