Pope’s woeful week just got a lot worse

Pope’s woeful week just got a lot worse

Still reeling from the fiasco over the Pope’s meeting with Kim Davis, the Vatican today suffered another devastating blow when Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa, a senior official at the Vatican’s Congregation For the Doctrine Of The Faith, came out as gay.

Even worse for the Church, the priest – pictured above with his Spanish boyfriend Eduardo – did so on the eve of the Catholic’s Church’s Synod on the Family, according to this report.

In an interview in today’s Corriere Della Sera, timed to coincide with Sunday’s opening of the Synod, Monsignor Charamsa said:

I want the Church and my community to know who I am – a homosexual priest, happy and proud of his own identity.

I am ready to pay the consequences of this but the moment has come for the Church to open its eyes to gay believers and to understand that the solution which it offers to gays, namely total abstinence from a love life, is simply inhuman.

Monsignor Charamsa, who has been in Rome for 17 years, is a senior official at the CDF and a theology lecturer at the prestigious Jesuit-run Gregorian University in Rome.

Charamsa was due attend a meeting today of the Global Network of Rainbow (LGBT) Catholics in Rome. Another attendee was former Irish president Mary MacAleese, who was due to give a public interview on the theme of “Catholic Encounters with LGBT People and their Families”.

Charamsa said there was a day when “something breaks inside you”, adding that God guided him to this decision, “which should be the most simple for any homosexual”.

It seems to me that, in the Church, we don’t know homosexuality because we don’t know homosexuals, yet we have them all over the place. With my story I want to shake the conscience of the Church a bit.

I will personally reveal my identity to the Holy Father with a letter. And I will inform the universities where I teach as to who I am. (I do this) with immense regret since I will probably no longer be allowed to teach in Catholic schools.

In relation to the Synod, which was already certain to have had the Church’s pastoral approach to homosexuality on its agenda, Monsignor Charamsa said:

I would like to tell the Synod that homosexual love is a family love and one that needs the family. Every person, including gays, lesbians, transexuals desire love and a sense of family.

Asked how he deals with Catholic teaching which defines the practise of homosexuality a “sin”, Monsignor Charamsa replied:

The Bible never talks about homosexuality. Instead it talks about acts which I would call ‘homogenital’, acts which can be carried out by heterosexual people, as happens often in prisons.

In that case, these acts may be a moment of infidelity to one’s true nature and thus a sin. Those same acts carried out by homosexuals, however, express their true nature. The biblical sodomite has nothing to do with two gays today in Italy who love one another and want to get married.

Acknowledging the serious consequences his coming out is likely to have, including his eventual laicisation, Monsignor Charamsa said he was not doing this so that he would be free to live with his partner. The reason was much bigger, he said.

I think that on these issues (homosexuality), the Church is way behind in relation to the level of understanding reached by humanity.

The Holy See’s reaction to Monsignor Charamsa’s interview was immediate with senior spokesman Father Federico Lombardi calling him irresponsible for having made:

Such a pointed statement on the eve of the opening of the Synod.

He said it would place the Synod under undue media pressure, and that:

Monsignor Charamsa will certainly be unable to continue to carry out his previous work in the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and the Pontifical universities …

17 responses to “Pope’s woeful week just got a lot worse”

1. SallyinMI says:

Seems to me that “total abstinence from a love life” would be just as hard on the straight priest as the gay one. And since this in nowhere to be found in the Bible (nor is a POPE) I think the Catholic Church may be about to crumble under its own self inflated weight.

A bad, bad week for the vatican spin doctors. Which does beg the question, if we are to accept that Frankie really is on best-mates terms with the all-seeing,all-knowing almighty, why didn’t god just give him and his PR team the heads-up that would have saved them all this embarrassment? Oh, hang on… I was forgetting, this fictional sky fairy of theirs ‘moves in mysterious ways’. How terribly convenient!

3. Hey there's a skid mark says:

Comms betwixt god and his representative on earth seem to have broken down this week. Has the pope’s god phone run out of charge, has the pope forgotten to renew his mobile contract … wtf is going wrong here. Seems like the rcc has gone divergent on all 3 axes.

4. Hey there's a skid mark says:

And we are all having a wonderful time watching the infallible dismally failing in front of the world media. Best fun I have had in weeks. Way to go pope.

5. Goindy51 says:

If agnostic priest can teach comparative religion (this was back in the 70’s) why can’t a gay priest teach? He still believes the bullshit unlike the previous priest I mentioned.

6. Stephen Mynett says:

Interesting question Goindy51. I think the problem for all churches is their teaching is based on threats, ie if you don’t do this or conform you will go to Hell, therefore they need plenty of sins to castigate people for. If you start to lessen the number of sins you decrease the number of threats you can make.
    Of course, to logical thinkers sin is only a made up concept anyway but to the church it is the basis of their fear tactics.

Once priests and lay RCs dare to speak honestly the Vatican will be vulnerable. To protect their lifestyles, their finance, their religious scams and their covert sex they will find reasons to find that homosexuality isn’t so bad after all.

Well done Krzysztof – may your example inspire more men and women to openly declare their love for whoever they want.

9. Trevor Blake says:

another confused person who thinks his faith is a democracy, or based on objective evidence.

10. sailor1031 says:

As always at such times my thoughts drift back to that lovely couple the Rattenfaenger & Gorgeous Georg. I guess the crime is admitting your true nature. Lying is fine. Gets you a pension and a sumptuous apartment. Slightly off-topic but not much, I note that Bernard Law is still hanging out in Rome in his sinecure post, still evading justice. If Pope Fluffy wanted to establish some bona fides he’s send that lying bastard back to Boston – today. OTOH with PF having been “betrayed” by underlings (supposedly in the pay of Curia fascists) what price TWO emeritus popes?

another confused person who thinks his faith is a democracy

But why on earth SHOULDN’T he think that? Umpteen church councils have decided upon, and modified, church doctrine in the past; popes are ELECTED, and have invented doctrine at a whim; “Mother Church” has changed her mind about things over and over again. It won’t be long before the RCC is marrying divorcees and gay people, and allowing priests to marry (as they used to do). Any pretence of a body of belief given to Peter and the apostles, and handed down intact and unaltered from generation to generation is a complete farce!

12. Laura Roberts says:

So it’s OK for priests to have boyfriends/girlfriends now? Granted, they’ve always done whatever the hell they please, and it’s profoundly stupid to impose celibacy rules on humans, but …WTF?

A group of elderly, unmarried, supposedly celibate men are meeting in Rome to “rule on the Church doctrine on marriage and family” that their flock must follow.

14. dennis says:

@Broga, I don’t get it either Broga.

15. -Matt- says:

I’m convinced that every Catholic goes to bed with an inflatable God. That way, if they do anything vigorous it will develop a static charge and they get zapped.