Castrated for God: 400 guru devotees

Castrated for God: 400 guru devotees

“Saint” Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Ji Insan, above, a multi-millionaire Indian guru, is facing allegations that he convinced 400 of his followers have their testicles removed.

According to this report, officers from India’s elite Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) appear to have made a crucial breakthrough in a long-running investigation into the alleged mass castrations by gathering important testimony from victims and other witnesses. Charges of grievous bodily harm against are being prepared against the spiritual leader, who recently released an action movie, MSG: The Messenger.

He not only directed it, but had the balls to do his own stunts.

With most of the victims apparently fearing for their lives if they speak out against the charlatan – he has 40 to 50 million followers around the world – investigators appear to have finally managed to crack a code of silence, with several witnesses now willing to testify in court.

According to the only victim to come forward publicly so far, Hans Raj Chauhan, the castrations began around the year 2000. Chauhan’s lawyer, Navkiran Singh, said:

They [the victims] were told that only those who get castrated will be able to meet God.

Chauhan has said that in addition to fearing retribution from Ram Rahim’s followers, many victims feared being made social outcasts if they came forward with their stories.

According to witnesses interviewed by police last week, the castrations were carried out by doctors at a hospital run by Ram Rahim’s Dera Sacha Sauda organisation in his ancestral village in the state of Rajasthan.

Whether or not the police will bring a successful case against Ram Rahim, the furore surrounding the castrations certainly appears to have dampened public enthusiasm for the guru’s movie.

After a spectacular January opening when a world-record crowd of 157,000 people attended a public premiere in Gurgaon, a satellite city of the capital Delhi, ticket sales have plummeted as the castration scandal makes national headlines.

Despite purporting to show Ram Rahim performing real miracles such as walking on air and tearing tree trunks in half with his bare hands – the film was initially denied a classification by Indian censors who objected to Ram Rahim’s portrayal of himself as God.

Attendances at the 4,000 cinemas where the film is screening have been so low that Ram Rahim has been  making bulk ticket purchases in an effort to boost box-office receipts.

Already facing conspiracy charges over the 2002 murder of a newspaper editor who tried to investigate stories of wrongdoing emanating from inside his sprawling gated compound in the state of Haryana, as well as numerous charges of sexual exploitation of female followers, Ram Rahim has proved a master at avoiding convictions, thanks in part to his value to politicians as a source of votes.

In state elections held late last year, it is believed that Ram Rahim helped to deliver tens of millions of voters to Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party in the crucial central and northern states of Haryana, Rajasthan and Punjab, helping the BJP win government.

Whatever the eventual outcome of the numerous criminal investigations he is facing, Ram Rahim is only one in a long line of Indian gurus to face accusations of scandal and chicanery. Last November, police arrested Baba Rampal Maharaj after a long and violent siege at his ashram in Haryana, when he refused to comply with court orders over a murder case.

GURU-facebook

Then there is the more bizarre case of the frozen guru, Ashutosh Maharaj, above, who was declared dead by medical authorities on January 29 last year but is being held in a deep freezer by followers in his Punjab ashram who firmly believe their sadhu is in a particularly uncommunicative state of meditation known as samadhi.

Gurus play an integral role in daily life for many Indians, offering a pathway to enlightenment, and being the focus of such devotion can bring enormous riches – the “spiritual enlightenment” business is worth about $35 billion a year in India.

In addition to Ram Rahim, who has a personal fortune estimated to be in excess of $50 million, other self-proclaimed saints such as Sathya Sai Baba, who died in 2011 aged 85, and whose most famous trick was an ability to conjure ash from thin air, was believed to have amassed a fortune worth more than $7 billion.

Then there is yoga legend Asaram Bapu, now aged 73, who is said to be worth about $1.9 billion, and Mata Amritanandamayi, also known as Amma, who has a built a fortune of nearly $300 million just by offering people “holy hugs”.

Hat tip: Robert Stovold & Angela K

27 responses to “Castrated for God: 400 guru devotees”

Is he offering his devotees’ testicles for sale on the black market, I wonder?

One is tempted to say: “This story’s a load of bollocks”!

The upside of this is that the idiots who had their bits removed can’t breed more idiots.

I know I shouldn’t and I am probably, insensitive and callous but both these stories are so funny. Men asking to have their balls cut off so they can meet God. Why not their finger or an ear lobe? Sex is never far from the thinking of religious charlatans.

As for the other one in Samadhi, but who has been dead for over a year, the followers are going to have a long wait for him to revive.

If you want the hysterically funny and bizarre in life and death you can’t beat religion. But are either of these examples any more incredible than some of the antics in the RC church e.g. wine and bread into blood and flesh?

4. Trevor Blake says:

Contrast this with the life’s work of Gora, an atheist in India and direct influence on Gandhi …

I’m surprised that in a land where people are convinced its a good idea to bath and drink fro a highly polluted river, can be convinced to give up their balls, Darwin Award winners!!!!!
    But why is he being convicted of a crime??? He told 400 stupid people to cut off their balls and they did it??? Where is the crime???

6. Vanity Unfair says:

There have been castration cults before. However, they all have one thing in common. They no longer exist. Could there be a connection?

