Paedophile: ‘an evil spirit made me do it’

Paedophile: ‘an evil spirit made me do it’

Matthew Durham, 20, above, who is facing 17 charges of raping and sexually abusing children as young as six when he was performing Christian missionary work at the Upendo Children’s Home in Kenya, told a US federal court this week that he was innocent but believed he was possessed by an ‘evil spirit’ that made him do things he does not remember.

According to this report, if convicted, Durham faces up to life in prison.

He  blames a spirit named “Luke” for the crimes.

I have no recollection of molesting those children, but they told me I did, so it must have been an evil spirit. I wasn’t in a good place.

Several videos taken by an Upendo manager and presented as evidence show Durham being questioned by Upendo founder Eunice Menja, in which he repeatedly states that he does not remember committing the crimes.

He is shown asking for patience while he tried to remember, but then admits to taking children into a bathroom at the orphanage and engaging in acts with them.

Durham told the jury:

I was scared. They made me doubt my own memories.

Durham’s attorney, Stephen Jones, told jurors that the videotape and handwritten confessions were coerced because officials had taken Durham’s passport, held him in isolation and threatened to call Kenyan police if he did not confess.

Prosecutors called suspected victims to the stand who testified in a cleared court room about their sexual abuse at the hands of Durham, court officials said.

The trial continues.

14 responses to “Paedophile: ‘an evil spirit made me do it’”

So, the usual excuse from this whining, lying, pleading Christian. He didn’t do it. An evil spirit was at work. And while he was sexually abusing children to gratify his perverted lusts he would be quoting from his bible and preaching religious claptrap.

If he had the courage to say he had done wrong and was desperately sorry then he would at least be moving in a positive direction. As it is his religion leaves him beyond hope of being reclaimed as a decent human being.

2. Zosia says:

Broga: scathing generalisations aren’t a good indication of logical coherency and/or consistency. Also, if you think his reaction (or lack thereof) is consistent with the teachings of Christianity, you couldn’t be more mistaken (just grab a Bible and prove me wrong). What he did (the abuse AND the lying) is reprehensible and deserves full consequences. Also, the naivete of an organisation that allows random 20yr old hormone-raging (generally) males unrestricted access to young and underprivileged children should come under serious scrutiny (that this was allowed to happen is just scary!). But it has nothing to do with him (or the missions organisation) claiming to be Christians except for the total depravity of mankind.

I guess this will be a perfectly plausible explanation to all those who believes in sky fairies, zombies and ghosts.

Zosia: What Bible are you using? I could show you dozens of verses in both Old and New Testaments that refer to illness and deviant behaviour being the result of “demon possession”!

When he came to the other side into the country of the Gadarenes, two men who were demon-possessed met him as they were coming out of the tombs. They were so extremely violent that no one could pass by that way. And they cried out, saying, “What business do we have with each other, Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time? ” Now there was a herd of many swine feeding at a distance from them. The demons began to entreat him, saying, “If you are going to cast us out, send us into the herd of swine.” And he said to them, “Go!” And they came out and went into the swine, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and perished in the waters. ( Matthew 8:28-32)

@barriejohn: Thanks for replying to Zosia. I had to choose between replying to Zosia and cutting my lawn: the lawn won. There are, of course, many sites which provide bible cruelties, contradictions and absurdities in the bible. They would reveal aspects of the bible from which Zosia prefers to be ignorant.

6. Stephen Mynett says:

I would think watching your lawn grow again would be more interesting than replying to a religionist troll.
    The likes of Zosia just do not get it, the reason many people are atheists is because they have read the bible.

@Stephen Mynett: And a troll with intellectual pretentions e.g. “scathing generalisations aren’t a good indication of logical coherency and/or consistency.” Does Zosia know what this means or is she hoping the rest of us, equally bewildered, assume that she has written something clever.

I thought what I had written was specific. I don’t see any “generalisations” scathing or not.

PS The lawn is looking good.

8. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, I remember reading a Dawkins piece, it may have been from A Devil’s Chaplain, where he gave details of a website that would generate post-modernist essays. They were, of course, complete drivel but, as such, exactly like the real thing. I wonder if there is a similar program for religionist trolls to use so they can try to look educated.

If you should ever be passing through Gloucestershire you would be more than welcome to try to work your magic on my lawn.

Stephen Mynett: I remember reading about essays which were nonsense but seemed to make sense. I think they were around sociology. The readers read them and no one complained. The authors said what they did was an experiment to see if nonsense would be published. It was not only published by praised.

Re the lawn. I have gone a bit up market on a lawn mower and bought one with a more powerful Briggs Stratton engine and a far bigger grass box. The results justify the money after struggling with my previously aged i.e.knackered machine.

Broga: I cut our grass two days ago!

S Mynett: That sort of thing was doing the rounds when I was a student, and if I remember correctly, they were indeed based upon sociology, as Broga says. In our case, it was three lists of adjectives and nouns which could be jumbled up to make three-word terms which sounded scientific but were in fact complete gibberish. Very funny indeed, and I wish I’d kept a copy.

Still awaiting a reply to my comment!

11. asquith says:

It’s a small world, I’ve just come back from my mum’s and I cut her grass. There’s a lot of it to be done. And also a lot of cunts to be called cunts.

12. JohnMWhite says:

Um… what the fuck? Is this another Christian who thinks it is normal for adult men to want to molest and rape children, and they only don’t do it if you keep an eye on them?

13. Robster says:

There are things in life that need to be separated, like drunk drivers and cars, children and cigarette lighters and missionaries/priests/reverends/pastors/youth preachers/popes/bishops/imams/rabbis/clergy etc and children. There is quite a history of kiddie fiddling missionaries, I know they pride themselves on remaining ignorant but not to be aware of this history and/or ignoring it should be punishable. In this case, ignorance is no excuse.

14. Atabale says:

Sokal affair (published nonsense)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“total depravity of mankind”, now there’s a generalisation I can live with