It’s Yoga Day – so let’s throw a tantrum

It’s Yoga Day – so let’s throw a tantrum

In a message on the eve of International Day of Yoga – today, as it happens – India’s Nagaland and Assam Governor P B Acharya said the world had finally recognised the importance of yoga in ensuring a sound mind and a healthy body. He termed it as a ‘victory for our ancient saint Patanjali’.

But because schools were ordered to stay open to celebrate Yoga Day, howls of protest came thick and fast from both Christians and Muslims.

According to this report, the Nagaland Baptist Church Council complained that Sunday is a Christian holiday, and that holding an event on the day would “hurt their religious feelings”.

Nagaland is a Christian-dominated state.

Despite the projection of yoga as “secular”, the NBCC said it is deeply rooted in the beliefs and practices of Hinduism.

Muslims were quick to sound a note of discord too. Said Dr Zahir Kazi, president of Anjuman-I-Islam, which runs a chain of schools and professional colleges:

Yoga may have many health benefits, but observing International Yoga Day in schools should not be made compulsory. The order is undemocratic and amounts to infringing on the rights of a group of citizens who don’t worship anyone except Allah who is formless and omnipresent.

Like other religious groups, Muslims revere their mothers and believe that heaven is at mother’s feet. Yet, they don’t bow to their mothers or touch their feet as they are mandated to only bow to Allah.

Maulana Mustaqeem Azmi, President of Jamiatul Ulema-e-Hind (Maharashtra), slammed the government order, calling it dictatorial and impinging on the rights of citizens.

We have nothing against those who worship the sun, the moon, the seas or the mountains. But Muslims believe that all these things are creations of Allah, who alone deserves worship.

Another opponent  said:

The government cannot force citizens to do what it thinks is right. The Constitution guarantees its citizens complete religious freedom. If yoga also involves surya namaskar (sun salutation), which monotheistic Islam doesn’t approve of, it should not be made compulsory. The government must amend its order before it snowballs into a major controversy.

Today is also World Humanist Day.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

17 responses to “It’s Yoga Day – so let’s throw a tantrum”

1. (&$%^&&%$% says:

Yoga – heathy physical and mental exercise …. and the stupefied bigoteed pious spoilers whinge whine shriek and moan. Oh, and by the way it is not islam that drew the three anglophobe waster sisters to Syria . It was the fault of the police apparently according to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33216195. Yeah …right ….no mention of the fact that the minds of the three appalingly stupid sisters have been polluted by evil islamic indoctrination…. by their father who just happens to be an imam. So who is to blame .. our hard pressed police or nasty evil islamic clerics who foul up the world with the abomination of islam. Frankly if living in an inclusive caring secular caring country like the UK is so bad and is the UK is such a shit place then I say good riddance to the three sister and I invite any like minded waster to go join them.

I’m trying these postures and I can tell you they are bloody difficult.

3. .Korgu says:

So Sunday is a Christian holiday …ok so fuck off an have a holiday doing fuck all except wasting time mumbling platitudes with clasped hands but leave us normal people out of it.

4. .Korgu says:

Oh, and you muslims can stop complaining too. If fuckwits want to spend sunday in pious observance, and Hindus want to tie themselves up in knots, just shut your faces, grow up and let them get on with it.

These days any effing excuse to be offended is gleefully accepted by each of the major religious brands. In fact they all seem to be in a some kind of global competition to see just who’s the most belittled, offended and persecuted. Don’t know about you, but I for one am becoming bored to the back teeth by this endless, tiresome charade.

FFS get over yourselves – you’re all deluded, you’re management are all liars, you’re all fucking mad for falling for it, and as a consequence you all deserve every last bit of criticism that’s thrown at you.

6. Vanity Unfair says:

Let’s all be thankful that in the enlightened UK yoga is regarded as a beneficial, therapeutic, exercise in dynamic philosophy and meditation and nobody could make any religious objection to it or to its even being taught and practised on church property. Indeed, yoga is practised in church halls the length and breadth of the country with no complaint whatsoever.
    Sorry, what was that?

7. RussellW says:

(&$%^&&%$%

Yes,’radicalisation’ is always someone else’s fault, very few politicians or ‘community leaders’ will acknowledge the obvious fact that Western countries’ domestic jihadis are really just pious Muslims.

Sooner or later those demented sisters will be eligible for the Darwin Award. I’d agree, rather than preventing Muslims from joining the ME jihad we should encourage them, pay their fares perhaps, on the condition that they never return.

8. Robster says:

Meanwhile at the official monotheistic bigots HQ: “There’s nothing to whinge about today, has anyone got a paper? OK, let’s see, hmmmm…Oh, it’s Yoga day! People doing exercise and enjoying the great outdoors and the company of others, can’t have that without capitulating to an imaginary friend can we, quick call a lawyer…”

Religion tying itself in knots again – sorry!

10. David Anderson says:

Kama Sutra!

11. Newspaniard says:

I don’t mind a bit of yoghurt… the unsweetened kind is a bit bland ‘tho.

12. Brian Jordan says:

AFAIK, yoga as usually practised in the West has nothing to do with Hinduism. It was hijacked by some American PE enthusiasts and IIRC that of course caused its religious adherents to be offended. So all those vicars banning it from church halls are talking through their hassocks.
    OTOH, I’m a bit offended that I didn’t know that it was World Humanist Day. My ignorance is my fault: I should have taken notice but it seems to have had no more publicity in the UK than it probably had in Zambia.

I agree don’t do the yoga day!!! I hate being showed as inferior!!!
    I bet THAT is why they hate it and then put their religious BS onto it.
    Just cuz the exercise position is called “sun salutation” does not mean you are adoring the sun. But then the sun is a fact and I’m sure the religious dims hate that.

I was warned off of yoga by the Brethren, as it was obviously another thing that was “of the devil”, and meditation was also taboo as you would be “opening your mind to all sorts of things” (can’t have open minds). Both were recommended when I was suffering from depression, and might well have been helpful, unlike the homoeopathic consultation which I was actually offered by my Christian advisers!

15. JohnMWhite says:

This is all very weird to me. I went to a Catholic school and they thought yoga was the bee’s knees. I was told to do yoga so I’d feel better about being violently attacked by bullies, because complaining about it would bring Catholic schooling into disrepute and that would be a grave sin.

16. dennis says:

@Brian Jordan I to was upset with myself also, about the Humanist Day 6/21/2015 then further evidence of the summer solstice went with out my notice. but yesterday I got to talk to one of my nieces about evolution and I helped her understand evolution better. she starts college in September 2015, hopefully she will take my reading list of the Four Horsemen and read them. this girl is a “church girl” due to her moms’ virus, but the freedom of college and her intellect can produce a wonderful complete loving woman.