Muslim faith healer murdered in London

Muslim faith healer murdered in London

The dead man is Zakariyya Islam, 46, above, a co-founder of the Ruqya centre in Whitechapel which specialises is curing people of ‘demonic possession’ and related ‘spiritual’ afflications.

According to this Evening Standard report, last year the father of three hosted a conference – “The World of Jinns” – at the East London Mosque which he visited regularly.

Friends described him as a “popular guy with a big heart” who was well-known within the Muslim community.

Police and paramedics rushed to the scene and found the Islamic healer suffering critical injuries.

Despite desperate attempts he could not be saved and was pronounced dead a short time later.

A 43-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder. He was treated in hospital for hand injuries and was questioned by detectives who recovered a knife following the attack at 6.30pm on Monday.

Islam had been treating people who believe themselves possessed by ‘jinns’, or spirits, and black magic victims, for more than a decade.

The centre also offers advice on sorcery, witchcraft and the “evil eye”.

One of Islam’s three daughters today said they were “in shock” and too distraught to speak about the tragedy.

His sister-in-law Shazeda Khanom, 41, said:

He was a very nice man and we don’t know who would do something like this or have any reason to.

A Met Police spokesman confirmed the victim and suspect were known to each other.

Islam, from Mile End, was a former caretaker at Stepney Green Secondary School and a member of Islamic Forum of Europe.

Curiously, the Evening Standard’s coverage of the murder was criticised by the East London News, which said:

Inevitably, the Evening Standard is reporting the murder by sensationalising Mr Islam’s professional life.

Hat tip BarrieJohn

22 responses to “Muslim faith healer murdered in London”

The dimwit was a con man who did not believe he could be harmed.
    But that is not an executable offense. Before we can judge the killer or the killee we need to find the facts and reasons. Just because some delusional people said a con man was always ‘very nice’ does not mean he was. Or that the killer was evil.
    But if the killer also believed in the jinn and was psychotic, then being treated for possession while leaving the psychosis UNTREATED is only asking for a lot of trouble. And the killer is not guilty by reason of ‘possession of jinn’.

2. Newspaniard says:

East London News is a muslim newspaper, is it?

3. WoooWoooWatch says:

Maybe the killer was a disatisfied customer? Deepak better watch his back

4. Who Cares says:

Who cares?
    Happens every day?
    But just watch the muslims whinge, whine, shreik, bleat, stamp and scream to exploit this to the maximum degree for political advantage. No matter who did it. No matter why it was done. They muslims will have an angle on it.

There were suspicions that the murderer was a “disgruntled patient” of Mr Islam. Whatever the facts, this case raises serious questions, like: are believers not able to cast out all demons; are some demons more powerful than God; is God not powerful enough to protect his servants, or does he not see everything that is coming; does God choose to intervene in some instances but not others, and if so how does he decide when to act? I am reminded of the closing lines of a favourite comedy series of mine: “These questions, and many others, will be answered in the next episode of Soap.” After all, we were reminded once again just recently that, as religion promotes logical reasoning, we owe modern advances in science to Christianity* , so I feel sure that our friendly local Muslim (no names, no cap ribbons) will be able to enlighten us poor heathens on this one.

* https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2015/09/16/was-christianity-crucial-for-the-rise-of-science-a-baptist-accommodationist-says-yes/

What a sad loss to the world. With Mr Islam gone the demons and jinns will be free to possess without fear of being cast out. They must be rampaging through East London without restraint.

I don’t know why demons and jinns seem so keen to possess the most ignorant people in society. Haven’t they better things to do? Why aren’t they possessing David Cameron, the devout Christian Eric Pickles (is he in the Lords yet?), the Queen, the Archbishop of Canterbury? They really do have little ambition. They need to up their game.

Broga: Sir Eric Pickles, if you don’t mind – and he’s still an MP.

Newspaniard: East London News “a muslim newspaper”? Perish the thought!

8. Stephen Mynett says:

A good point Broga, especially as those you have mentioned have plenty of spare space in the cranium for them to move in.

9. Stephen Mynett says:

Barriejohn, I remember Soap, had a good smile when you reminded me of it. I seem to remember that Burt was abducted by aliens, a plot line considerably more believable than some of the Bible myths.

10. barfly says:

I know a lot of JW who think all politicians are controlled by daemons

SM: And replaced by a lookalike (they were taking the piss out of Dallas). Burt was worried that his replacement had been better than him “in the bedroom department”! It was hilarious, and very cleverly written, but the best sequences were those involving Chuck & Bob (the “dummy”):

The “mindreading” session is rib-cracking as well, and almost a parody of religious bullshit.

Barfly: When I was a young man I was taught by apparently sane and “normal” Christians that the whole world was controlled by Satan, as it was his realm, and that we believers were fighting a battle against demonic powers in which our greatest weapon was prayer. Time and again I have been accused online of projecting “extreme” views onto mainstream Christians as a result of my experiences with “an obscure Christian sect”, yet verse after verse of the Bible, and much hymnology used in the CofE every single week says exactly this. They even carry out “exorcisms”, for Christ’s sake. Who is the one who is out of touch with reality?

“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Eph. 6:12)

“Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.” (John 12:31)

“We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.” (I John 5:19)

@barriejohn: My religious relative tells me that if I read “prayerfully” bits of the bible that I criticise then they will “make sense.” I think that covers all the problems in the bible including those in the Old Testament.
    I don’t know how to read “prayerfully.” How can you pray and read at the same time? When I said this to her she replied, “Trust you to say something like that. I’ve never heard of anyone else have a problem” and walked off.

15. Stephen Mynet says:

I have heard this reading prayerfully nonsense as well. As far as I can work out the easiest way to do it is to remove the frontal lobe with an ice pick before opening the book.

I’m sure that all regular FT contributors would, like me, have no hesitation whatsoever in labelling Zakariyya Islam as a full-on, deluded, they-must-have-taken-my-marbles-away nutter. However, his murder is something to decry, condem and denounce in the strongest possible terms.

17. Lensman says:

When I met my ex-wife she was a lapsed JW. Five years into our marriage which was failing miserably, due in part to my devout atheism and her stubborn adherance to the supernatural, I came home one day and found her sitting on the sofa with a strange woman who uttered the words “you know what that is don’t you; that’s the demons talking to you”! I thought, Jesus, what do I say to that. Obviously the marriage failed. Though the murder of Mr. Islam is sad, I guess if you approach life with a medieaval mindset you’re asking for trouble.

18. dennis says:

@Broga Yes been there with believers and preachers (that word seems so dirty this morning like looking at Ted Cruz) just pray boy, just pray and read the bible. what they were saying is commit to the fairy then read the book and you will have the holiness to expunge the correct meaning. read past the facts and concentrate on the belief only. this was the complete opposite of public school, learn the facts then use the facts to expand your mind. oh! the tree of knowledge! so glad the tree of knowledge lives here with us at Free Thinker Mag.

19. Peterat says:

When an excorcist excorcises a demon from someone, where does it go? Could this be the result of a demon he’d already dealt with possessing someone else and getting revenge? Inquiring minds want to know!!

20. Cali Ron says:

Demons, they are going to the pigs. According to Matthew 8:30-32 jesus cast out some demons and at their requests puts them into a herd of swine, which then commit suicide by jumping into the sea. You have to wonder why any self respecting demon would request to be put into a pig and then make it commit suicide. What happened to the demons then? Really, demon possession is one of the dumber things religion has come up with. If god gave us free will to choose our destiny, then how can a “demon” take over and choose it for us? Another one of the many contradictions of the bible.