7. Marky Mark says:

I know I’m off topic but this is of importance to the whole site…for those who remember my post months ago that I seen an old catholic schoolboy friend and gave him my copy of Hitchen’s book, “God is Not Great”…I seen him last night at another gathering. (We old high school friends are trying to see each other more since we are getting older and before we start dying off)
    Near the ending of the night I asked him, “Did you read the book?”
    Him; “YES, now I’m really confused”
    Me; “I was too, but watch some of Hitchens debates on youtube, their great and elaborate on his book, also search Richard Dawkins.”
    Him; “I’ve heard of him”
    Me; “The book you want to read by him is The God Delusion, also read Hitchens book about Mother Teresa”
    Him; “Oh, I will”
    Me; “John, (We both have catholic names), think about this, supposedly Moses and his tribe wandered in the desert for forty years, archeologist have scoured the desert looking for evidence of this and they found NOTHING. They have found the campsites of Neanderthal tribes; know what they ate, their tools, their bones…even their fossilized shit, but nothing to back up one bible story.”

He nodded in agreement.

I have known this man since I was six years old, we attended CCD together all through grammar school, 1st communion together, confirmation together…ect. If anyone else but me tried to hand him the Hitchens book he would have turned his back on them.
    He’s a smart guy and WILL follow up on what I said…we will have another soon, and since he is the type of guy who likes to spread his knowledge, (Especially on religious subjects) we will have his children, his catholic siblings and their children, as he is the patriarch of his large catholic family.

You may hold your applauds…in the immortal words of Elvis; “Thank you, thank you very much”. As Marky Mark takes a bow

8. Marky Mark says:

…and that’s how it is done EJ, knowledge!

9. dennis says:

you go Marky Mark. I hope some one finds my fossilized shit.

He convinces 200 guys to have their balls cut off so they can meet god. The obvious question is ‘What about his balls?’ Surely if this guarantees an audience with the big guy, it makes sense for him to show the way by example?

11. EJ says:

@Marky Mark
    It takes more than knowledge, but then I am one of those nitpicky pretentious wallahs who have a lifelong compulsion to correct others and educate them as I can.

Know-it-alls are never welcome to discussions where everyone just wants to talk without listening, and, as we kill conversations, derail threads, and generally get kicked out the door, those of us who smoke get to have a cigarette.
    *puff*

12. EJ says:

@Marky Mark
    Sorry if that seemed dismissive. I re-read it and thought that might have come across that way.
    I know how it is to not be able to help, to not have a ton of feasible ideas, to see and hear screams for help and be totally helpless.
    I do appreciate the thought but….

… when you speak of your friends and suggest something that shows you think I have the ability to find help or have some sort of normal relationship with anyone, you would be, sadly, very very wrong.

Oh, look! Someone is wrong on the internet!
    “ha ha,” said the troll sadly, “I guess I win again.”
    The fun never stops.

13. EJ says:

So who the hell would want to bullshit people like this ‘guru’ does?

He is just another psycho and religion is his weapon of choice to commit horrors upon other delusional people.

This has been the norm throughout recorded history.

Should I call for action? Rule of law? Violence?

Some cult leader commits the crime of fraud and horror upon his victims. Nothing new here, not even the lack of anyone stopping this guy and others like him.

Same horror, different day.

14. EJ says:

Same troll, same sort of derailment.

Isn’t this fun? No. You can tell I am not enjoying what I am doing here, right?

15. EJ says:

It doesn’t matter. Shut up.

16. Marky Mark says:

“when you speak of your friends and suggest something that shows you think I have the ability to find help or have some sort of normal relationship with anyone, you would be, sadly, very very wrong.”

OK…so this is beyond religious verses atheist/anti-theist/agnostic…have you considered the term antisocial ?

And I’m not trying to be derogatory…just concerned

17. sailor1031 says:

I’m with L.Long; in what sense are any of these 400 morons “victims” – except of their own stupidity?
    I can just hear the parents now: “….and if some ‘guru’ told you to cut off your testicles you’d do that too, I suppose”. Don’t people have mothers anymore?

18. sailor1031 says:

In fact how is this different from ritual circumcision?

19. Rob Andrews says:

The article didn’t mention how many people refused to cut their balls off. Only the ones that folowed his command. Let’s hope there was a few thousand at least that didn’t.

That would make me feel better about this whole thing.After this I need some good jokes

“Atheism is a non-prophet religion”

20. tonye says:

@Marky Mark,

Well done, but remember you are going against decades of indoctrination .

I hope one day to have a similar story, if I could ever get people I know
    to drop their invisible friends.

21. Rob Andrews says:

@Sailor 1031
    monday 2 March at 12:10 pm
    In fact how is this different from ritual circumcision?

No difference in kind only in degree. And more painfull.

22. Peter Sykes says:

OT: but anyone know what has happened to the http://www.atheistmemebase.com web site?

23. EJ says:

@Marky Mark
    Yes, I haz bin schooled.
    “Anti-social” is not the correct term, but I agree with what you are getting at.
    The correct term is “asocial” as I do not hate people.

As I said to Mephisto, your concern is your own.

I do not really want concern when logical, rational analysis is always to be preferred over emotional reaction despite my using emotionally charged concepts and phrasing in agitating for real progress for humanity.

Now you can stop. I have made progress on my own, as you might expect. Each day brings more analysis and this is a good thing. What I wrote still stands, but I do not often remain stuck where I was in my thinking, so please just enjoy what I wrote and move on. Thanks.

24. Cali Ron says:

@Vanity Unfair:
    The connection is a disconnection…of a penis. Hard to perpetuate a cult when the males are all impotent. This proves again that some people will believe anything, no matter how ridiculous. “None are so blind as those who WILL NOT see”.

25. John says:

This is an example of un-natural selection at work.
    Mind you, it still works……….

26. Jaime Macedo says:

More like the Lady Gaga she did not castrate their followers!

27. Paulo Silva says:

One thing I learned from my grandfather, he said:
    Watch my grandson with these things, do not believe everything that speak to you no matter who, remember a good, nobody talks escapes, and more so, every second born a sucker, the devil has several faces and uses of all to lead people astray!