Anti-gay Indiana outlet forced to close

Anti-gay Indiana outlet forced to close

Crystal O’Connor, above, is fast becoming a poster girl for the religious right in America following news that her family has had to shut their Indiana pizza parlour which won’t do the catering for gay weddings.

Memories Pizza in Walkerton – the first Indiana business to declare it would refuse LGBT business – was forced to close after it got blasted on the Internet and by phone. An attack on the the company’s listing in the business directory Yelp was particularly amusing. Some wag posted the image below on Yelp:

o

The onslaught came after Crystal’s dad, Kevin O’Connor, praised Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and said:

That lifestyle is something they choose. I choose to be heterosexual. They choose to be homosexual. Why should I be beat over the head to go along with something they choose?

Crystal said she didn’t think that the Act was “targeting gays,” adding.

It’s supposed to help people that have a religious belief.

Kevin O’Connor later added that although he doesn’t “have a problem with gay people,” he does not condone same-sex marriage. Although he wouldn’t cater to a same-sex wedding, he wouldn’t turn anyone away from the shop itself.
He bizarrely added:

I mean, we don’t believe in murder. I also don’t believe in abortion.

He says the threats have been serious enough to force him to close the business … at least until the dust settles.

That decision immediately prompted someone called Lawrence Billy Jones III  to set up an online appeal for funds for the O’Connors:

To relieve the financial loss endured by the proprietors’ stand for faith.

At the time of posting sympathisers had pledged over $62,000 in 12 hours, a sure indication that what Christian bigots lack in tolerance and common decency they sure make up for in cash. Their response to the funding campaign also supports a study that shows that religious people are less intelligent than atheists. (This is certainly borne out by British PM David Cameron’s Easter address to Christians).

One of the best comments the GoFundMe site was from Jenn Mills:

Ha what a joke. They are using God as a publicity stunt to get ‘Christians’ to donate money. Shameful. PS, what gay person (or straight person) would EVER have pizza catered at a wedding?? They have MUCH more class than that. lol Maybe that’s how they do things in Indiana, lol but gay people certainly have more class than that. PS, Using God to get money= Sinful.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn (Cameron report)

18 responses to “Anti-gay Indiana outlet forced to close”

1. Albert Lewis says:

With the GoFundMe.com money coming in, I suspect the owners aren’t going to need to make and sell pizza to anyone.

2. John says:

Seems like a very sensible strategy for getting out of the pizza business while exploiting a whole crowd of gullible donating individuals.
    From now on, it’s the cushy life for the O’Connor family……..
    After all, what’s a good Irish family doing flogging Italian pizzas?
    It could never have lasted.

Interesting that Kevin O’Connor “chose” to be heterosexual.Does that mean that he flirted with other sexualities when he was younger? I think we should be told!

I hope that readers will scroll down the Premier Christianity report to read the absolute, sheer bollocks being spouted by those well-known comedians Ed and Clegg as well. Cleggie has the audacity to say that he’s “not the atheist many assume him to be” (what a surprise!), and that he’s never “had that much time for what I call ‘vociferous secularism’”. You could be excused for thinking that there was an election in the offing!

5. Cali Ron says:

And another evangelical missionary has been born. Forget pizza, there’s more money in religious psuedo-martyrdom (I’m being persecuted for my intolerance). Next gig, “christian persecution” expert for Fox news.

6. Har Davids says:

Time to get into the business of being a persecuted Christian as soon as possible. Lining my atheist pocket at the expense of homophobic bigots seems like a win-win deal to me. Hurry all, time is money!

‘Interesting that Kevin O’Connor “chose” to be heterosexual.’

Yeah, I wondered about that one too, barriejohn. You can only imagine that at some point during his transition into adulthood he sat down, drew up a list of the pros and cons of being both heterosexual and gay, and came to the decision he did. What a tosser!

8. Cali Ron says:

He seems to have bought into the religious argument that sexual orientation is a choice, not a biological fact to justify their attempts to “turn gays straight” and provide cover for the fact that their god, if he actually existed created gay people and according to their bible he love’s them. Hard to square that one with their hatred of LBGT people and constant campaigning against their civil rights.

@barriejohn: That grovelling for the religious vote from Clegg should only be read by people with a strong stomach. The man is clearly desperate to keep his snout in the tax funded political trough. I hope he gets the boot out of his constituency at the election.

10. Rob Andrews says:

There are two problems with sexual orientation being a choice. They are:

1) Being present in the animal kingdom hardly mean sit’s a choice. I don’t see animals as low as reptiles making a choice.
    2) I’m bisexual so the choice never occured to me at all. I see all goodlooking bodies as attractive–no choice ever!

11. Barry Duke says:

Oh my, Pat Robertson has waded in: ““Pizzas? I think, you know, you might as well keep your mouth shut. I’m not sure I would serve pizza for a gay wedding. Most gays, if they’re having a wedding, don’t want pizzas – they want cake. It’s the cake makers that are having the problem.”

@Barry Duke

That entire outburst of Pat Robinson’s is so laughably, unbelievably dumb he has clearly outdone even himself in the stoopid stakes. I mean, how can any sane person say:
    ‘It doesn’t matter what custom you’ve got, it doesn’t matter what holy thing that you worship and adore, the gays are going to get it. They’re going to make you conform to them. You’re going to say you like anal sex, you like oral sex, you like bestiality, you like anything you can think of — whatever it is, and sooner or later you’re going to have to conform your religious beliefs the group of some abhorrent thing. It won’t stop at homosexuality.’

Oral sex and bestiality? FFS, since when were they the exclusive domain of gay people? (Although the latter definitely isn’t on the menu in this heterosexual household!)

Don’t know why, but that whole imagined ‘body sex crimes’ thing which clearly keeps Pat awake at night reminded me of this. So I thought, why not share? Made me laugh out loud, anyway.

I call BS on this story. The owners are taken advantage of the situation to convince sheeple to help them close the business.
    Internet says they are bigots! Ya? So what????
    Phone calls? Ya! HangUp!!!!
    Are you selling GOOD pizzas?? Probably not and you want to shut down.
    Well?! if you can get the sheeple to help you shut down a failed business, good for you!!! You aren’t the 1st con men to use them.

Sarah Millican’s a legend.

Great comment that I’ve just seen on another site:

I like the verse in the Bible where it says “You will go to Hell for baking cakes for Gay People”… probably my favorite….

Just look at the people who were celebrating Pat Robertson’s 85th birthday recently. Are they all nuts?

Yee-hah! Hold your horses! We’ve got it all wrong:

Indiana’s legislature has passed a bill that would change the state’s controversial religious freedom law to clarify that it does not authorize businesses to discriminate against people…

“We can unequivocally say that RFRA cannot be used to discriminate against anyone,” said house speaker Brian Bosma, a Republican…

“What was intended as a message of inclusion, inclusion of all religious beliefs, was interpreted as a message of exclusion, especially of the LGBT community,” said Bosma. “Nothing could’ve been further from the truth, but it was clear the perception had to be addressed.”

Better open that shop again!

16. gedediah says:

What if it is a choice for some people? Still nothing wrong with it.

17. Trevor Blake says:

Between a Christian who would prefer to decline to do business with some people on one hand, and anyone (atheist or etc.) who threatens said Christian with arson and death on the other hand, I side with freedom of association and against murder. Wrong ideas should be fought with better ideas.

18. […] far will still be made available for withdrawal. While a different campaign was recently permitted for a pizzeria in Indiana, no laws were violated and the campaign remained live. However, the subjects of the ‘Support […]