Lying Christian boxer Tyson Fury infuriates thousands

Lying Christian boxer Tyson Fury infuriates thousands

Almost 70,000 people have signed a petition to remove Christian boxer Tyson Fury from the list of nominees for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

According to this report, footage has recently emerged of the boxer making sexist remarks about fellow nominee Jessica Ennis-Hill.

The self-named Gypsy King said: “she slaps up good as well, “and that:

When she’s got a dress on she looks quite fit.

In the same video Fury is asked about his attitude to female boxers and replies that he is not sexist and that a woman should work if a man does. However he adds:

What I believe is a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back. That’s my personal belief.
Making me a good cup of tea, that’s what I believe.

The petition was orginally started after he made homophobic comments during an interview with the Daily Mail.

The newspaper defended its interview with Fury on its website after a number of comments, saying:

On November 8, we published an interview with Tyson Fury in the Mail On Sunday. It was an astonishing piece of journalism by Oliver Holt, our Chief Sports Writer.

In the article, Fury offered controversial views in which he equated homosexuality and abortion with paedophilia, something many readers found highly offensive.

Fury said: ‘There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the Devil comes home. One of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other is paedophilia’.

Fury responded to the subsequent storm of publicity by denying everything. He said Holt had made up the quotes.

The article provides the recorded video with Fury and concludes:

Holt did not lie, he did not misrepresent Fury, and he did not put words into Fury’s mouth. Fury spoke openly and offered his opinions without being provoked, but when he realised how much controversy his views had generated, he blamed Holt, attempting to tarnish our writer’s professional reputation.

The petition has been signed by more than 69,500 people and states that:

Young people need sports personalities that they can look up to not people who express outrageous homophobic views, which can cause bullying and self-harm.

Fellow boxer, Anthony Joshua has weighed in on the debate, and told heavyweight rival Tyson Fury he needs to conduct himself better in public after the new world champion caused further controversy:

You’ve got kids to grandmas listening to you so I think there’s a time and a place to say certain things. I think he has to think before he speaks. He has to be a bit more calculated in what he says.

On Thursday a Christian MP challenged the world heavyweight champion boxer to a “head-to-head” in parliament.

Shadow leader of the House, Chris Bryant, who previously worked as an Anglican priest, is unhappy at what he says is Fury’s homophobic attitude.

25 responses to “Lying Christian boxer Tyson Fury infuriates thousands”

‘…I think there’s a time and a place to say certain things.’

Yes, but none of those things. Ever.

2. Gerald says:

Sounds like the brute has sustained brain damage.

@Gerald: If you are a boxer then you will sustain brain damage. But it’s not that. Fury’s bigotry arises out of ignorance. I doubt if he has ever read a book. His comments reveal that any kind of discussion backed by knowledge or facts is alien to him. In the mental oblivion of his ignorance he hears only his own limited internal voice. And no one around him is going to disagree.

He said recently that he lacked the education to know when he was causing upset. And his comments are not just outrageous but stupid, He says the only place for a woman is in the kitchen or on her back. He might, before he is at the end of his career, need a neuro surgeon who could be a woman. Not the kind of person to be confined to the kitchen or on her back.

I doubt whether he is open to change as he seems so arrogant in his ignorance. He is so limited that he cannot see what he is saying that is wrong. His offensiveness is not calculated. It is a reaction from an arrogant man who knows no better.

Some of the commentators in the usual religious supporting Newspapers are saying Fury is entitled to free speech but completely ignoring the fact that he is not entitled to spout “hate speech” and comments that are grossly offensive to Women. Clearly, intelligence isn’t Fury’s strong point.

And, isn’t “sports personality” a contradiction?

5. Gerald says:

Broga … I was an amateur boxer. But no jokes please.

6. Gerald says:

But I was a nifty bantamweight … Quick and nimble. In body and mind. The body is old and tired now but I still have a quick mind … I do an A Level maths problem every day.

7. Querent says:

@Broga
    Christian, bigot, misogynist, anti-abortion, homophobe, illiterate, immune to facts. I bet the Republican Party are spitting feathers that he’s not American – he’d be a shoo-in as their presidential candidate.

@Gerald: I heard a comment in an interview with Barry McGuigan when he said boxers sustained brain damage. He was talking about professional boxers. Amateurs use head guards.

I suppose I could be at some risk as I played a lot of football in my youth when we headed the big heavy leather balls.

I think we have both escaped the worst. Keeping the brain active helps as, I understand, does exercise.

