Angry Christians attack atheists

Angry Christians attack atheists

A group of atheists in Bogotá, Colombia, last week decided that they had had enough of religious rallies being staged in a local park without proper authorisation.

So, “in defence of public space”, members of the Asociación de Ateos de Bogotá unfurled a banner that stated “Ninguna iglesia por encima de las leyes” (“No church above the laws”) – and all hell broke loose. An angry mob tried several times to destroy the banner, as the video below shows.

The event was organised by celebrity Catholic priest Jesús Hernán Orjuela – popularly referred to as “Padre Chucho” – and his church. “Chucho”, according to Elisaul Rodriguez of Ateístas de Puerto Rico:

Has a history of conducting mass in that park even when the authorities haven’t authorized such activities.

On the other hand, ‘Chucho’, (who in the past has said that atheists ‘are terrorists’ and ‘cannot love’), alleged that protesters not only initiated the violence but also followed him and attacked him inside the church.

This was patently bullshit, and was, of course, vehemently denied by Ferney Rodríguez, spokesman of the Corporación Bogotana para el Avance de la Razón y el Laicismo (Corporation for the Advancement of Reason and Secularism in Bogotá).

The guitar-strumming Padre Chucho

The guitar-strumming Padre Chucho

Now I’d never heard of Jesús Hernán Orjuela until Rodriguez alerted me to this incident, and I decided to investigate further. What I learned was that this colourful, charismatic and “camp” priest is no stranger to controversy, and that, until 2011, was a popular TV personality. Colombia Reports wrote:

Padre Chucho, the Catholic priest that advised Colombian housewives on exorcism, cheating and other pressing moral issues, has apparently been taken off the air by television network RCN.

‘Cura para el alma’ (Cure for the soul) was never officially canceled, but is no longer seen on RCN’s morning show ‘Muy Buenos Dias’ (Very good morning).

“Muy Buenos Dias” was later described as Colombia’s “stupidest TV program”.

The Google headlines below show that Columbia Reports regarded “Chucho” – referred to in one of its reports as “Chuchu train” – with very little reverence.

headlinesI could not help but to chuckle over the hospital report that said:

Horribly upsetting times for Colombian housewives and lovers of camp television personalities; Padre Chucho, RCN’s own television priest, was taken to hospital after he was STUNG BY AN UNKNOWN INSECT.

Father Jesus ‘Chucho’ Orjuela was admitted to hospital after the sting of an unknown insect caused the television personality/ Catholic superhero to become SERIOUSLY UNWELL.

Hat tip: Elisaul Rodriguez

16 responses to “Angry Christians attack atheists”

It was difficult to regard Padre Chucho seriously but the sting by the atheist insect added to the fun. I wonder where it stung him? What kind of insect makes you “seriously unwell”? This man is a “super hero” and I would have thought, with the help of some prayers, he would have seen off the atheist insect.

Here he is:

I’m sure that, like a great many others, he thinks he is another Mario Lanza when he sings in the shower!

3. SallyinMI says:

Well, the Singing Nun had quite a following in the 60’s…and didn’t have to spend in days in the convent! Maybe Chucho has aspirations for Columbia’s Idol? Meanwhile, his viewpoints would fit right in here in exceptional America.

4. Trevor Blake says:

I cannot imagine how embarrassing it must be to grovel before a diety who in turn is so weak that he cannot send a small gust of wind to blow a sign down. A deity so puny he can’t keep a bug from stinging a man just one time. How ashamed they must feel at all times.

There have been a number of singing nuns, monks and vicars over the years – some definitely more talented than others:

6. There was more than this they even hit us and put us in the jail. Now we are on conditional freefom and waiting for the Jure, please help us!

Here tehj video of the agressions:

7. dennis says:

I do hope the theist clean up after them selves, but then all the kids are having their minds polluted even those in the blankets.

Once again the lovely religiots show that no matter which brand of delusion they subscribe to, they have only one default course of action once someone challenges their inane beliefs, assumed privileges and presumption to be above the law: it’s called aggression.

But hang on, what am I saying? Religion is really all about love, peace and compassion. Right?

9. MB says:

For those who didn’t read about it in 1985, the singing nun committed the mortal sin of suicide in 1985: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singing_Nun#Death

So we’ll be joining her in Hell. Bugger.

10. Tim Danaher says:

Everyone knows that the singing nuns and priests are heresy… The only true path to enlightenment can be found through The Singing Postman:

Tim Danaher: I can easily trump that. We debated this video here some time ago, and though many thought that it must be a spoof it evidently isn’t!

Why do Christians feel such an urge to make themselves look stupid?

And how about this record cove? One of many which were the cause of great mirth, I seem to remember:

13. tonye says:

barriejohn,

Cheers for the links, I had a good chuckle with them.

Tonye: I thought that there might be some who hadn’t seen those before.

“He taught me how to turn my cheek when people laugh at me”!

LOL (and I mean that most sincerely folks.)

15. frank rizzo says:

There is nothing above but sky, and spirit is just booze. Hookers are everywhere to be found even in the church.