Hateful Catholic teacher is reinstated

Hateful Catholic teacher is reinstated

Patricia Jannuzzi, 33, above, the Catholic high school teacher from New Jersey who was suspended last month for her anti-gay Facebook rants, had been reinstated with immediate effect.

Jannuzzi, a theology teacher at Immaculata High School in Sommerville, NJ, was forced to deactivate her Facebook page after several alumni started circulating screen shots of her sharply worded posts against gay marriage and gay rights. Two days later, the school placed her on administrative leave.

News of the Jannuzzi’s reinstatement was conveyed in a letter to students and parents written by principal Jean Kline. It quoted school director Msgr Seamus Brennan as saying:

Immaculata High School has reached an understanding with Mrs Patricia Jannuzzi. It is the School’s position that a Catholic school teacher must always communicate the faith in a way that is positive and never hurtful. Tone and choice of words matter and I trust Mrs. Jannuzzi’s stated promise to strive always to teach in a spirit of truth and charity.

The letter goes on to say that teachers have been told that if the issue comes up in the classroom, students will be told “this was a personnel issue and not one about theology” and there should be no further discussion about it. Kline encouraged parents to tell students the same thing if the issue comes up at home.

The announcement puts an end to weeks of negotiations between lawyers representing the Diocese of Metuchen, the entity that oversees Immaculata, and Jannuzzi’s attorney, David Oakley, who said:

I am delighted with the understanding we reached with the school and I admire them for making a careful decision – and I couldn’t be happier.

Jannuzzi was ordered by the school on March 11 to deactivate her Facebook page after alumnus began spreading word of an online petition demanding the school acknowledge her outspoken comments on gay marriage and gay rights.

In one post, Jannuzzi had said she’d love to move to Nebraska, responding to a news story about efforts to fight against same-sex marriage there, asking:

Why can’t the rest of the US be like this?? Why the insanity?

She also suggested in another post that gay activists want to cause the “extinction” of Western civilisation.

9 responses to “Hateful Catholic teacher is reinstated”

1. dennis says:

and these people are in charge of educating our youth. better a low scoring public school than a dimwitted virus inoculator.

2. Cali Ron says:

Why can’t the rest of the US be like this?? Why the insanity? Yes, why is she so insane. Having a hard time understanding how the followers of christ who preached love and kindness to all jives with the virulent hatred for gays. Another reason to not use religious schools.

3. Newspaniard says:

I semi-approve, after all, like me, she was only expressing her opinion. (The bitch)

4. Vanity Unfair says:

“Jannuzzi was ordered by the school on March 11 to deactivate her Facebook page…”
    Is that possible? I have nothing to do with Facebook (work of the Devil and all that…) but people who do have told me that closing a “page” is very difficult, if not impossible because it just sort of hangs about with all sorts of embarrassing details.
    Does anybody here know?

She is a raving bigot like so many religious people. I have no problem with her, the schools hypocrites are awful…..gay is a personal thing and not theology!!???!! WTF is that!!! Of course it is about theology you dimwit!!! That’s what is called being a hidden bigot. I like my bigots upfront like her. That way I know who is a hate filled Ahole to ridicule.

6. Dale says:

Unfair – yes, you can delete Facebook if you choose to do so. I did it myself. The only thing is it’ll take a couple of weeks for it to actually happen – I’m assuming they hope you’ll change your mind (?)

7. Cali Ron says:

To bad Jannuzzi can’t “deactivate” her hatred and intolerance of gays. I guess I won’t bother to “deactivate” my contempt and disdain for her and her beliefs. Someone should create a social networking site called “Assbook” for assholes like her instead of Facebook. Sorry Vanity Unfair-I’m Facebook illiterate.

8. Robster says:

A whirling dervish of hate. A shining example of Christian love. The two seem to compliment each other.

9. Marky Mark says:

what this article has left out is the teachers union…they are very powerful and no doubt had something to do with her being reinstated. Because what she did and said actually has no bearing on her union job.
    To fight people like her one only has to NOT enroll their children into the school she teaches at…enough failed enrollments and the school will find a way to get rid of her, within the union rules.