Carson confirms barmy pyramid theory

Carson confirms barmy pyramid theory

Republican US presidential hopeful Dr Ben Carson confirmed this week that he believes Egypt’s pyramids were built to store grain and were not, as archaeologists insist, tombs for pharaohs.

The retired neurosurgeon, who is seeking his party’s nomination for the White House, originally made the claim in a 1998 address at Andrews University, a school associated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church, to which he belongs. He said in the address:

My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain. Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it.

Asked on Wednesday if he still held these views, Carson told CBS News:

It’s still my belief, yes.

In his 1998 address, Carson elaborated:

And when you look at the way that the pyramids are made, with many chambers that are hermetically sealed, they’d have to be that way for various reasons.

Carson bangs on relentlessly about his faith, and said recently of his critics:

They say, ‘Carson, you know, how can you be a surgeon, a neurosurgeon, and believe that God created the Earth, and not believe in evolution, which is the basis of all knowledge and all science?’ …

But I do believe God created us, and I did just fine … And in fact, the more you know about God, and the deeper your relationship with God, I think the more intricate becomes your knowledge of the way things work, including the human body.

This claptrap naturally excites the religious right, so much so that according to this report, he’s now leading the Republican primary race.

On the campaign trail, Carson combines his soft-spoken manner with us-versus-them rhetoric based around religious differences. He told an adoring crowd in West Memphis, Arkansas, last week.

I get a lot of ridicule from secular progressives because I believe in God. But I’ve got to tell you something: I will never relinquish my belief in God.

He talks about the Judeo-Christian values he sees as essential to what America is, and blasts “secular progressives” for imposing political correctness on other Americans.

Carson draws large crowds of Christians, particularly Christian women, to both his campaign events and his book tour events, and his ground operations have a heavy focus on reaching voters through religious venues.

Carson argues that his strategy:

Is to talk about things that are relevant to all Americans and every segment of our society. We’ve become way too divided.

But he acknowledges that he’s really addresses ignoramuses: social conservatives with “traditional” values like his, though he believes that represents most people.

I believe that the vast majority of Americans have traditional American values. And they’ve been bullied into shutting their mouths and sitting down, which has allowed the secular progressives to have reign, and I believe that the people who want to give away all of our values and principles that made us into a great nation so they can be politically correct are not our friends.

Asked what her favorite thing about Carson was, supporter Lillian B Hodges, 76, a pastor in West Memphis, Arkansas, said:

His belief in Jesus Christ, that’s what.

Voter Kim Hester, 56, who attended Carson’s speech at Colorado Christian University in Lakewood, Colorado, the day after last week’s Republican primary debate, added:

He’s going to seek God about how to lead our country and allow God to lead our country, rather than what politicians think is best to lead our country.

In September, New York Times columnist Ross Douthat wrote that Carson was running a “content-free campaign” and that:

He’s offering a collection of pieties and crankery; mostly, his candidacy is just about the man himself. And unfortunately evangelical voters have a weakness for this kind of pitch. From Pat Robertson in 1988 through thin-on-policy figures like Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, even Michele Bachmann briefly in 2012, the evangelical tendency has been to look for a kind of godly hero, a Christian leader who could win the White House and undo every culture-war defeat.

Hat tip: Ivan Bailey (pyramid report).

22 responses to “Carson confirms barmy pyramid theory”

1. H3r3tic says:

Nothing about this surprises me at all. The American public voted Dubya in as president and I thought, oh well they’ll soon realise what a complete fuckwit he is. Four years later they did it again! Someone who believes, against all of the available peer-reviewed evidence, that the pyramids were grain stores seems like a shoe in for the job.

2. Ivan says:

I think it was the Washington Post who recently described Carson’s thoughts on various issues as “a mishmash of absurdity untroubled by contemplation”.

Must’ve been the world’s first Pyramid Scheme!

