‘No more gays here’ says Christian college

‘No more gays here’ says Christian college

A rural South Carolina college is attempting to eradicate homosexuality among its students after two of the school’s popular volleyball players  – Drew Davis, left, and Juan Verona – came out as gay.

Erskine College reacted by issuing policy statement saying that it is officially opposed to same-sex relationships because it isn’t part of:

God’s intended design for humanity.

When Davis and Juan Verona came out as gay last year, the response from fellow students was, overall, positive. Their team went on to play against the top teams in the nation at the NCAA tournament.

Now, according to this report, Erskine officials are attempting to make certain that any other LGBT students at the college know that the school does not welcome them.

The school’s “Statement on Human Sexuality”, said:

It continued:

Christ affirms that marital union is to be between a man and woman (Matt 19:4-6). The Bible teaches that monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is God’s intended design for humanity and that sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage (1 Thes. 4:3-5, Col. 3:5-7).

Sexual relations outside of marriage or between persons of the same sex are spoken of in scripture as sin and contrary to the will of the Creator (Rom. 1:26-27; 1 Cor. 6:9-10; 1 Tim. 1:9-11).

We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful and therefore ultimately destructive to the parties involved. As a Christian academic community, and in light of our institutional mission, members of the Erskine community are expected to follow the teachings of scripture concerning matters of human sexuality and institutional decisions will be made in light of this position.

The college’s website said that it intends to:

Add the statement to its official manuals and determine how it will be integrated into campus culture and procedures.

Varona said:

The release of this statement makes me disappointed because I have never received anything but kind treatment from everyone at this school, and my sexual orientation is no secret. So it took me by surprise.

He added:

The school took several steps back instead of progressing towards a future where everyone can be treated as an equal … it just made me sad and worried for other gay people who might be struggling with confidence to come out.

27 responses to “‘No more gays here’ says Christian college”

You might just as well bar left-handed or “ginger” students!

In 1999, Rev. John Carson became president of the college. Upon his installation he noted: “I do not intend to add anything new, not one new straw on the backs of faculty or staff or students. But I do intend to be consistent in making this vision a reality. Erskine College will be, by God’s grace, what it has been called to be—a Christian liberal arts college open to all students. (Citation not supplied)

I am shocked – SHOCKED I tell you. The college has FEMALE students!!

“(T)each the young women to be sensible, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.”

That’s what the Bible says (Titus 2:4&5 KJV).

3. EJ says:

Religious schools should be absolutely prohibited as a form of child abuse.

There. Short and sweet. ppppbbbbbb! 😛

4. Sailor1031 says:

Time was when left-handed students were discriminated against by being forced to use their right hands for writing. My mother went to school in the twenties and thirties and, as a natural lefty, was forced to learn to write with her right hand (in those days it was all inkpens and joined-up handwriting). As a result she was ambidextrous.
    This college admin rant seems to be pointless. Two students are gay – so what? Is there some reason to believe they were having sinful same sex or were getting married to other men? or doing anything else against “doG’s design for humanity”? Rural South Carolina you say? Why am I not surprised? Those ignorant redneck crackers probably think the gay is contagious and they could catch it themselves.

PS One of the Brethren who had a big influence upon me as a teenager and young man died recently, aged 90 years. Someone has sent me the order of service for his funeral (they don’t give up), and I note that his daughter (whom he refused to give away at her wedding as she was marrying an “unbeliever”) had chosen a poem in his memory. One of the men had to read it out! That says it all about these people.

PPS She was allowed to contribute a little written piece in the leaflet!

6. David Anderson says:

Jebus barriejohn, I’m both left-handed and ginger!

7. EJ says:

A soulless one! Quick! Get some holy water so we can see if he melts like the Wicked Witch!

8. Brummie says:

Quite agree EJ. Religious schools are child abuse.

9. Trevor Blake says:

These modern liberal schools are distorting the bible. Every Christian knows god commands them not to make homosexual men feel unwelcome, not to let god punish them later, but to kill them in a public execution. “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.” Leviticus 20:13. And Jesus confirmed this law is eternal. “It is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.” Luke 16:17

So go on, you loving Christians, stop saying one thing and doing another. Either follow your religion and kill these men, or admit you are liars who only follow the parts of your religion you like. Or stop having to alternate between murderer or liar – abandon your faith. Be a responsible sane adult, be an atheist.

OT: I see from the NSS that Eric Pickles (no, you are unlikely to see him cycling to parliament) has warned against “aggressive secularists”. With so many religious targets available Pickles, brain steeped in religion, chooses atheists.

11. Laura Roberts says:

@Sailor1031 I’m glad you reminded us of this. A relative of mine grew up in the 1920’s and was allowed to learn to write left-handed, but the way they taught her was to curl her hand around and drag the pen/pencil behind. The sad irony is that to this day she is an unapologetic homophobic Christian bigot.

