‘I’m a Christian first, then a bus driver’ says sacked faith-head

‘I’m a Christian first, then a bus driver’ says sacked faith-head

Those defiant words were uttered by South African bus driver Jerome Rose after he was sacked for ignoring a warning not  to lead passengers in prayer on his Cape Town bus at the start of each journey.

According to this report, his parting words to the MyCiTi bus company were:

That’s okay. God has bigger plans for me.

Rose, who has been driving the Cape Town/Atlantis route for the past year, said he was given a verbal warning last Friday to stop leading passengers in prayer after a passenger submitted a written complaint.

But on Monday, I prayed again. I am a Christian first, then a bus driver.

A colleague apparently caught the prayer session on video, and on Tuesday he was given a final written warning. But on Wednesday, Rose again started the day with a prayer.

I prayed to thank God for allowing us to see another day and for Him to bless our journey. And like always, it was met with a loud ‘amen’.

He was suspended and attended a disciplinary hearing on Thursday, and a day later was sacked. He said:

I lost my job for a good cause. My faith is more important to me.

Rose, however, plans to appeal the ruling.

For all the months I have been doing this, I have not once received any complaints from passengers. They closed their eyes and afterward thanked me for asking God to bless and protect them. What I did is not wrong. I was fully committed to my job. I was good at what I did. But this is all part of God’s plan for me. His will be done.

Mayoral committee member for transport, Brett Herron, said the bus driver was initially  asked to:

Refrain from leading the passengers in prayer as there are passengers from mixed faiths on the MyCiTi bus who take exception to the practice.

It is important for us all to acknowledge the fact that the residents of Cape Town and visitors to our city belong to different faiths, or that some of us may not be religious at all.

Hat tip: Ate Berga.

14 responses to “‘I’m a Christian first, then a bus driver’ says sacked faith-head”

I suppose the BBC might say, as they deluge us with religion, that they are Christians first and then broadcasters .

2. pinkthink says:

Time for him to get on his bike … pedlar for jesus. Fuckwit

So sad to see yet another Christian being persecuted and prevented from following his faith. Perhaps he should have used this prayer instead:

4. Lensman says:

‘I’m a Christian first then a bus driver’. I think he’ll find he’s deluded first and unemployed second.
    ‘God has bigger plans for me’. Why is he so special? Such breathtaking arrogance.

5. Robster says:

Got to hope that his God’s bigger plans include an income.

6. John the Drunkard says:

Robster. I’m sure god’s plans include a lucrative turn on the opwessed kwistian lecture circuit.

7. Laura Roberts says:

“I was fully committed to my job.” No, you weren’t. You were fully committed to insubordination — that’s why you were sacked.

8. tonye says:

Sadly I awoke this morning to hear that Paris had, again, suffered from terrorist attacks.
    At present I don’t know who has claimed responsibility for this but I’ll wager the ‘religion of peace’ was behind it.
    Cue , as per usual, the cowardly media (esp BBC) and politicians, in this country, lining up to tell us that this is the actions of a ‘lone wolf’. Utterly disgusting.

And your book o’BS, shich you probably did not read, says to be quiet and pray in private and to convert others thru the example of your moral life!!! You dimwitted maroon!!! All the actions of your life as shown is that the Romans were right to throw ya’all to the lions to shut you up!!!

10. Bubblecar says:

“That’s okay. God has bigger plans for me.”

Yep, he doesn’t want you to be a bus driver any more – he wants you to be an unemployed bus driver.

11. dennis says:

these theist, what ever their shade of belief , and when you ask them to refrain from such insolence, they are persecuted. so the next time this happens to me I shall explain dark matter! yes, dark matter.

12. Vanity Unfair says:

I want my ‘bus drivers to be ‘bus drivers first in he same way that I want my doctors, firemen, mechanics, accountants and librarians to be that first and not offer up a prayer before performing their specialist role: especially firemen.
    However, I was in SA a few years ago and can understand that all drivers might appreciate whatever help is even remotely available.

13. John Humpf says:

Wrong .. you is not a bus driver any more bro. You is sacked …dimshit.