Yee’s Facebook page mystifies prison staff

Yee’s Facebook page mystifies prison staff

Exasperated prison authorities in Singapore are scratching their heads, wondering how the Facebook page of  imprisoned atheist blogger Amos Yee, above, continues to be updated.

Today, for example, this message appeared on the 16-year-old’s page:

Being in a larger environment of robbers, rapists and drug addicts, does do wonders in rehabilitating me. I now have a much larger network of friends who can sell heroin to me, once I get out. Yay!

According to this report, since last Thursday, a number of posts have appeared at regular intervals. The first, which read “What’s up doc? Hahahaha…”, popped up at about 5 pm on Thursday.

It was followed a few hours later by another post, which posed the question:

How is it that I am in prison, yet I am still able to post something on Facebook?

It is still not clear how the Facebook page is being updated. The Singapore Prison Service has confirmed that all inmates and remandees do not have access to any telecommunication devices within the prison institutions.

Yee was remanded for three weeks on June 2, after District Judge Jasvender Kaur called for a report to assess if he is suitable for “reformative training“.

He had been found guilty on May 12 of uploading an obscene image and making remarks intending to hurt the feelings of Christians in a video.

Many of the mysterious Facebook posts complain about prison life. One laments the lack of exposure to sunshine, while another criticises the attitudes of police officers towards Yee’s choice of a vegetarian diet.

All three of Yee’s lawyers – Alfred Dodwell,  Chong Jia Hao, and Ervin Tan – said when contacted that they were not aware that the posts were being made.

Chong said:

We aren’t aware of how this is happening and we don’t want to speculate. We’ll just focus on preparing for the sentencing. Everything else is secondary.

Many have had their own theories on how the posts are happening. Some believe that Yee had written the posts beforehand and scheduled them to appear later. Others suggested that he had given his Facebook password to a third party, or that his account had been hacked.

Yee is due in court tomorrow.

11 responses to “Yee’s Facebook page mystifies prison staff”

1. .Korgu says:

Maybe he is a prophet

2. Sharad says:

@ .Korgu: maybe not, but, it’s enough of a miracle to qualify him for a beatification, certainly.

So the authorities are at a loss to understand how someone’s FaceBook page could be updated while he is in prison. Do they understand how a matchbox works, I wonder? Modern life can be SO bewildering.

4. Barry Duke says:

It’s a clear-cut case of bi-location. Eat you heart out, Padre Pio.

“reformative training” Sounds like a euphemism for beating god into him with bibles or perhaps they prefer the old catholic trick of the rack or hot irons.

6. Rob Andrews says:

Well I’m sure she has a lot of friends on the outside. who are taking an interest. Maybe it was a set=up from the beginning, to get more followers. But I’m sure prison guards all over Asia know how to make prisoners ‘talk’.

Amnesty International must have an urgent action on her case. But I can’t get to the web page with my Windows XP.

7. Newspaniard says:

@Rob Andrews. “She” is a 16 year old lad who has been imprisoned with murderers, thugs, child molesters, drug dealers and the like for a harmless prank. The judiciary in Singapore need to look at themselves and hang their heads in shame.

8. zombiehunter says:

Also prisoners in the UK and even the US can get phones smuggled in to them so why should Singapore be any different.

9. JohnMWhite says:

Well, I can’t think of many better ways of subtly showing how utterly brainless believing in magic beings makes people than bamboozling them via Facebook while in jail for not believing in their bullshit.

Jesus was a bit of a loon and would’ve been too stupid to figure out scheduled posting as well. Come at me, Singapore, you cowardly cretins.

10. Stephen Mynett says:

“Singapore is the ultimate totalitarian nanny state and I plan to never ever go there fuck that place and it’s petty fucking rules.”

I don’t blame you Zombiehunter, I had to hang around their airport for almost a full day (about 21 hours if I remember rightly) because of their rules. I was flying out to see my sister in WA and my after landing in Frankfurt I found my flight was delayed 16 hours, that was no great problem as I spent a few hours in the City (not the best of German cities but better than an airport). Singapore was different.

On arriving we were informed our connection was at least 20 hours away but we had been supplied with rooms at a Singapore hotel. I asked if my hold luggage could be left airside but was told I had to take it with me if I left the airport, I then explained about my medication for haemophilia and the fact I had some strong Opioid pain killers in a suitcase. Because my accreditation letters from the doctors were written for the Aussie authorities they said they could not guarantee they would be accepted by Singapore customs/immigration and I was advised to stay airside. Considering the Singapore laws on drugs I stayed. Luckily I was flying business so had a decent lounge with showers to use but I was still pissed off that I would only have been allowed to enter the country if I had taken my bags with me and risked their draconian legal system.