‘Little children not too little to go to hell’

‘Little children not too little to go to hell’

C. Matthew McMahon, PhD, ThD, above, is an American Calvinist Reformed theologian – and he has just authored a disgusting, crudely-illustrated book for kids  – The Cage – that warns of the reality of hell.

In this “A Puritan’s [Twisted] Mind” video, the deranged preacher claims that:

Little children are not too little to go to hell.

He adds:

Little children ought to learn all the teachings Jesus taught about in the Bible. 1/6th of everything Jesus taught about was on judgment and hell. That is a huge amount of teaching on the subject! But how do we teach our children such a hard biblical idea appropriately?

In this tastefully illustrated work that is completely in rhyme, the Bible’s teaching about hell is outlined in a very easy to understand manner.

Tastefully illustrated? Seriously?

cage2

He adds:

It is aimed at children 5 to 9 years old, but can certainly be read by any age. It concerns a young boy who we find is trapped in a cage called “Big Sin” and can’t escape on his own. The cage is suspended by a chain that is rusting and could break at any moment.

What will our young friend do? What is he thinking about as he stands there locked away? He sees others in cages as well, some who don’t escape, and some who jump to safety as their prisons doors are opened by a mysterious key. Will our young friend get out? How will he escape THE CAGE?

Heman Mehta, the Friendly Atheist, was as outraged by this foul addition to hellfire “literature” as I was. He describes it as “sick and depraved”.

In a “Note to Parents” in the back of the book, McMahon writes:

Some parents may be thinking that this kind of exhortation to children will give little ones horrible nightmares … It would be better for them to have nightmares now while you teach them about the realities of hell … than to wind up in the reality of the nightmare that is hell. To the Christian parent of young children, I plead with you to… teach your children about hell and the power of God’s wrath. Teach them that Christ is their only hope… Teach them that they are locked in a spiritual cage and that it dangles over the fires of hell.

Hat tip: Angela K

24 responses to “‘Little children not too little to go to hell’”

1. Caute says:

Keep up the good work……more of this will only undermine the credibility of the pious.

2. h3r3tic says:

The first thing I feel compelled to point out is that “woe” is a noun or an interjection, not a verb, and therefore someone cannot “weep and woe”. Given that the author cannot grasp such a basic point of language why should anyone consider him an authority on something as important as the possibility of an existence after death? Apart from that he’s clearly a complete twunt as well.

Calvinism…How to be really psychotic about a religion. They are only one violent step away from isLame.
    ‘Young boy trapped in BIG SIN’ How the hell does a young kid who can barely make a coherent thought get into BIG SIN?? But this is good, as this is what made me an atheist. In seminary we were going over how A&E brought sin into the world and we are all sinners and going to hell. I really thought on this as we were studying it to teach and I realized what a load of BS this was. I was still to young to have done anything BIG SIN but was going to hell!!!! I turned my face to the sky and told the pope to stick his head up gawd’s ass and give jesus a hand job and walked away.
    So as Caute says …KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, help more atheist come out.

4. gedediah says:

I agree, this is just the sort of disgusting disregard for children’s wellbeing that could set questioning Christian parents on the path to atheism. Keep it up!

5. sailor1031 says:

This teaching is quite logical and reasonable when you consider the kind of pitiless, cruel, malevolent trickster doG the devout believe in. Why would anyone expect if to give kids any mercy. It hates the whole human race, kids included.

Let’s just put another spin on this. God is said to love children -“suffer little children to come unto me” or whatever. What will the child loving God’s opinion be of this sadist who conjures up terror in young children? McMahon is a certainty for hell himself.

I remember a celebrity visit from a “missionary from Africa” to our Sunday School when I was seven or so. He went to some lengths to convince us that our hearts were black and only Jesus could redeem us. We didn’t know where our hearts were never mind what colour they were.

Interesting, isn’t it, that these sadistic preachers seem to assume they are headed for heaven. I think their God, if he were to exist, would prefer an honest, thinking atheist to these power hungry preachers.

7. Lurker111 says:

Shouldn’t that be,

“C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D., Pr. Ick.”

?

8. Trevor Blake says:

That story, told for the first time to an adult, would be met with laughter and contempt most of the time. It takes an adult abusing the trust and innocence of a child to make it believed.

9. Angelo Ventura says:

HELL does not exist, but if I were God i’d create one just fo vermins like that preacher

10. dennis says:

Proselytize, Hell Fire and Brimstone as I remember. What days those were my family and friends were using it to get me to do stupid things, from their gods ” put up the science book and read the word of Christ” and now a book of rhyme (woe with me, thanks h3r3tic.) I wish we could force a book of science to be read with these aberrations. yes I understand the slippery slop.

