Alex Salmond, voice of the the faithful

Alex Salmond, voice of the the faithful

Scotland’s former First Minister Alex Salmond is under fire – after claiming he ‘prefers’ religious people to ‘people of no faith’.

Pink News reports that the Scottish National Party MP for Gordon, who stepped down as First Minister last year following the independence referendum, made the claims on a video with a Church of Scotland chaplain, Reverend Stuart MacQuarrie. (Salmond is pictured above left with MacQuarrie)

Asked about the role of the Church in society, he said:

I am biased of course because I am a Church of Scotland adherent and I prefer people of faith to people of no faith or people who have lost their faith.

All denominations have a key role to play in society and we are very fortunate in Scotland because we have a tremendous ability, among religions and denominations, to come together and support good causes.

One atheist Twitter critic hit back:

I prefer people who aren’t Alex Salmond to Alex Salmond.

Nevertheless, he also paid tribute to humanists for their work around the Glasgow Commonwealth Games .

The Church of Scotland has been increasingly bitterly divided in recent years on the issues of same-sex marriage and gay clergy.

The Kirk’s General Assembly formally approved plans earlier this year to allow gay clergy, voting by 309 to 182 in favour of the proposals.

However, following the decision a number of churches have split away or disaffiliated – while a group of 74 ministers and elders in the Church of Scotland have formally dissented from the decision.

Salmond oversaw the passage of same-sex marriage into law – though it was opposed by his own local vicar and many religious figures.

Writing for Pink News after the equal marriage bill passed, he wrote:

I believe that Tuesday 4th February 2014 will be remembered as one of the proudest days in the history of Scotland.

It was a day we took an enormous step towards being the kind of country we want to be – a country that not only believes in equality and fairness, but one in which those values are weaved into the very fabric of our society.

This is a bill about equality, but perhaps more importantly than that it is about love – the love between a couple, regardless of sexuality, belief or background.

It cannot be right that two people are denied the right to have their love enshrined in the institution of marriage, purely on the basis of their gender or their sexuality. That is an injustice that cannot be allowed to stand in a truly tolerant society.

14 responses to “Alex Salmond, voice of the the faithful”

To call Salmond a weasel would be an insult to some rather cute, if occasionally vicious, furry little animals, but I laughed my socks off the other day when we learned that, in signing off his letters to Prince Charles, he used to say: “I have the honour to be, Sir, Your Royal Highness’s most humble and obedient servant.”

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha; will he ever live it down?

He is totally brain washed!! He thinks that a reverse collar makes you honest & trust worthy or saying JESUS!!! does as well! And at the same time he is a hypocrite as he would not think the same for ISIS!!! What he actually is saying is I trust people like me!

‘…we are very fortunate in Scotland because we have a tremendous ability, among religions and denominations, to come together…’

He’s obviously never been to an Old Firm derby, then.

4. Caute says:

This is easy.

Salmond is a politician – a person who acts in a manipulative and devious way to get what he wants. He is well versed in flattery, deception and lies.

I prefer to deal with rational honest atheists rather than religious people and politicians whose synergies and conspiracies have a long and ugly history. Look at how Putin and the Russian Orthodox Patriarch are behaving.

Q – What is the collective noun for an Alliance of Politicians and Religious Clerics?
    A – A Corruption of Politicians and Clerics.

One of my favourite quotes re politicians, courtesy of that wily old rascal, Nikita Khrushchev:

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.

I’m banging my shoe on the table even at this very moment!

I prefer people of no faith and feel queasy around earnestly devout people. Their objectivity is compromised and they can be guaranteed to deal in a prejudiced way with someone who declares themselves atheists. I am not referring to the great majority of religious people who accept the label without giving a toss to what they actually believe.

7. Lucy1 says:

But the story will not end with her going to jail.

8. zombiehunter says:

@ AgentCormac

“He’s obviously never been to an Old Firm derby, then.”

took the words right out of my mouth 😛

although I am an SNP voter (only cos they are a best of a bad lot and they have more policies that I agrew with than other parties) I have always disagreed with alex salmonds stance on religion and also with john mason (my local candidate) who mixes politics and religion and voted against the equal marriage bill, luckily there was a newer more agreeable SNP candidate for the general election this year but if john mason is stil the local candidate for the Scottish parliamentary elections next year I will be voting someone else again.

9. Brian Jordan says:

It;s a good job we’re unlikely to see a coalition between the SNP and the Tories – imagine what it would be like to have a Pickles/Salmond duo in the government 🙁

I prefer people who don’t wear ties like his. Inwardly it makes me cringe and what I’m really thinking is ‘Uggggh! Stay away from me!’
    Do atheists wear ties like that?

11. John says:

I think you are all being really hard on that poor Mr Salmon.
    He shares similar views with another figure from history: Adolf Hitler, according to Albert Speer.
    Hitler never trusted anyone without religious beliefs. He expressed admiration for Muslims as their religious commitment seemed greater than that found in the West.
    So, come-on, leave poor Mr Salmond alone.
    Anyone in agreement with Adolf Hitler needs all the help he can get.

12. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn: Ah yes, the bridge of sighs, sorrows and misplaced hope.