‘Stop inflicting dinosaurs on kids’

‘Stop inflicting dinosaurs on kids’

A Christian parent  – part of a group that believes dinosaurs are a dangerous myth – is getting international attention after posting an angry rant on the parenting site, Mumsnet.

The writer – “CADministry” – starts :

I am getting sick and tired of dinosaurs being forced on our children … I think something needs to be done. The science behind them is pretty flimsy, and I for one do not want my children being taught lies. Did you know that nobody had even heard of dinosaurs before the 1800s, when they were invented by curio-hungry Victorians?”

Aside from the educational aspect, dinosaurs are a very bad example for children. At my children’s school, several children were left in tears after one of their classmates (who had evidently been exposed to dinosaurs), became bestially-minded and ran around the classroom roaring and pretending to be a dinosaur.

Then he bit three children on the face. One poor girl has been left with a severely dented nose and the whole class was left traumatised by this horrible display.

At this point one starts to wonder whether this is being written tongue-in-cheek. Nowadays it’s so hard to tell, given that so much of what Christians say and write looks like satire. But for entertainment purposes, if nothing else, let’s read more.

Nothing about dinosaurs is suitable for children, from their total lack of family values through to their non-existence from any serious scientific point of view.

Recently my sister foolishly gave my two youngest some dinosaur toys for Christmas. After telling her to get out of my house, I burnt the dinosaurs. My children were delighted because they know dinosaurs are evil. I am fortunate my family have been very supportive, and have disowned my children’s former aunt.

Please, do what you can to get dinosaurs taken off the curriculum. Our school has been recently presented with a 214-signature petition, and following that and our recent protest, the headmaster has said he will take it the governors. We are lucky he is so sympathetic to our cause, but I fear that others may not be.

The writer is part of a Facebook group called “Christians Against Dinosaurs” which has nearly 4,000 members. The main graphic on the page shows animals boarding Noah’s ark, but a dinosaur is crossed out.

The page-long diatribe by “CADministry” quickly sparked much mockery and mirth, and the writer’s dotty claims drew hundreds of replies. The the now-closed thread runs to 40 pages and 1,000 posts. My favourite was from “NickAngel”:

Totally agree … and the mermaids can feck off too.

“CADministry” then replied:

I used to believe in dinosaurs. We all did. We were all raised on the dinosaur lie, and so we don’t question it.

Consider what we’re actually telling our children with these tall tales – stomping about the place, making loads of noise and mess is great and cool, being aggressive, shouting and biting people is to be applauded, being cold-hearted will win you the world for millions of years.

See more here.

16 responses to “‘Stop inflicting dinosaurs on kids’”

She’s taking the piss out of them, isn’t she, but they’re asking for it if any of them are serious. The “total lack of family values” is a giveaway, but hilarious!

2. Newspaniard says:

From the creationists notion that dinosaurs walked with early man (6,000 years ago) to dinosaurs being a total myth. Who pays these people? Do they actually write these articles themselves or do they dictate the items to their keepers through their padded cell doors?

One of the women has posted a number of videos on YouTube. She’s obviously a real intellectual.

Don’t miss the comments!

Not even the body plans of these nonsensical “Dinosaurs” were even remotely feasible. Seriously, T-Rex the giant walking mouth with 2 itty bitty arms? How did it balance itself?

Face it. You’ve been duped. Dinosaurs never existed. Modern Science is a Lie.

4. David Anderson says:

“I am getting sick and tired of dinosaurs being forced on our children …”

She has a point, have you ever tried to carry one of those buggers in your satchel?

This silly woman, whom I suspect of being a liar in her calumny of dinosaurs, is depriving her children of so much. Dinosaurs are a big deal in my house where there are dinosaur books, dinosaur models and lots of dinosaur games. My three year old grand daughter does a terrific dinosaur roar which she heard at the Natural History Museum.

What do dinosaurs offer to the open minded and curious child? They introduce a far distant past and the idea of a planet which existed long before humans. They stimulate the imaginative child to envisage gigantic animals and the life they must have led. They encourage play acting: being chased by Tyrannosaurus Rex is exciting. And they are a route into many different areas of science.

If dinosaurs are frightening and cause harm then the fault is entirely that of the parents. “There is nothing either good nor bad but thinking makes it so.”

6. Trevor Blake says:

Job 39:9 “Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?”

Jer. 8:17, “For, behold, I will send serpents, cockatrices, among you, which will not be charmed, and they shall bite you, saith the LORD.”

Not to mention that invisible monster that lives in the sky, God.

7. dennis says:

Funny that a reptilian with little front legs can destroy the fairy delusion. that’s a big reason to ban the creatures from the past I would say.

“Did you know that nobody had even heard of dinosaurs before the 1800s, when they were invented by curio-hungry Victorians?”
    So when are they going to give up their computers, iPhones and cars As no one heard of them before the 1800s either, as I think they are the inventions of curio-hungry moderns!!!!

9. jay says:

Barney has been forced on all of us. I’m sick of it.

10. Robster says:

Religious ratbags just want to ruin it for the kids. Children love dinosaurs, like they love Tonka Trucks or Barbie, some even have little plastic Jesus’ nailed to wee plastic torture instruments with a pull string that makes the pvc Jesus say “hate your family to love me” or “I’ve come with a sword” to play with, lots of fun for the kids. If it’s not enough to drag them along to some sort of eat Jesus/Worship service carry on at the crack of dawn Sundays, taking away the dinosaurs will make them hate that Jesus/god fantasy even more and those touting it and they may embrace science and reason. Could be a positive.

Robster: How right you are. Maybe it is time to “Stop inflicting Jesus on kids” instead!

12. andym says:

We’re deep into Poe territory here, but the bit about dinosaurs lacking family values, was the clincher in me deciding it’s a wind-up. Good laugh either way.

13. Ex Patriot says:

Better the kids have dinosaurs than the religious superstitions they are supposed to learn, At least the dinos were real.

14. Cali Ron says:

Next thing you know they are gonna say the Flintstones (a modest stone age family) never existed either. Don’t even try to shit on my “yabadabado time” you sick bastards! Don’t tread on Fred!

15. JohnMWhite says:

As others have said, I’m pretty sure it’s a wind up, but it does read as a rather well put-together Greatest Hits album of Creationist tropes. The claims that “the science behind them is pretty flimsy” and of “their non-existence from any serious scientific point of view” are ones I’ve seen made repeatedly in all seriousness by people who think science is a conspiracy to tell lies yet also doesn’t support its own mythology. It is troubling to see adults struggle to maintain cohesion within their own cognitive dissonance, not to mention ironic as they tend to be blithely unaware that much of their own faith isn’t supported by its own founding documents.

16. Marky Mark says:

Just read this story at another news site where the reporter joined this groups Internet site to find out more about them… these people are crazy and proves that ignorance must be the rule to the average christian here in the US.

One comment at site of the reporters story I found amusing was this: “The Internet was not known before the 1800’s so why are these people using it, especially since they are so anti-science?”