American military is ‘hostile’ to Christians

American military is ‘hostile’ to Christians

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee yesterday accused the Obama administration of having ‘an open hostility toward the Christian faith’ – and urged prospective military recruits not to enlist until America had a more godly leader.

In an interview with Iowa talk radio host Jan Mickelson, Huckabee addressed a recent Washington Times report which suggested that Christians are being discouraged from joining the military because of a “hostile work environment”.

Huckabee agreed, describing the alleged persecution of Christians in the military as:

One of the great tragedies of our time. This administration has had an open hostility toward the Christian faith … I know that sounds like a bold statement, Jan, but when you have a president whose administration orders its chaplains to put its Bibles away, not to pray in Jesus name, not to counsel people on the issues of sexual morality; when you have this attitude that is more about promoting gay marriage and gay rights in the military than it is about being able to protect religious liberty for those people of faith, it’s going to be hard to find people that are truly devoted people of faith and Christian believers and Orthodox Jews and others.

And he asked:

Why would they want to be in a military that would be openly hostile and not just simply bring some scorn to their faith, but would punish them for it?

This led Mickelson to ask Huckabee what he would tell parents whose children are considering joining the armed forces. He replied:

There’s nothing more honorable than serving one’s country and there’s no greater heroes to our country than our military, but I might suggest to parents, I’d wait a couple of years until we get a new commander-in-chief that will once again believe ‘one nation under god’ and believe that people of faith should be a vital part of the process of not only governing this country, but defending this country.

19 responses to “American military is ‘hostile’ to Christians”

1. Old Nick says:

Yet another ‘persecuted Christian’ who thinks that belief in mediaeval superstition should give exemption from the law.

The American military has got it easy. Frankie is currently fighting the devil and has summoned his priests to Rome. Now that is an enemy with real “fire” power.

3. Brummie says:

“One nation under god”.
    Exactly the slogan that spawned Islamic State.

4. Caute says:

A great man, now lamentably dead, said religion poisons everything. Just look around to se how right he was.

5. Brummie says:

@ Caute.
    The late great Christopher Hitchens. Should be the admired face on British banknotes.

6. Brummie says:

Along with Alan Turing and Tommy Flowers

7. Cali Ron says:

“One nation under god” was only added to the dollar bill and the pledge of allegiance (why anyone would blindly pledge allegiance to our elected officials while sober I can’t image) in the 50’s. America was created as a secular government, but christians keep trying to rewrite history and claim we have always been a christian nation, implying today’s christianity. Most of the founding fathers were deists who would probably think today’s evangelicals are crazy and would lament how religion had corrupted the secular system they created. Huckabee is anti abortion, anti gay marriage, anti healthcare, anti evolution (anti science), anti gun control and anti immigration. Can’t you just feel the christian love. And his christian rock band sucks, too!

8. Cali Ron says:

I’ve made 2 posts today on this site and they both disappeared when I submitted them. Testing 1, 2, 3….

Mr. Huckabee should go and read some history books and ask himself ‘How many people had died over the last 2000 years fighting for their ‘faith’?’ Protestants slaughtering catholics and vice versa, hindus v. muslims, christians v, muslims. and all vice versa. And Mr. Fuckabee wants to give a nuclear super power into the hands of a man of ‘faith’? He wants more of the same and cannot see that Obama is at least trying a different approach.

10. Maggie says:

“…I’d wait a couple of years until we get a new commander-in-chief that will once again believe ‘one nation under god’ and believe that people of faith should be a vital part of the process of not only governing this country, but defending this country.”

If he feels Christians are persecuted now, what will he feel when there is a Muslim president in the White House? If US voters are as PC and sacred of being labelled ‘racist’ as they are in the UK, it will happen soon than later. The reality is that religions do not tolerant each other, and people expect their president to have the same god as them. The only way is a secular president for all religions to unite in hatred against (kidding, a Muslim president will be elected long before an atheist one ever is).

11. Ray Gun says:

Did you know that SETI have just discovered alien intelligence. The signals were picked up not from a planet but from a space craft that was heading for earth but which then did a very quick u turn when those on board intercepted and decoded recent newscast video from Earth. The aliens were so shit scared they decided to go back home. Their spokesman said … “We don’t want any of that religious shite thank you ..we will come back when you have gotten rid of that.”

12. Help! We’re being oppressed! We’re not allowed to persecute people we hate!

Since when was the military not a “hostile work environment”? It’s where they teach people how to wage war and kill each other, FFS.

People like Hucky are a fear not because of what he says but because if he says something you know there are thousands listening to him and bobbing their heads in agreement. They are the really stupid ones and the danger. One vote means nothing but thousands of like votes means terror is possible.

15. gedediah says:

Aww, xtians in the US military aren’t allowed to force others to take part in their rituals anymore. That’s so unfair.

16. carlynot says:

What better soldier can you have than one who is used to following idiotic orders without question. The armed forces should be all thiest. An added bonus is that in case of a war……

17. Cali Ron says:

So the condensed version of the article would be it’s a great honor to serve your country in the military (always an honor to die , never mind wondering why were in whatever particular war it happens to be), but don’t because I don’t like Obama because he’s not christian enough (implying he’s a muslim). And if you are not condemning LBGT people then you are promoting gay marriage.

Huckabraindead is a doubly deluded individual since he’s drunk on both the republican and the christian koolaid.

Oh, btw how can one nation be under something that doesn’t exist, except in deluded people’s minds.

18. Vanity Unfair says:

This came up some few months ago,
    If you join the US military you swear an oath of allegiance.
    Even if you affirm, the form of words includes a request for divine aid.
    The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

The Oath of Office (for officers):

“I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance tot he same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.”

So, against whom is the discrimination?

19. dennis says:

When I joined the MARINES we had to take one step forward which was our individual act of this commitment not just saying these words. there was a statement for those of us who were atheist or non- xtian could us that replaced the “so help me god” crap for which after these many years I do not remember but was glad it was there for me. But when the navy idiot ask me my religion for my dog tags and I said atheist he scawed back I don’t have that how about no preference and I said but he said NEXT. I thought I could have spelled it for him.