Jesus slogans broke insurance rules

Jesus slogans broke insurance rules

A UK insurance company has threatened to void the motor insurance policy of Christian minister Rev Wena Parry, 75, above, because she put religious stickers on her car.

Parry, according to the BBC, was told that stickers saying “Christ Must Be Saviour” and “Christ For Me” could be regarded as “modifications” and could invalidate her policy.

Parry, from Cymmer in Neath Port Talbot said she believes she has been treated unfairly because of her religious beliefs by Age UK insurance.

There might be somebody within that company that hates Christianity.

Age UK denied there was a religious motive behind the move.

The company first objected to the stickers when she tried to claim on her policy after a part was stolen from the car and photographs were submitted as part of the claim.

christcar2

She was given ten days to explain why she had not told them about the stickers, and an additional cigarette lighter point in the boot, when she took the policy out.

Age UK told her in a letter:

These modifications do not fit our acceptance criteria for motor insurance and cover would have been declined if we had been made aware of these at the time of purchasing your policy.

But they denied that the threat to withdraw the policy had anything to do with religion. A spokesman said:

The situation regarding Rev Parry’s claim was in no way related to the Christian nature of her graphics.

They said their insurers Ageas Insurance Limited had investigated the sale of her policy.

They have concluded that our request to declare all modifications was not made clear enough to Rev Parry and therefore she did not know which vehicle enhancements should have been declared. They say they will review the wording on their policy application.

Parry excuse for having wheels with silly slogans was:

Every opportunity I have I want to tell people about Jesus. I reckon there must at least a million people who have read the texts on my car.

And I reckon there most be at least a million people who have seen her car, rolled their eyes, and exclaimed: “Jesus Christ, what a ‘king nutter!”

Another thought: Is Parry related to the late Julian Beck, who played Reverend Henry Kane in Poltergeist 2?

Pelicula-poligates

Hat tip: Marcus Robinson.

20 responses to “Jesus slogans broke insurance rules”

1. jay says:

This is absurd. Religious or not, it certainly should not be legal for them to void insurance for modifications unrelated to safety.

Sheesh. They wouldn’t like my Jeep then.

April the First already? How time flies! Thousands – if not millions – of cars on Britain’s roads have stickers in their rear windows bearing details of the dealerships that supplied them. The insurers must be on to a good thing here, as all insurance claims relating to such vehicles must surely be invalid!

PS When I was a nipper, some of the more extreme Christians used to cover their cars – and even their persons on occasions – with Bible verses, which were supposed to “convict the unsaved”. None went quite as far as the owner of this car, though, which looks like a mobile newspaper:

I can see that in a case like that the distraction might make the vehicle more liable to be involved in an accident.

4. Pavel says:

Thinking infected with any faith is always made idiotic and is always ready to hurt other people. Whether it’s Christianity or bureaucracy. This or that – it is always the same belief in some kind of order superior to human common sense.

5. Graham Martin-Royle says:

I’ve got a sticker on my car, the atheist “A”. Does this mean that my insurance is now invalid? How bloody stupid. I don’t agree with her stickers but this is just another example of insurance companies trying everything to get out of paying up. I think I hate them almost as much as religion.

6. John C says:

This is a discracefull worm out by an insurance company,the only modifications that should count are change to engine, transmission or brakes,things which affect safety/top speed.I suggest the company concerned should be immediately added to everyones do not buy from list.

Insurance companies are in 2nd place behind the religious in the rip-off stakes with the churches fleecing the gullible and promising a ticket to an after-life. I agree the insurance crooks always try to find some tiny detail to avoid paying up. Is that howls of “persecution” I hear from that mad Woman at the Christian legal centre?

8. Vanity Unfair says:

This is a little worrying. I have insurance with Ageas through a broker. I have always assumed that details of modifications have been passed on by the broker from previous policies. It’s a very old vehicle and standard parts are not always available anyway.
    As others have said, insurers will try anything not to pay up.
    How many readers here have Darwin fishes on their car?

It’s a standard rule of insurance that whatever it is that you’re claiming for isn’t covered. You’ll find it in the small print of your policy somewhere.

‘Christ must be saviour’

Really? Why? It’s a bit like an advert with the headline ‘Buy eggs’. Where’s the substantiation? The compelling reason to believe? But then, we’ve been waiting for that from xtians for over two millennia now and I doubt we’ll be hearing it from them any day soon.

11. JohnMWhite says:

I notice that most people here seem to have skimmed the article and missed a crucial point – the undeclared modifications the insurance company objected to were, collectively, the stickers and a new cigarette lighter power point in the boot. The latter is quite rational to consider concerning for an insurance company as they have no idea who put it in or how good a job they did, and I would be surprised if they gave a toss about the stickers themselves. It’s just boilerplate printed out by some bureaucrat who, when working on hundreds of claims that day, didn’t consider that the very minor modification of ‘graphics’ would cause a fuss when listed.

Even the BBC article only mentions that in passing toward the end, leaving everyone with the impression this is something malicious and possibly anti-religious.

12. Trevor Blake says:

“And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.” Judges 1:19

There you have it. God is unable to stop anyone with a chariot of iron.

13. Laura Roberts says:

JohnMWhite beat me to the punch — I’m fairly certain it was the cigarette lighter power point (possibly DIY) and not the stickers that caused concern. Otherwise, the stickers could make her safer: as the article says, most people will see them, think “What a f–king nutter” and give her a wide berth.

14. Barry Duke says:

It was pointed out by an insurance guru on BBC Radio 2 today, which covered the story, that vehicles bearing slogans – religious ones in particular – are more likely to suffer vandalism as they could be seen as provocative. The insurers’ actions therefore makes sense.

15. Neil says:

Why does she even need insurance? Isn’t Jeebus looking out for her?

16. Timb says:

In my opinion this is justified. From a risk point of view, someone with a controversial statement on their car risks their car becoming a target for vandalism etc. Therefore her premium should go up to accommodate the increased risk. A dealer’s sticker is not in the same league as the crap that this loon has chosen to plaster all over her vehicle…..let’s not forget the extra ciggy point, increase risk of fire therefore premium goes up!!

17. Timb says:

Why did I not read Barry’s post before hitting the keyboard?!

18. Barry Duke says:

Nevermind, Timb, you’re not seeing my comment does not invalidate your point. Incidentally, the woman in question was interviewed, and came across as being several knives short of a full canteen. She also said the car was no longer on the road, having since been scrapped. That’s the good news. The bad news is that she’s getting a new one, and intends using it to spread the news of Jeeeesus. Quote: “If you’d won the lottery, you’d want everyone to know about it. Same goes for Jeeeesus!”

19. andy says:

Well I for one will never ever use this company.
    If I had shares in it I would sell them.

20. gil gosseyn says:

Those are not “stickers”, it’s quite clearly signwriting. Sign-written vehicles have been subject to higher premiums forever (ask any commercial vehicle driver) because they attract attention and are more costly to repair {the sign writing has to be made good in any body repair}.

This is non-news, an as surprising as metallic paint and expensive alloy wheels increasing your premium. It’s just that most people don’t come across the intricacies of insuring a commercial vehicle.