House of Lords to get first woman bishop

House of Lords to get first woman bishop

Ecstatic over the fact that The Venerable Rachel Treweek, above, will be ‘the first woman bishop to sit with the 26 diocesans in the House of Lords’, Christian Today says that her voice will now be given ‘additional significance’ and that she will be ‘a woman to watch as well as listen to on the part of both secular and religious leaders’.

So what pearls of wisdom are we to expect from the current Archdeacon of Hackney who is to be the next Bishop of Gloucester?

Precious few, if this is the way her mind works:

I do not start from a place of a failing institution.

Oh yes you do, Your Venerableness. Your Church’s goose is truly cooked.

Dr Linda Woodhead, Professor of Sociology of Religion at Lancaster University, concluded a lengthy piece in the Church Times last January by saying:

The recent rapid decline in Anglican baptisms, weddings, and, increasingly, funerals, is particularly serious, since this is the Church’s core business, and of enormous importance to what has traditionally been a Church for the whole of society rather than just for the most committed churchgoers.

The Church’s greatest failure in our lifetime has been its refusal to take decline seriously. The situation is now so grave that it is no longer enough simply to focus on making parts grow again. The whole structure needs to be reviewed from top to toe, and creative and courageous decisions need to be made.

But Treweek persists in oozing optimism. In an interview with Christian Today, she declared:

For me it is not about starting from a place of fear and anxiety, but starting in a place of hope and confidence. I do feel hugely excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. The Church is in a very exciting time.

This, despite Woodhead having pointed out that:

Attitudes towards the Church of England are not encouraging. When asked if they view the Church as a positive force in society, only 18 percent say ‘Yes, and only 14 per cent say ‘No’. The majority (58 percent) say ‘Neither’, and the rest ‘Don’t know’. In other words, most people are ignorant of, or indifferent to, the Church rather than hostile.

As for the reasons for disapproval, older people are most likely to say that the Church is ‘boring and stuffy’, but younger people now state a strong moral objection: ‘The Church is prejudiced – it discriminates against women and gay people’.

12 responses to “House of Lords to get first woman bishop”

I’ve been watching some of J. John’s “Facing the Canon” interviews on CBN recently, and they’re all like this. The church is becoming an increasing irrelevance in people’s lives, yet they bubble over with enthusiasm about the “exciting things” that God is doing, and especially the fact that young people are supposedly “seeking the truth” in their droves. They inhabit a closeted world of happy, clappy optimists who are out of touch with reality and totally deluded. Here he is with Justin Welby:

“We need to hear more of the good stories, because people are not aware of the good that the church is doing”!

Erratum: I meant TBN UK, of course!

Talk of the devil; I’ve just seen Justin Welby on the News, chucking dirt about and spouting mumbo-jumbo at that Richard the Turd pantomime in Leicester Cathedral. “From the earth you formed me; with flesh you clothed me; now please make sure that I go to heaven despite the fact that I was a murdering bastard.” They’re ecstatic over all this extra free publicity, yet as one woman who was interviewed said: “It’s bonkers really, isn’t it?”

WHY??? Since when has religion had anything to say about anything that was worthwhile?????

5. Robster says:

Doesn’t that nasty old Babble say the ladies are to keep quiet in church? They’re not to teach or lead either. You’d think this female bish person would at least read the supposed godly guide book to see if she’s doing what she’s supposed to do as determined by the bronze age goat herders that made the nonsense up in the first place. The nice colourful scarfe thingy makes her look a bit less loopy than the regular silly hat stuff, it’s still putting lipstick on a pig.

6. Maggie says:

Another reminder that the House of Lords needs to be fully elected.

7. Newspaniard says:

From the moment the first woman bishop was ordained, I knew that she would automatically jump the queue to get in the Lords. What about all those blokes senior to her who have been waiting decades? No, the “enlightened” church, HAS to show how liberal it really is and promote their woman regardless of her ability.

(Sexist of the week)

Newspaniard: The law was changed last year to ensure that this momentous event occurred. God’s ways are, indeed, above our ways, and his thoughts past finding out!

Legislation to fast-track women bishops into the House of Lords was introduced to Parliament in December.

The bill suspended rules governing appointments of bishops to the Lords for 10 years to allow future female bishops to leap-frog their male colleagues into the upper house.

Before that, the rules stipulated that, apart from the five who sat ex officio, the others should sit in the Lords in order of appointment.

Leapfrogging bishops – Gor Blimey!

Newspaniard, I agree. Tokenism is demeaning and very popular with the far left objective of social engineering whereby race, sex or religious affiliation is more important than ability, People should be judged on their ability and suitability to do a job, not according to political dogma. I’m now self-employed but when I worked for a large company I gained a senior position by fighting sexism, hard work and most important, my technical/scientific ability. If I thought I was promoted just because of my sex, I’d have been most insulted.

10. bozel says:

‘House of Lords to get first woman bishop’

Just the sort of reform the House of Lords was crying out for!

‘House of Lords to get first woman bishop’ –

Notice the word ‘gets’ – she/he is appointed by the current PM (?) – who the fuck decides to ‘appoint’ bishops???? They are UNELECTED loones who have the ability to block and delay laws. This is a sham democracy when such as bishops can be placed in positions of political power without being chosen by the voting public. I want to see bishops on the hustings fighting and arguing for every single vote – that’s democracy, not this charade.

12. edwords says:

Hello from the USA, where this ad is ‘shaking things up’.

Google “Ron Reagan ad”.