Sausage video sparks anger in Pakistan

Sausage video sparks anger in Pakistan

The image above appears as the introduction to a video showing Reham Khan, the former BBC presenter, cooking and selling pork sausages.

The 41-year-old TV star, who recently married ex-cricketer-turned-Pakistan-politician is of British-Pakistani decent. She can be seen frying the religiously restricted meat at a country fair in West Sussex for the BBC South Today show in 2011.

According to this report, the film – extensively viewed in Pakistan over the last week – also shows Khan wearing “revealing” outfits, and has caused outrage among Islamic conservatives.

Khan pictured serving pork sausages under the watchful eye of sausage-making champion David Bell. (click on image to see video).

It follows weeks of controversies for the newlywed couple, who were criticised for holding a lavish ceremony on January 8, less than a month after the Army Public School massacre in Peshawar.

Taliban militants murdered 150 children and teachers during the attack.

The pair were heckled by parents when they paid a visit to the school to offer their condolences on Wednesday. Said the former presenter:

To be honest, I never thought I’d come back to Pakistan and I never thought I’d have any contact with Pakistanis … Being a woman, you are a target for jealousy.

While it’s a well-known fact that pork is haram in Islamic societies, I have only just learned from this report that pigeon and dove breeding is “un-Islamic” too – and has resulted in the execution of three young men in Iraq by ISIS.

A pigeon fancier pictured in Iraq in 2009

A pigeon fancier pictured in Iraq in 2009

The extremist Islamist fighters this week rounded up 15 boys and young men in the eastern province of Diyala for pursuing the pastime. Three have already been executed, according to a security official in the area.

Abu Abdullah, a 52-year-old farmer, told NBC News about the moment earlier this week that six gunmen barged into his home and dragged away his oldest son, who is 21.

My son was standing beside me. I asked them why, and they said, ‘He is not following the real Islam, he must be punished for being a pigeon breeder. This habit is taking him away from worshiping Allah’.

The fighters put the household’s pigeons in bags and burned them. Then they took away his son.

The hobby, which was especially popular among middle and lower classes before the US invasion in 2003, has been targeted by extremists of all stripes. Suspicion of bird-breeders stems from the fact they tend to feed their animals at the same time devout Muslims traditionally hold their first of five daily prayers.

This distrust has prompted some clerics to issue fatwas against bird breeders.

All this is immaterial for Abu Abdullah, who can only think of his missing son. He said:

We are helpless and hopeless. I know they will kill him sooner or later. I’m waiting for someone to tell me he was killed, and the only thing I will do is to take his body and bury it.

Hat tip: M Chohan (Iraq report)

10 responses to “Sausage video sparks anger in Pakistan”

1. Newspaniard says:

How can anyone follow this mythical prophet and his invented god when his philosophy breeds ignorant savages like these? And we (the UK) are importing these followers by the hundreds of thousands a year demanding changes to our common law as if it were a right. I despair.

2. Trevor Blake says:

The majority of leaders of the non-Muslim nations keep assuring me these murders, kidnapings, groomings, bombings and the rest (carried out by Muslims who say they are acting as Muslims) have nothing to do with Islam. It’s not the liars at the top to fear or be angry at. It’s the millions who ignore the evidence of their own eyes and follow the lie.

3. Rob Andrews says:

I can only agree with the first two posters. We are sharing the 21st century with people loving in a medieval fantasy world. Getting angry over pork and pigeons. I can vaguely understand the cartoon thing–but these things are so trivial.

Lissan al-Arab Dictionary–Islam. From the foot verb Istlama. Meaning ‘submit’,’surrender’. Another dirivative is ‘salem’, meaning ‘peace’. So do we get peace after surrender.

Here’s a good websit. http://www.citizenwarrior.com It shows what we are up against.

4. jay says:

That woman would be crazy to EVER set foot in or near Pakistan.

5. Adam Tjaavk says:

“…have nothing to do with Islam.”

Relevance: Surely, must be something – Arsenal? Chabad Lubavitch? Salvation Army? hopscotch? Sainsbury’s?

_____

Three young men executed for breeding pigeons? At first I thought this was a sick joke, but for sure allah does move in strange ways. This is nothing less than spiritual facism – an attempt to control every tiny facet of a person’s life, from how and when they shit to what they do in their free time. These totalitarians are elevating ignorance as the greatest good and goal of humanity. Sickening beyond words. I hope one day they will be covered in pigeon shit.

I have been watching the isLame moving into various European countries and doing there best to NOT blend in. All I can say is isLame-aphobia is not valid when the desert raised Aholes are doing what they do best–spreading their BS in the name of respect (which they DO NOT DESERVE) tolerance (which they DO NOT DO!!)
    Good luck to you all–You will need it —- STOP giving them any respect & include the xtians too.

8. lucy 1 says:

I know Xtians would be just as bad, if they could get away with it. I remember reading about St Kilda, where you were forbidden to look anywhere but the path, as you walked to church. That level of control is grabbed by all religions, if they can. Poor St Kildans all went along with it. I wonder what would have happened to heretics in that closed community.

How many people have ISIS and Boko Haram killed? it is just so terrible. The awful sadness of that father.

9. Vanity Unfair says:

If anywhere could do with a few doves….