My late and dear friend. Bill’s, friend, Jim Rutherford, was the son of Adam Rutherford, and, until mown down by a hit-and-run driver, used to promote the British Israelism works and views of his father (Pyramidology), even though he didn’t believe in it himself! Their idea, as well as the belief that the Christian European races are the direct descendants of the “Ten Lost Tribes of Israel” (Saxons= Isaac’s Sons, you see), is that the pyramids contain in their construction a code which foretells the entire history of the world. By measuring the tunnels and chambers, and various other features, and comparing with the Bible, one can determine when events prophesied in the Bible will occur. Jim’s house was full of their wretched books (which he continued to sell ), and he regularly organized escorted trips to Egypt – mainly for gullible American believers in this nonsense. I have some of the books,and am pleased to report that their system of foretelling the future – much like those of other soothsayers – works perfectly for events in past history, but falls down completely when it comes to predicting what was to happen after they were written!

This is the sort of thing that I mean:

Makes it all perfectly clear, doesn’t it?

6. Newspaniard says:

Hmmmm. Let’s see. 3 (possibly more) US presidents seeking their god’s advice before making major decisions and one islamist, seeking advice from his particular god. What chance of an equally incompetent god-botherer
    in the White House next time?

Thank for that Barriejohn. It is as barking mad as numerology where simple arithmetic and suspension of logic “proves” the bible’s predictions to be true. It is like the hippie types that live around here [near Glastonbury] who drone on about ley lines and the “energy” that comes from them. Take any number of points on a map of a crowded island like the UK and they’ll line up, it doesn’t mean anything though.

Back on topic. If the Americans elect this loon Carson, the World will become a lot less safe; he is the sort of wacko to press the button to start WW3.

8. Vanity Unfair says:

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain.”
    Now, I have made an extensive study of this subject and can categorically state that that he is wrong. The seminal works on barn-building do not require a pyramidal structure with walls scores of feet thick. I have watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Witness several times and the Egyptian structure is not how to build barns.

Angela: When, as a young man, I first read about Nostradamus I was mightily impressed. He seemed to have possessed an uncanny knack of predicting future events. When I looked into the subject further I found that you don’t just translate his “prophecies” and read them straight off; oh, no – you have to look for the little marks in the script and choose one letter here and another letter there. My interest rapidly waned. It’s the same with these “experts” who find all sorts of things foretold in the pages of the Old Testament (and I don’t mean the prophecies, either). You need the “magic key” and then you take one word from this page and another from another page, and, lo and behold, wonderful things appear. How can people take this sort of thing seriously?

10. Laura Roberts says:

I doubt Carson has much of a chance; the evangelicals he’s wooing also include the country’s highest proportion of racists. Good ol’ boys who voted for “W” because they thought he was one of them will likely stay home rather than vote for Carson.

Carson is proof that being a very skilled mechanic does not mean your are intelligent. I would rather have a not too bright person who cares about people as prez then a know-it-all idiot like Carson.

Atabale: Very good. I applied the code to Bob Hutton’s blog and got the message: “I’m a fucking imbecile”, so it quite clear works!

The man is bat-shit crazy. If you get what I mean.

14. Zombiehunter says:

so who would be worse? Ben Carson or Donald Trump??

15. andym says:

It’s really no wonder he’s appealing to fundies. Remember he’s spent his whole career communicating with brain-damaged people.

16. Brian Jordan says:

@Barriejohn,
    I thought that everyone knew that “The Irish were Egyptians long ago”:Ray Ellington used to sing it regularly on the Goon Show.
    There are clearly still goons about.

17. John the Drunkard says:

The pyramids aren’t mentioned in the Bible. A bit of a problem with the Joseph to Moses bit, as they would have been hard to miss.

Carson isn’t even pretending some biblical source for his loony notion. There aren’t any ‘hermetically sealed’ chambers in the pyramids, and the enclosed spaces aren’t big enough to store grain for anything. Let alone the seven years of drought that Joseph was supposed to be preparing for.

Carson is stupid, credulous, and incapable of assessing any notion that comes into his head…the perfect Republican candidate!

This is worth reading:

A small, American-born sect of Christianity that arose in New England in the early 1800s, my former church teaches that the United States will play a key role in the earth’s final events, with its government destined to conspire with the Catholic church and other apostates to bring about the demise of the planet and the return of Jesus to set up God’s eternal kingdom here.

Such people should be allowed nowhere near the reins of power!