12. Dianne Leonard says:

My dad was left-handed (born in 1921) and was “broken” (that’s what they called it) to write with his right hand. He wept when I got him a pair of left-handed scissors for one of his birthdays. He said that he’d never learned to use right-handed scissors, and many other tools. Except for writing, he did everything else left-handed. He remembered his teachers called him “evil” and would beat him and tie his left arm behind his back. Terrible way to treat a child! For no reason!

13. Keri Davies says:

The usual quote-mining. The Bible in fact is approving of same-sex relationships: David and Jonathan, Ruth and Naomi, Paul and Timothy, and yes, even Jesus and John.

14. Rob Andrews says:

@Laura Roberts:
    That left handed switch over was still going on in the early 1960s. A friend of mine had the same kind of treatment.

But I have no problem with a PRIVATE SCHOOL’ discriminating against anyone it wants to. As long as that policy is made clear when the student first enroles. I’m ma libertarian.and gay. I don’t want to go to any school that soesn’t want me.
    “Blasphamy is a victimless crime”

15. Marky Mark says:

“So go on, you loving Christians, stop saying one thing and doing another. Either follow your religion and kill these men, or admit you are liars who only follow the parts of your religion you like.”

because they would also have to stone to death the people who work on Sunday, (all fast food workers) and the adulterers in their flock, who are probably many.

16. Marky Mark says:

…and Lefties are right brained, the side of the brain where creativity lies.
    My mother was a lefty, I eat and write lefty but everything else righty…guess I’m confused.

‘God’s intended design for humanity.’……So god’s seen all this coming? I mean like EVERYTHING? Gay people? ISIS? Torture chambers? My bald patch? There’s nothing he can’t see or do because he’s designed the whole fucking thing? Correct? Well as far as I’m concerned , he’s made a wholly fucking mess! He needs to be fired!

‘God’s intended design for humanity’ – you have to be truly brain dead to believe this.

18. Rob Andrews says:

The standard answer from Xtians for all that bad stuff is that we have free choice. And also death and sickness is due to our ‘original sin’,that is after the expulsion from the ‘garden of eden’.
    At least this is the answer i’m given.

“Atheism is a non-prophet religion”–from the web.

” sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage (1 Thes. 4:3-5, Col. 3:5-7). ”

So that, I’m afraid, excludes sexual intimacy with small boys and the women, other than their wives, that so many preachers are discovered shagging. Wouldn’t be interesting to know how many of the school staff have broken the sexual intimacy rule with both same sex and other sex partners. And our own future head of the C. of E. , Charles Windsor strayed from God’s teachings.

There is a self righteous, hypocritical, fetid stench to this vile and interfering guidance. The most mature and civilised comments came from one of the two youths.

This a good thing!!! Think about it, they say NO GAYS!!! because of religion, GREAT!!! They are a religious school so OK.
    NOW…there are a large number of dimwitted aholes out there that say…. NO VAX because RELIGION. Great since they are against it for religion then make it mandatory for public schools and the parents have the freedom to chose not to vax and can go infect each other at the religious schools.

21. Vanity Unfair says:

“We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful and therefore ultimately destructive to the parties involved.”
    Can someone remind me; were Jesus’s parents married?

@ Rob Andrews: I’m afraid I can’t agree. If god created everything he also created our ‘free will’ and since he is advertised as omniscient he knows,before we have even acted according to our free will, what we are going to do. If our will was truely ‘free’ it would have to be something outside god’s control – and, of course, nothing can possibly be outside his control because not only is this fuckwit in the sky omniscient, he is also omnipotent. He has the power to foresee what is going to happen with all that ‘free’ will he has released into the world. So I stick by my assertion: god is one big joke – the greatest lie told in the history of humankind. But what do I care? I’m just an atheist, where’s my whisky?

23. EJ says:

There is no such thing as free will and never was, only the illusion of it in much the same fashion as our illusion of self-awareness. Physics is real, our perception is only a self-referential feedback loop. Oh, damn, I did it again. Fuck.

24. Cali Ron says:

I say “Free Willy”! Your willy is free to do whom or what ever it wants to do. That’s free will for Willy which makes sense in a simplistic way. The “free will” argument, however, doesn’t even work on a simplistic level. I’m free to do what I want, but god already knows what I’m going to do. So why bother, god already knows who’s going to heaven before there born, so why bother with this life at all? Original Sin is even crazier-we’re all on the hook for our father’s sins? Both of these are inventions of the church to try to explain the unexplainable. In a word Bull Shit (OK, that’s 2 words).

25. Vanity Unfair says:

The English legal system and ethics of punishment are based on the presupposition of free will. So we have to believe in it. we have no choice.

Exclude the existence of god and free will is clearly true.

27. EJ says:

“ will is clearly true.”

Good trolling there.
    Should you ever feel like wading into the deep end, take a gander at neurology to get a feel for how much we know so far – no degree needed to skim the occasional articles and headings, you know…

Free will is completely debunked, sorry.