Spare a dollar or two for Russell Wolfe

Spare a dollar or two for Russell Wolfe

Wolfe, one of the producers responsible for God’s Not Dead – rated here as the worst film of 2014 – is appealing for financial assistance as he battles against a crippling degenerative disease.

Using a series of placards, Wolfe, one of the founding partners of Pure Flix Entertainment – the Christian media company that made God’s Not Dead which grossed $62 million – tells of his belief in miracles in this video, and beseeches the public to pray for him … and send him money.

A while back he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a terminal neuro-degenerative condition that has impeded his fine motor skills and has taken away most of his ability to speak.

Wolfe, who also had a small role in the movie, is seen sitting in a chair and holding a series of signs that carry texts of his message. As music plays, someone is seen helping by lifting each card to reveal what the filmmaker wants to say next.

Wolfe said:

One thing I have not lost is my faith. It’s stronger than ever before. I believe in miracles. I believe for complete healing. I believe in the power of prayer. I believe that God’s not dead.

He added:

Until my complete healing manifests, I need your help to stay alive.

A fundraising page setup to help Wolfe and his family raise $500,000 to battle to disease notes that  they have already faced more than $390,000 in expenses and that the sum is growing daily.

The fundraiser reads, in part:

What is not clearly seen are the personal financial costs that have burdened the Wolfe’s and all ALS families – costs that include the inability to earn income now and in years to come, and the costs of daily expenses such as skilled in-home therapy, nursing care, treatments, medicines, and medical supply costs.

So far, $104,000 has been raised to help Wolfe and his family.

“Cultof Dusty” reacted in a deeply cynical manner to Wolfe’s appeal (warning: this video contains views that some may find gratuitously callous but he does make some very valid points, not least being the amount of dosh grossed by his dismal movie which only cost $2 million to make).

27 responses to “Spare a dollar or two for Russell Wolfe”

1. Jobrag says:

If he believes in miricles he shouldn’t need donations to support his lifestyle.

2. CharlyO says:

LOL

3. RussellW says:

Pious Christians, who believe in miracles, really shouldn’t send any money,so,is he actually asking atheists for donations?

Russell Wolfe is stricken with a hellish disease and it would be easy to take some cheap shots at this pious Christian. However, his troubles do invite legitimate questions about the nature and reality of what Christians believe. What I wonder is: how sustaining is his faith in his plight? Does he consider the nature of a supposed loving God who visits this hell on people and, in this case, on one of his fervent disciples?

Is his plea for financial help an admission that his God just isn’t powerful enough and that cash is needed to buy help from fallible doctors? Some of them atheists. Would the same condition afflicting an atheist, particularly a famous one, be seen by devout Christians as a punishment by God.

If a cure – a miracle – does not appear what does this say about the existence of God? I suspect that in these straits Mr Wolfe’s faith is far from secure. As an atheist, as far as I can imagine suffering from such a terrible disease, I would want recourse to assisted dying. The very thing the devout Christian is denied as it is a sin and life is in the gift of God. Not much of a gift when it comes to this.

I haven’t seen the video yet.

This begging online is utterly demeaning. It is, as Broga has said, a hellish disease and those diagnosed with it should be cared for by a compassionate health system not left to beg on the streets of the Internet. Maybe he should also ask himself why his god allows this disgusting disease to afflict people in the first place? Indeed, why does his loving christian god afflicts anyone with any disease? For an atheist like myself the answer is easy – because there is no such thing as god, but there is the existence of natural selection. I don’t wish this guy any further suffering but I will not be sending him any money.

Answers in Genesis panned the film because it is “unbiblical”. These people are, paradoxically, beyond belief!

As with lots of movies, an astute and mature Christian can use this film as a teaching opportunity by opening up the pages of Scripture with those who have seen it to explain the real origin of suffering in the world as well as the real hope of salvation by repenting of sin and trusting fully in the Creator God—Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is not dead: He is risen and seated at the right hand of the Father. Let us boldly proclaim that He is the Judge of the living and the dead rather than putting ourselves in His rightful place.

God’s Not Dead = Oddest gonad

Faith strong as ever??? Pray Harder!!!!!!!

ask ANYTHING of the father in my name it shall be granted

PRAY HARDER!!!!!

9. Marky Mark says:

“and has taken away most of his ability to speak.”…good!

So…what happened to the $60 million in profits from his movie? Should be more than enough to cover his medical bills…he should be able to afford one of Steven Hawkins custom wheel chairs that can speak for him.

10. Trevor Blake says:

You know what this atheist would never say? A mean spirited lie like this: “If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee.” – Exodus 15:26. And I wouldn’t tell people not to see a doctor, like this: “And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians.” – 2 Chronicles 16:12. Finally, I’d rather say a tearful goodbye than profer an insane false promise like this: “Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up.” – James 5:14-15.