Isn’t this the guy who plays the big, bad villain in those black and white Charlie Chaplin movies? I suggest Mr. Fury begins his education with watching Charlie in action before trying to read Hegel’s Phenomenology of the Mind.

10. Laura Roberts says:

@Querent: I don’t think the Republicans want someone who backs away from ridiculous statements. Whenever they are called out for saying something stupid and hateful, they double down. However, he could have a go as their token intellectual.

11. Newspaniard says:

I wish that all you so called “liberals” out there would remember that “no-one has the right NOT to be offended” and shutting up this asshole is the top of a slippery slope. So stop your sanctimonious blather and remember that “Free Speech” is just that, no “if”, “buts” or “maybes”. Without the freedom to express ourselves freely, we wouldn’t be allowed to write here without fear of arrest.

12. AndyB says:

It’s not surprising he comes out with such drivel, he comes from a long line of bare-knuckle fighters…..

“….Young people need sports personalities that they can look up to ….”
    Pure BS!!! Kids need GOOD people to look up to! I never met a ‘sports’ person or an actor person that I looked up to for anything!!! I admired smart GOOD people as my role models.

Newspaniard: I have never agreed with that statement. People have every right to take offence at what is said, just as others have the right to offend them. That to me is freedom of speech. However, what this is all about (I hope) is the suitability of Fury as a nominee for BBC Sports Personality of the Year – an oxymoron in most cases, I agree. Practically every word that emanates from his big gob is utter tripe, and from the very start I got the impression that here was a man lacking in self-confidence and self-worth, the very opposite of the impression that he presents of course (typical inferiority complex). I just hope that he has some friends who are able to explain to him the reason for this furore, and the fact that he doesn’t look like Brain of Britain for “sticking to his principles”!

15. andym says:

, I’d agree with you , New Spaniard. We should be very careful about condemning people for “hate speech” as someone has above, because our criticism of religion could be and is condemned for the same thing.

In this case the acid test would be whether his words actually incite violence. I’m not sure they do.However offensive his equating paedophilia and homosexuality, he seems to be leaving vengeance to his God, rather than asking other humans. In any case, freedom of speech is so precious, even, maybe particularly idiots like this should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I’d leave it at him being free to say what he says, and us free to call him a brain-damaged fuckwit with very bad advisors.

16. andym says:

@ Barrie. I must have started typing before you posted-I’m a slow typer.

I don’t think the BBC’s award has much to do with personality any more, if it ever did. In any case,if he were banned from the award, wouldn’t that be restricting freedom of speech indirectly? People are free not to vote for him, or vote for someone else.Why go to the lengths of banning him?

@andym: I think the big problem here is, as always with SPOTY, that the public have not chosen Fury, but the BBC have put him forward as one of their choices to receive the award. As I see it, that is what people are objecting to. I’m not much bothered about the awards ceremony myself, and he’s perfectly free to make a complete fool of himself in public if he wants to, but I have to agree that he’s not the sort of person to be put forward as a role model for youngsters.

18. andym says:

I suspect someone who had just won the World Heavyweight Crown would have been put forward whatever-even if it was against a slowing 39 year old.( Not that I’m a fan of boxing. it was just hard to get away from.)
    I’m pretty sure that kids today, far more tolerant than we were at the same age, will make their own decision. I still suspect you’re wanting the BBC to enforce your views by proxy.

19. Robster says:

The thug’s a liar! And a Christian! What an unexpected surprise.

20. Stonyground says:

I agree with Newspaniard. You are in favour of free speech or you are not. If your commitment to free speech has any caveats, with the sole exception of incitement to violence, then you are not. Personally I think that the offendatrons are a far greater threat than this mysogenistic dinosaur. Let him spout his ill informed opinions and judge him accordingly, I would prefer to know what he really thinks.

21. Newspaniard says:

@Stonyground. “offendatrons”… lovely word. Couldn’t find it in the OED but absolutely love it. Fits the people of permanent offence to a “T”.

22. David Ward says:

Several of the correspondents are displaying a degree of ignorance as well a Fury. One is that amateurs fighters suffer no brain damage as a result of wearing head guards. They do minimise some damage by way of cuts and the like, but research has proven many times that if you get hit in the head with any kind of force, a number of brain cells die as a result.
    David

23. […] is in hot water for criticising the broadcaster’s decision to keep Christian loon Tyson Fury on the nominee list for this year’s Sport Personality of the Year’ […]

24. Dennis says:

Free speech is all that saves us here. Protect it. Even when some one yells fire.