Outrage and praise for Black Jesus dolls in nativity scenes

Outrage and praise for Black Jesus dolls in nativity scenes

Anger over a black baby Jesus in a nativity scene has been sparked by Labor politician Lizzie Blandthorn, who had Christians hyperventilating over a display one branded ‘silly, stupid and offensive’.

Local media then reported that Dandenong Hospital in Melbourne set up its own black baby Jesus display, but the hospital claims that feedback has so far been “positive”.

Shane Butler, spokesman for hospital operator Monash Health, said:

The nativity scene at Dandenong Hospital features a baby perhaps best described as being of Middle-Eastern ethnicity. We have had no negative feedback from passers-by, and, in fact, our staff have received a number of positive comments about the nativity scene.

The hospital's baby Jesus

The hospital’s baby Jesus is of ‘Middle Eastern ethnicity’

Blandthorn, on the other hand, has received a number of complaints from local residents who claim the doll was:

Changing what Jesus was.

Blandthorn reacted strongly to the criticism and has refused to remove the display.

I’m disappointed that it has caused a bit of controversy. There was certainly nothing negative intended, it was meant to be a positive reflection of the Christmas nativity.

She added:

It’s a choice that I made and I think it was meant to be a lovely reflection of the true spirit of Christmas and the real things we’re meant to be celebrating at this time.

The Australian politician from north Melbourne also hit back on social media and saying it reflected her constituency’s diversity.

The MP was forced to defend her display which a local resident, “Francesca”, labelled as:

Silly, stupid and offensive. Many people, especially people of her [Ms Blandthorn] own faith, will find it very offensive.

She really went outside the boundaries … At the end of the game, this is a mocking of the birth of Christ, the son of God and I think it’s very offensive.

However not everyone was critical. Local resident, Wendy Odgers, said:

I think its fantastic that you have the nativity scene in your office electorate window. Forget the whingers who complain at the colour of the doll. The colour is not important.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

22 responses to “Outrage and praise for Black Jesus dolls in nativity scenes”

“…..I’m dreaming of a WHITE christmas…..”

I think it is shocking to have a black baby Jesus. Listen up! Jesus was white and he spoke King James bible English. I know he was white because I once asked a devout, daily bible reading Christian how he knew. He asked me how many black Jesus I had seen in paintings.

“None”, I replied. And he said that was proof that Jesus was white otherwise he would not have been painted white. Well, I had to yield. You just can’t argue with that kind of logic.

@ Stephen Mynett:
    “the research team acquired three well-preserved skulls from Jerusalem in Israel, where Jesus lived and preached.”

Very persuasive. And the result looks like a thug that you would not want at your Xmas party. The image is a long way from the handsome, flowing haired, noble visage we are used to seeing. Good to see the truth at last and have that settled.

4. Barry Duke says:

Near where I live on the Costa Blanca a gift store has a huge display of black dolls. They give of a strong chocolate aroma. Political correctness has yet to reach our shores.

And don’t forget he had soft European style hair and beard and bright blue eyes!!! No wonder every one was upset! Imagine a baby from near east area having a dark skinned baby, Jesus was a white ‘merican!!!!! Just ask any rePUKEian!!!

6. Trevor Blake says:

The colour is not important.

Well, as long as one doesn’t consider the Bible important, sure. The Bible states that the color of one’s children should match one’s own color. To marry outside of one’s own race is forbidden in the Bible.

“Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son. For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.” Deuteronomy 7:3-4

As for myself, I consider the Bible to be an anthology of ghost stories alternately cruel and dull (with a few moments of lovely poetry). Being indifferent to who people marry, I suppose, is part of my atheistic lack of a moral compass. If only I could go with God’s command to avoid race mixing, then I’d be a good person.

7. John the Drunkard says:

Remember that apartheid was the core principal of Christianity…for the Dutch Reformed Church.

Just as tax-cuts for the rich and concealed hand-guns are today.

It is obviously blasphemy of the gravest sort to allege that God’s Only Begotten Son should have possessed black skin. Black skin was a sign of the CURSE which god placed upon the descendants of Ham because of his grave sin following the Flood:

Cursed be Canaan—This doom has been fulfilled in the destruction of the Canaanites—in the degradation of Egypt and the slavery of the Africans, the descendants of Ham.

I knew Christians who devoutly believed that!

@barryjohn: And yet today there are MORE black christians in the world than white – I was told by a white, ex-missionary who taught comparative religion at Edinburgh University some years ago. Anyone would think you guys are saying Jesus was a blue-eyed ARYAN! God forbid such nonsense! He was a jolly decent chap with a single in the charts I believe. So I will keep singing “….and may ALL your christmases be WHITE babies….” or something like that…..

10. Laura Roberts says:

You have to love it! Sectarianism stripped to its most basic elements: your unverifiable claim is slightly different from my unverifiable claim, so you are a nasty, ignorant, mean-spirited poopy-head who doesn’t understand the TRUE meaning of whatever other unverifiable stuff we happen to agree upon.

BTW, I once heard someone refer to the all-white, blond-haired, blue-eyed Jesus as being derived from the “Garden of Sweden” Bible.

AgentCormac: Anyone with knee problems knows just how “perfectly designed” the human body is!

When I was a young Christian it was obligatory to own a copy of the book Wonderfully Made, penned by Professor A. Rendle Short – a big noise amongst the Plymouth Brethren in Bristol during the first half of the Twentieth Century. (Still on sale: “Some modern discoveries about the structure and functions of the human body”.) It was amazing that such an eminent surgeon could come up with such a load of codswallop and wishful thinking.

PS Note the section about fellow Plymouth Brother, John Bodkin Adams!

12. Graham Martin-Royle says:

No one took a photo of him so no one knows what the fuck he looks like (or even if he actually existed). FFS!

1859: They also get hopelessly confused with the “Mark of Cain” – as if their confusion over the fact that it was (according to the Bible) HAM who sinned but Canaan who was “cursed” was not enough. In their sort of mystical interpretation of Genesis, some fundamentalists have alleged that the real sin was intercourse with the cursed descendants of Cain (who was the one that they now allege to have been given the black skin), without satisfactorily explaining how they could possibly have survived the devastating effects of the Flood – but then intelligence and the ability to employ logic are not their defining characteristics!

Graham Martin-Royle: But that’s the beauty of “Bendable Jesus” – he’s anything that you want him to be!

He’s even found a great comment from Amazon:

When I share photos of Bendable Jesus with friends and family members, it always starts a great conversation about who Jesus *really* is: the totally all loving, all flexible, all merciful, human personification of our great and awesome God. Quite the opposite of the mean, old, judgmental god that so many would have us believe in, who would send us straight to eternal damnation, complete with fire and brimstone if we don’t follow “the rules.”

What more can anyone say?

OT but apparently Frankie has now recognised a second miracle attributed to Mother Teresa, clearing the way for the old fraud to be made a saint next year. The miracle involved the healing of a Brazilian man with several brain tumours. Hitch will be spinning in his grave.

16. Brian Jordan says:

Surely the colour of the baby would have depended on the nature of the branches on which the mother was lying on at the moment of conception. (Cf Jacob’s sheep colour, Genesis 39:39)

17. Peterat says:

If Jesus was black, what colour does that make his dad?

OMG!!!! A BLACK god!!!

19. Cali Ron says:

I jammed with Jesus at Winterland. He played a mean guitar, but nobody could understand the lyrics. Last I heard he ran off with some groupie named Mary. Something about a foot washing fetish. Always wore sandals and spoke in stories. I think it was all the wine.