May this man find health and happiness through any means possible. And perhaps reflect on the moral system that has held his attention to this point.

11. Smokey says:

“Spare a dollar or two for Russell Wolfe”

“I believe in miracles. I believe for complete healing. I believe in the power of prayer.”

I’m not giving him a single cent. I’ll never support anyone who uses that much money and energy to trick people into believing in lies and falsehoods.

I could “pray” for him, I guess. I “pray” that he keeps his life and completely loses his faith.

“I believe that God’s not dead.”

“God” never existed. If he did, then he gave you that disease. Suck it up, it’s all part of “God’s” plan.

12. Maggie says:

Perhaps he could use the money to travel to Lourdes for a ‘cure’.

13. Me says:

Such fragile faith…..if he really beleives then he should die in eager anticipation of his place in heaven. Actually the risable huckster is shit scared of death.

14. Laura Roberts says:

5,600 new cases are diagnosed in the U.S. every year, or about 15 per day. What makes this guy more deserving than these others?

15. Graham Martin-Royle says:

If he’s really that fervent a christian why is he trying to go against his gods plan that he dies and why isn’t he enthusiastic about getting to be with his god?

I agree with others here, though we’ve said it before: why is he “battling” this disease and not accepting it? How arrogant to think that he knows better than God. Is his life more valuable than others’ that it should be preserved, or does he disagree with his god’s judgment that his “earthly work” is all but over? Maybe “God” has things to teach him and others through this illness. When I was young I knew an elderly Christian who continually boasted about the fact that umpteen tablets per day were keeping him alive, yet his favourite hymn (and he was a “soloist” with a quite acceptable voice) was: “Hark! Hark! Hear the glad tidings, Soon, soon, Jesus will come”, and I always thought it strange that he was so keen to “meet the Lord” – but not just yet!

@Me: “Actually the risable huckster is shit scared of death.”

That is my view. I have often discussed death with Christians, some in my extended family, and the terror of death is there. They don’t know the precise rules to get them into heaven and they fear that nothing they do on earth could justify an eternity of bliss. The unconvincing cop out on that is the entry card if you believe in Jesus.

18. Rob Andrews says:

A lot of good posts about his dying and the reasons for faith being stupid in light of disease. I’ve had discussions with xtians about this and the abswer after he dies will be always the same. “god works in mysterious ways”. Or “god called him to heaven”
    The thing i can’t understand did he have to call him to heaven with such a SLOW and PAINFULL way.

19. Marky Mark says:

“OFF TOPIC” CNN is having a program on atheism called”Atheists: Inside the World of Non-Believers” It wil air on 24 March 2015, at 9:pm eastern time ,US.”

…sounds interesting, I don’t have CNN so I’ll have to wait till someone uploads it to youtube.

20. Marky Mark says:

(My atheist mother died calmly and in full acceptance of her terminal illness and her concerns were of the effect on her family. She asked me to promise “Not to be too upset and not for very long.”)

…I myself nearly died about a year and a half ago, was listed as “critical”. I knew i was close to death and it really did not phase me all that much…I have lived a full and exciting life.
    I also was careful as to who i let know about my condition as the last thing I needed was certain friends and family crying and praying at my bedside…would have really put a damper on the morphine buzz i was on.

21. dennis says:

Barry John can we send him all these posts. Please. now some one take away his magic marker. sorry you are sick man but your god is calling you home. go quietly with peace.

22. carlynot says:

Maybe if he prays hard enough to his benevolent and loving god who gave him this disease….

23. Atabale says:

Shame. Methinks he is going to die – sorry.

24. JohnMWhite says:

Many have already pointed out the logical and moral issues with Wolfe continuing to shill for his faith, but I’d just like to also raise the point that, assuming he does vote, we can be pretty sure who he votes for and it isn’t the party that tried to give more people affordable health care. The Christian right is in a hateful lockstep that does this to themselves.

I hope he does better and I hope nobody has to suffer due to his medical bills, but these folk have fought tooth and nail to make this situation play out for millions, especially women, homosexuals and ethnic minorities, and they’ve swore piety the entire time.

25. Har Davids says:

Here we have one the anointed, who almost claimed to be on the right side of his god, a deity who struck him with a debilitating disease and praying is not enough, his family needs the dough!

I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. Exodus 20:5 , Deuteronomy 5:9

He must have pissed off the sky-fairy big time, maybe by being a cunt, excuse my language.

Atabale: We’re ALL going to die. That’s the fact of life that the religious just can’t cope with.