Pastor Swanson’s cow dung threat over gay marriage

Pastor Swanson’s cow dung threat over gay marriage

Pastor Kevin Swanson’s National Religious Liberties Conference, staged in Des Moines, Iowa, may now be over, but derisive laughter over some of the things the loon told delegates continues to to reverberate across America.

How can one not laugh when, for example, he tells how he’d react if one of his sons turned out gay, and invited him to his wedding?

There are families, we’re talking Christian families, pastors’ families, elders’ families from good, godly churches whose sons are rebelling, hanging out with homosexuals and getting married and the parents are invited.

What would you do if that was the case? Here is what I would do: sackcloth and ashes at the entrance to the church and I’d sit in cow manure and I’d spread it all over my body. That is what I would do and I’m not kidding, I’m not laughing.

In another rant, the Christian extremist said it would be better for parents to “hang a millstone” around their childrens’ necks and drown them “at the bottom of the sea” rather than let them read J K Rowling’s  Harry Potter books.

The Colorado hate preacher then complained that coverage of his his anti-gay comments, including his recent remarks that AIDS is “God’s retribution” for homosexuality, is part of a larger attempt to “shut down Christian media”.

Christians, he warned, must:

Prepare to see our radio programs and our ministries, and our churches, our schools, completely wiped out by … the homosexual forces.

Hat tip: Angela K (Harry Potter report)

20 responses to “Pastor Swanson’s cow dung threat over gay marriage”

1. Newspaniard says:

I see that he’s still teaching about, “the love of christ”.

2. David Anderson says:

I’m thinking of joining the “homosexual forces”, they sure seem to have a lot of power (plus the best decorated and furnished homes).

These “homosexual forces” seem to be a massive force in the world. If they were to align themselves with the powerful and nefarious militant atheists they could take over the planet.

4. Rob Andrews says:

Some Xtians place more credence in the old testament than the new testament. This is simular to the ‘Mecca Muslims’-as opposed to the ‘Medina Muslims’. I guess the early stages of a religion are more crude.
    Fortunatly Secularism is dominent in the west.

“The old testament shows god when he was young; the new testament shows him later, after he ‘got religion'”–Mark Twain

Rob Andrews: There is complete confusion over what to believe and what actually applies today. According to much of the NT, Christians are to live “by faith”, taking no “anxious thought” for their well being, and trusting God to provide for them (“Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.”). However, the OT quite clearly teaches that God will “prosper” and “bless” those who work hard and make the most of their opportunities – in fact, the Jews were never much interested in any “afterlife”, or “eternal reward”, looking to God to bless them here on earth, and hell doesn’t even feature in their holy books. That is why both socialists and capitalists like Margaret Thatcher can wax lyrical about the way that they are following Biblical teachings (remember her famous address to the Methodists?) and no one can contradict them, because they just cherry-pick the verses that back up their own personal philosophy!

As a child, Margaret would sit in the pew listening to her father hammer home messages on the Protestant work ethic, God-given liberty and individualism.

6. lucy1 says:

The man seriously thinks that it would be better to kill your children than let them read a book. Words nearly fail me. Presumably he believes that it would be better for the children to die innocent and go to heaven, than be taken over by satan and go to hell. Luckily, few people really follow through that logic. Many do a watered down versions. They beat children, keep them away from other people etc.

Makes him better than isLame as they would kill the kid!
    BUT SO INCREDIBLY STUPID!!!
    Punish the kids act by spreading cow schite over my body! Thanks for telling me dad…you’re not invited!
    Screw jesus love! What about the love for your own kid! OH! Right its gay…no love!

8. Steve says:

So wait, giving him attention and telling people what he ACTUALLY said is shutting down the “Christian media”? Did he serious imply that telling the truth is shutting him down?

9. Patience says:

We will not have to wait long until this excremental bigot is found in a public toilet on his knees with a ‘friend’. Methinks he protests too much.

As well as being full of shit he will be plastered with it too.

10. John the Drunkard says:

If I were his son, I’d pretend to be gay so he’d roll in cow shit that didn’t come out of his mouth.

11. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn: My old church always taught that when jesus did his sacrificial act for us we were no longer bound by the teachings of the old testament, but to follow in jesus footsteps and be like him. Love one another and the golden rule basically. (Maybe that’s where they get there arrogance, after all they are following in god’s footsteps so they must think they are somehow a mini god.) So we always took the old testament more as lessons on life and not as beinig literal. That was a few decades ago though and I think they have followed in the footsteps of other evangelicals and become more dogmatic about the old testament.

Cali Ron: That’s only the theory; they never put it into practice. How many of these “followers of Jesus” have given away all their possessions – including any spare coat that they may have had – and taken up an itinerant lifestyle, eschewing family ties,and taking “nought for their comfort”, preaching the Gospel? How many of them depend upon God to provide their daily food and somewhere to sleep at night? Amazingly, many of those who did “live by faith”during my time as a member of the Brethren were a darned sight better off than the working men in the meetings, with large houses, cars, and nice suits, etc. It was largely as a result of Calvinistic teaching that the “work ethic” became so strong amongst protestants, but apart from one or two verses this is definitely an Old Testament idea!

Not only do I think he insults cows but I am at a complete loss to see the connection between homosexuality, cow shit and weddings. Does he think the cow dung would ‘purify’ him in the eyes of his god? Or is he using cows excrement to keep ‘homosexual forces’ from getting too close to him? This is a real theological conundrum. Time for my pill.

14. Robster says:

Me thinks said bigot is confusing cow dung with the steaming horse sh*t that is his preferred dogma.

15. Tubes says:

This is funny until you realise that at least 2 of the Republican nominees for the US Presidency are apparently proud to know this guy.

16. gedediah says:

In the conservative Christian mindset criticism = persecution or denial of free speech.

I guess sitting in cow dung is just his way of disrupting the wedding ceremony in the way of a dirty protest.

17. Cali Ron says:

Perhaps he plans to sit in it just before attending the wedding to disrupt the service. Honestly, I think he is getting confused with Job sitting in a pile of ashes and scraping himself with a pottery shard after being afflicted with boils by satan to test his faith. What an ignoramus! Typical christian, long on faith, but very short on knowledge.

Cali Ron: I’m still trying to work out what kind of a “threat” this is!

19. dennis says:

I saw him on Racheal Maddow show on MSNBC several days ago, was a reminder of my days in hell in a baptist church. good grief! maybe he was trying to equate gay sex with rolling around in it. how stupid. love belongs to the beholders of love no matter their sex.