Christian’s hateful note badly backfires

Christian’s hateful note badly backfires

A homophobic Christian zealot who objected to the ‘gayness’ of a neighour’s yard has inadvertently set the wheels in motion to make the yard the gayest on the planet.

When Julie Baker, from Baltimore, received the above note from the “concerned home owner”, she immediately posted it on the Internet, where it went viral. She then set up a GoFundMe campaign, saying:

I am starting this fundraiser so I can work to make my home even More “relentlessly gay”  If we go high enough, I will see if I can get a rainbow roof!

Put simply, I am a widow and the mother of four children, my youngest in high school and I WILL NOT Relent to Hatred. Instead, I will battle it with whimsy and beauty and laughter and love, wrapped around my home, yard and family!!!

Baker hoped to raise $5,000 – but in just one day has raked in more than $16,000!

What so upset the “concerned home owner”  were  rainbow solar lights Baker had recently hung in her yard. The lights spelled out the words “Love” and “Ohana,” which is a Hawaiian expression for family unity.  The rainbow, and rainbow colors, are a symbol of gay pride.

26 responses to “Christian’s hateful note badly backfires”

1. dennis says:

Julie Baker thanks for not buying a weapon and or using one on the concerned neighbor with no guts to sign his/her name or come knock on your door and say these things face to face.
    Peace and Love to the concerned neighbor, ok I am a child of the sixty’s

2. Newspaniard says:

Interesting that the writer “…will be forced to call the police…”. Would they be the religious police? I can’t imagine any other police force having the slightest interest. Maybe the word “police” was a substitute for a homophobic gang that the writer knew?

3. SallyinMI says:

So now the religious hateful right wing is trying to co-opt Peace and Love, after they have taken over patriotism, the flag, and any sane reading of the New Testament? I’m betting “Concerned Homeowner” spends her Sunday mornings in from of “Meet the Republicans” on Fox Noise instead of prating for no more wars, peace at home, and loving her neighbors.

4. SallyinMI says:

I set my solar lights to flash rainbows..because I like the colors!

5. riverotr says:

Ironically, I remember when rainbows were a ‘religious’ symbol….remember the Noah’s Ark story?

The rainbow colors upset a bigoted xtian because someone used the colors of the rainbow that is a xtian symbol of gawd not flooding the world.
    So we know the neighbor is a raving bigot because SHE assumed her neighbor was supporting gays and never bothered to ask!!!
    And what do children have to do with it??!!?? They will play with any kid and don’t care about bigoted BS.

7. jay says:

The funny thing is, from the pictures I’ve seen, her yard was’gay’ only in the classical sense of the word.

8. Stephen Mynett says:

“. . . was’gay’ only in the classical sense of the word.”

Jay, considering the “intelligence” of many of these bigots, I often wonder what sort of reaction there would be if a local cinema were to announce it would be showing The Gay Divorcee.

9. Mike says:

Lawn gnomes. Definitely lawn gnomes. Two little bearded gnomes holding hands would be totally *fabulous* in this yard.

10. JohnMWhite says:

At the risk of sounding cynical, there is the possibility that this incident was cooked up for the sake of some gofundme money, which unfortunately has become a tactic for some people. It certainly doesn’t seem implausible, though, and taking it at face value, the poorly punctuated note suggests a sinister level of privilege and entitlement coming from someone of faith. There’s no such thing as a “Christian area” in the United States, yet I can’t help but suspect this person probably screamed bloody murder as Fox News made up ‘Muslim areas’ in the UK and France.

The phrase “and there are Children [sic]” of course implies that anything gay must be kept away from children because homosexuals want to molest and convert the impressionable young. Bigots do like to cling to every negative stereotype they can find. To then conclude with a demand that “your kind” need to respect their god, and that failure to comply with demands will be met with the police, is actually just terrorism. It’s a dehumanising threat of violence, and it comes from someone who seems to have reason to believe that the police will actually do something about ‘gay’ gardens. It does not make for a healthy community, but this is what faith breeds – people who relish the opportunity to hate, judge and bully those around them in order to appease their vicious, judgmental god.

I have to say that I am a bit sceptical about this incident as well!

12. bam bam says:

The anonymous note and the gofundme have the exact same capitalization errors. This is a scam.

13. JohnMWhite says:

@bam bam – both do have capitalization errors, but they are not the same ones. Sadly haphazard capitalization is a common thing, so I wouldn’t say that is definitive proof.

14. Skeptical says:

How do we even know this woman is telling the truth? Nobody has confirmed these events and yet people have already pledged THOUSANDS of dollars. What for? We don’t even know what will happen with the money. Is this just someones way of getting home reno done?

15. Johnnyk says:

>There’s no such thing as a “Christian area” in the United States
    There’s a whole area called The Bible Belt. Granted, Baltimore isn’t considered part of it, but there’s definitely areas where the christianity runs deeper than others.

16. G Brown says:

It appears that “A Concerned Home Owner” is not familiar with the concept of hate-crimes. I would love to be a fly on the wall if they called the police about a “gay” backyard only to find themselves charged with a hate crime.

17. Matt says:

@bam bam actually I think the capitalization errors could very likely just be mimicking and mocking the anonymous note’s.

18. DONNA says:

This looks like a scam. The “relentlessly gay” opener seems off to me, and so does the bulleted list of key points.
    Children
    Threats
    Bow down to God
    Send money so we can get a new roof.
    This one is sad to me.
    Either way, we have to accept that someone “like that” lives in this world
    I can only hope that nobody lost money they couldn’t afford to send.
    Most of us don’t have a lot of disposable income, and if we do, we tend to be pretty careful with where it goes
    I think this might appeal more to people who don’t have to worry about a few dollars
    I hope no real harm was done.
    With respect to all opinions, this is just mine. We all have one, and yes, I know what they say about them LOL
    Have a blessed day/night.

19. David says:

I hope she takes the extra money she raised above her goal and donates it to an LGBT charitable foundation.

20. Steam1901 says:

@JohnMWhite it’s as close as proof as we’re likely to get. I find that Very Dubious.

21. Chris Lawrence says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    These dumb Christians cant make this woman conform to there bigotry! You go Julie! Show the Christians that we will not be controlled by them and we have absolutely no respect for the bigotry and hatred known as the Christian religion!

22. Anna says:

why is everybody ignoring the fact that both the letter and gofundme page have similar random incorrect capitalizations. does everyone just assume it is coincidence??
    seems to me like a 30k+ scam … http://i.imgur.com/JFdZu1Y.png
    just like http://nypost.com/2013/12/07/waitress-claiming-couple-didnt-tip-because-shes-gay-gets-fired/

23. Mandie Young says:

I thought that after the flood waters subsided, GOD set his rainbow in the sky… or am I wrong…

Anna: That has been debated above!

25. JohnMWhite says:

@Johnnyk – You’re not understanding my point. Obviously there are areas in the United States that are known to have lots of Christians in them. That does not make them Christian territory. It is not a theocracy, nor is it a partitioned nation, even if some people are very unpleasant to their neighbours.

@Steam1901 – that is nothing approaching proof. Again, lots of people are terrible at punctuation. While I find the story slightly suspicious, the errors aren’t even consistent. Matt also suggested an alternative reason for the poor typing.

@Anna – did you even read the comments where you claim everybody ignored something we’re actually talking about?