‘Unhinged’ Trump wants Muslims kept out of the US
Donald Trump’s rival Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush described Trump, above, as ‘unhinged’ after he called for:
A total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.
According to the BBC, there has been a storm of condemnation from Trump’s fellow Republicans after the presidential candidate called for a ban on Muslims entering America.
Former US Vice-President Dick Cheney said:
It goes against everything we stand for and believe in.
UK Prime Minister joined the fray saying that Trump’s statement was:
Divisive, unhelpful and quite simply wrong.
But Trump garnered loud cheers when he repeated his ban pledge at a South Carolina rally hours after his initial statement.
Trump said many Muslims nursed a “hatred” towards America. His statement to reporters on Monday said polling by the Center for Security Policy, a conservative think-tank, suggested that 25 percent of Muslims in the US believed violence against America was justified.
Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why, we will have to determine.
Until we [do]… our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad.
His campaign manager said the ban would apply to “everybody” – would-be immigrants and tourists. But Trump told Fox News it would “not apply to people living in the country”, adding that Muslims serving in the US military would be allowed to “come home”.
Nihad Awad, National Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations was also outraged:
These are not just words … Trump and Carson’s mainstreaming of Islamophobia in the election is inciting discrimination, hate crimes, violent attacks against Muslims and mosques. This inflammatory rhetoric is putting the lives of millions of American Muslims and their children in danger.
Ibraham Hooper, Director of the Council, added:
We’re entering into the realm of the fascist now.
Trump’s statement was delivered as the US comes to terms with its deadliest terror attack since 9/11.
Last week a Muslim couple, believed to have been radicalised, opened fire and killed 14 people at a health centre in San Bernardino.
Meanwhile, the Democratic mayor of St Petersburg, Florida, announced to Twitter fanfare that he was:
Hereby barring Donald Trump from entering St Petersburg until we fully understand the dangerous threat posed by all Trumps.
The UN refugee agency UNHCR said it was concerned that the rhetoric was putting an “incredibly important” resettlement programme for vulnerable Syrian refugees at risk.
Spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said remarks not just by Trump but by a number of US state governors could undermine a programme designed to help the most vulnerable refugees.
The US currently accepts several thousand refugees for resettlement each year, following a rigorous security screening which lasts around two years.