Greens and Labour are the most godless

Greens and Labour are the most godless

Only 37 percent of  parliamentary candidates contesting marginal seats in the coming UK General Election believe in a deity, according to a recent survey by  political communications specialist the Whitehouse Consultancy.

The survey found that a third (33.78) of the 225 candidates polled claiming to be atheists.

More than four in ten candidates (42 percent) claimed to have no religious denomination.

The Green Party (49 percent), followed by Labour (48 percent) was found to have the highest percentages of atheist candidates.

The Conservatives have the highest percentage of Church of England candidates (41 percent).

The findings follow a recent Win/Gallup poll that found that only 30 percent of Britons claimed to be religious.

The Whitehouse Consultancy warned the findings suggest a lack of diversity and that more needs to be done to encourage people of different backgrounds to participate in party politics. Chris Whitehouse, Chairman of the consultancy, said:

This survey suggests that the diversity in our society is yet to be reflected in parliamentary politics. I don’t think this is only a question of how candidates are selected. It is also one of how we can encourage more people with a range of beliefs and backgrounds to get involved and be active in politics.

Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, noted that:

There is only an issue with politicians’ religious beliefs if they try to force their religious views on to others. The last parliament has seen some politicians using their positions to evangelise, which is wholly inappropriate – particularly given how irreligious society is today.

maxresdefault

Meanwhile, it is reported here that a Muslim Tory candidate – Gulzabeen Afsar, above – has apologised for saying she could never support “the Jew” Ed Miliband, the Labour leader who is in fact an atheist.

Afsar, who is a council candidate in the ward of Littleover in Derby, made the comment on Facebook. She initially posted:

Just can’t take Mr Ed Miliband seriously!! DC has what it takes to be the future PM.

When someone replied that she should show respect for Miliband because he was the “future PM”, she wrote:

Nah bro! never ever will I drop that low and support the al yahud lol.

Al Yahud is Arabic for “the Jew”.

A Conservative spokesman said:

Her comment was offensive and wrong. She has removed it and apologised.

12 responses to “Greens and Labour are the most godless”

1. Marky Mark says:

(Given recent findings on Britain’s religious beliefs, it’s unsurprising that a majority of parliamentary candidates are either non-religious or atheist.)
    …GOOD!
    I believe if one believes in talking snakes and magic fairies they are not qualified to be in politics…or even be a cop. These are jobs where logic is so important for the job and performance.
    The West Memphis Three case is a perfect example… “Sense we christians in law enforcement are the smartest people in the room, and we can’t figure this crime out…it must have been Satan. Lets go after the kids who wear heavy metal T-shirts since we know heavy metal is Satan’s music.”
    As the real murder, a good christian, went on to cause havoc and murder another innocent in the years following the WM3 case.

Has anyone else had a problem with this site over the past week?

2. Stephen Mynett says:

Marky Mark, yes was unable to get on it for several days.

3. Barry Duke says:

Marky Mark, a change of server a while back resulted in a number of problems with the site. We think these have now been ironed out. I suggest that if anyone still experiences trouble, please send the details direct to me: barry@freethinker.co.uk

Despite these figures the BBC still insists on behaving as if the population were overwhelmingly Christian. Their contortions are exposed as those to whom they give the freedom of the air attempt to justify, but mostly ignore, mass deaths as in Nepal.

What the BBC does not do, indeed dare not do, is allow debates between believers and atheists. The preaching, whether in the embarrassing phantasies from the pulpit on Sundays or in the dire Thought for the Day, is protected from challenge.

5. h3r3tic says:

I must disagree Broga; some of the most entertaining takedowns of witless believers are shown on The Big Questions on BBC1 on Sunday mornings. However I concur that Thought for the Day needs sorting out; the idea that only the religious can provide philosophical thoughts for us to apply to everyday events is, quite frankly, fucking ridiculous.

Re the BBC: My mother was watching School Choir of the Year yesterday. I know that I have mentioned this before, but I seem to be the only one who has a problem with the fact that this competition is now run as part of Songs of Praise (it never used to be), and that not only are most of the choirs from church schools, but the music all has to be religious in nature. Add to this the fact that the programmes are hosted by Aled Jones, and the whole thing makes my flesh creep!

PS The BBC runs Songs of Praise Gospel Choir of the Year as a separate competition as well. Gawd help us.

@h3r3tic : I have never seen “The Big Questions” on Sunday mornings. I think I must be missing something. Perhaps I should record it as my TV watching never begins till evening.

@barriejohn: My life is such that I miss all these treats. The few times I have glimpsed Aled Jones does not encourage me to extend the experience. He seems to me to have the gift, desirable while being viewed by Christians, of being appearing humble and modest while being wrapped up in delight with himself.

8. Caute says:

Broga….check out The Big Question on YouTube. Its a showcase of religious loons and lunacy.

9. Trevor Blake says:

Diversity is curiously supposed to accurately reflect the existing population and recalibrate the existing population, depending on the goals of the diversity specialists. Diversity also curiously applies to invidivuals and to groups depending on the goal of the diversity specialists. There are clear good intentions in there and some measurable good outcomes. But as a whole “diversity” is whatever the diversity specialist wants it to mean to achieve their goal. If their goal is noble, so be it. If their goal is a shakedown to invert rather than dilute a caste system, I will point and laugh as much at them as I do religious shakedown artists.

@Caute: You have made me a suggestion I cannot refuse.

11. Brian Jordan says:

“Religions other than Christianity were found to be poorly represented in the Whitehouse Consultancy survey, with only two percent of candidates claiming to be Jewish, two percent claiming to be Muslim and two percent claiming to be Buddhist.”
    Shurely shome mistake: maybe with 5% of the population Muslims could be said to be under-represented by 60% but by the same reckoning Jews must be over-represented by about 300% and Buddhists by around 400% , not under-represented, as they too each have 2% of the candidates. How many Mormons, Christian Scientists and Scientologists would they like to stand? There’s also the question of whether children and recent immigrants can be expected to become parliamentary candidates. Are these pollsters expecting every conceivable group of people to have the same number of candidates regardless of the size of their group?.Or are they just preparing the ground for when Christianity, too, is among those low percentages?