The first thing I feel compelled to point out is that “woe” is a noun or an interjection, not a verb, and therefore someone cannot “weep and woe”. My immediate thought as well.

Given that the author cannot grasp such a basic point of language why should anyone consider him an authority on something as important as the possibility of an existence after death? He’s a Doctor of Theology!

I remember children as young as four or five – mainly the offspring of members – weeping uncontrollably over their guilt and wickedness after Brethren meetings , and begging God to forgive and “save” them. And oh what rejoicing over the wonderful news that one of those little ones had been “gloriously saved” and “given their heart to Jesus”. Most people have no idea of the abuse that the children of evangelicals, and other kids whom they are able to get their hands on, endure on a regular basis. It’s seen as completely “normal”.

This is from that fat fraud, T D Jakes:

Did everyone follow the link to A Puritan’s Mind? There’s a handy little video there explaining how you can teach your children the Doctrine of Justification . Wow – just what everyone is looking for (actually, it’s promoting another of his delightful little children’s books!):

I’ve been lucky while a child. Yes, I was sent to Sunday School and enjoyed the summer picnic and Christmas Party. And I had to go to church (in Scotland) but there was no pressure to believe. By the time I was in my teens I was an atheist as was my mother which may have indicated why I was never under any pressure from religion.

Reading of the experiences of others I now know how lucky I was. But McMahon belongs to a special category of vile religious behaviour.

15. Cali Ron says:

As a young member of the Assembly of God church I was hit with the hell and damnation guilt trip at a very young age. Responded to my first altar call at probably 7 or 8 years old. I cried like a fool, filled with fear and confusion, begging god to forgive me even though I had no idea what I needed to be forgiven for. I was drunk on the christian koolaid, but the concept were over my head. I was so indoctrinated I carried a bible to school in 7th and 8th grade, which led to other kids calling me names, laughing, ridiculing and spitting on me (literally). I had been well programmed and put up with the persecution out of some misguided believe I owed it to god for saving me. As a teen I started to question the doctrine and then the bible and christianity. I rebelled and left the church at 18, but was confused and really didn’t know what to believe until later in my adult life. Childhood indoctrination is sick and disgusting, messing up the minds of innocent children to keep the pews full. Didn’t mean to tell my life story, but dredging up these memories still makes me angry. People like McMahon are abusing children children mentally just like pedophiles abuse them sexually.

@Cali Ron: I think you have something to say that needs to be heard. I don’t think I can get my head round what the effect of this kind of indoctrination must be on those who are the victims. I think the child victims of severe indoctrination must grow up in a different world with fears, feelings of surveillance and reverence for a Being they cannot see, feel, hear or perceive.

Those who have been the victims offer a powerful voice that non victims such as myself cannot equal.

17. Cali Ron says:

@Broga; That’s why I call myself and those with similar experiences, like I think barriejohn is, evangelical survivors. Someday I should sit down and write it all out. It would probably be good for my mental health. I thought I was over this, but my response to articles like this one may indicate I haven’t really completely come to terms with it yet.

@h3r3tic
    Spot on! You beat me to it – C. Matthew McMahon’s god did not see fit to bless him with even a basic grasp of the English language. The man is an idiot and should be ignored by one and all.

Cali Ron: I still have a lot of anger. Sites like this are therapeutic, and the idiots who argue that we atheists MUST believe in God as we are so angry with him haven’t got a clue!

20. Cali Ron says:

Barriejohn: It’s not god we are angry at, it’s the religion and it’s minions who put us through this. Agreed, this site has been therapeutic for me.

21. Robster says:

This should be called the “Islamic State Approach to Selling Religion to children” program. The good thing is that it’s scary nonsense. Kids won’t be attracted by this little gem of nastiness, fir evety sucker that signs up, there’ll be many more going “yuk, don’t anything to do with this”. This rare and unusual moment of Christian honesty will work for the good guys, not god and its sleazy cohorts.

22. Laura Roberts says:

As usual, he got his “degrees” from a non-accredited “theological seminary”. It drives me nuts how these uneducated twerps get mileage out of their fake degrees when they’re too goddamn lazy to go to a real school or do any real work. They’re perhaps even worse than the ones who have legitimate degrees in law or economics and pretend to be experts on biology or climate science.

23. Brian Jordan says:

I well remember, when I was little, having a shiny red apple from a parcel sent by relatives abroad. This would be about 1950 when such things were still scarce. i took it with me to eat after Sunday school and, as you might imagine, couldn’t resist polishing it during one of the many boring bits.
    It was immediately pounced on and confiscated. OK, but the bastards wouldn’t give it back afterwards. “If that’s Christianity”, I thought, “I want nome of it” and never looked back.
    It’s only in recent years that I realised that they have a thing about (what they rationalise as being) apples and now wonder whether they dared eat their stolen fruit or just stamped on it?