In Guatemala, Jesus is rejected for post as an army general

In Guatemala, Jesus is rejected for post as an army general

The suggestion that a statue of Jesus should be given the status of a general in the Guatemalan army was made at a Christmas eve mass by Catholic priest Orlando Aguilar.

But, according to this report, when the daft idea reached the ears of Archbishop Oscar Vianhe, bishop of the capital Guatemala City, he firmly rejected the idea.

Brothers and sisters, as I have said and repeated many times, nobody consulted me about ascending Jesús de la Merced to the rank of general in the army.

Media reports suggested that Jesús de la Merced was to be made a general ahead of the 300th anniversary of the blessing of the statue in 2017.

If the idea had been approved this would have been Jesús de la Merced’s second army role. During devastating cholera outbreaks in the 1800s, then-president Rafael Carrera gave the statue the rank of army colonel and it was marched around Guatemala in an effort to combat the epidemic.

President Alejandro Maldonado stressed that, as Armed Forces Commander General, he would never have gone along with Aguilar’s suggestion unless  Roman Catholic authorities had first given their approval.

Hat tip: Ivan Bailey

13 responses to “In Guatemala, Jesus is rejected for post as an army general”

1. Newspaniard says:

Would that be with full pension rights?

Small time stuff. I heard an item on the BBC this morning proudly reminding us that Charles Windsor, a man of no very great ability, was the most senior officer in the army, RAF and navy. Not too encouraging for the efforts of those who risk their lives and sweat their guts out to get to sergeant or major.

Charles and the rest of the Windsor (their adopted name) clan don’t seem in any way embarrassed by this nonsense. In the real world Charles would struggle to make lance corporal.

Shouldn’t that be Field Marshall, or at the very least Generalissimo?

Broga: I can trump that. Eddie the Eager, Earl of Wessex, who couldn’t stomach his military training, is Colonel-in-Chief of several regiments, as well as Commodore-in-Chief of the RFA, Air Commodore, and Honorary Colonel several times over. One can only imagine what REAL soldiers think to themselves when they see the smug bastard decked out in all his fancy regalia!

@barriejohn: I remember that. Eddie couldn’t finish basic training and packed it in. I did basic training myself a long time ago. It was three tough months but I didn’t have the option of packing it in. I wouldn’t have anyway as for anyone who couldn’t finish the training the failure was a matter of shame. I don’t think the royals do shame.

I remember, at age 18, the pride at being told at the end, “You are now professional killers.” That was in my innocent days but I was already an atheist.

5. Health and Safety says:

I ache for separation of church and state. I ache for the republic.
    The whole class ridden edifice of the monarchy and church a a disgrace.

6. Rob Andrews says:

All those metal studs on his shoulders make him look like a punk rocker anyeay, not a general.

In L.A . i remember Christian owned gym that had a picture of a buffed Christ. Only proves the old saying that ,’god is made in the image of man’.Not the other way around.

7. Rob Andrews says:

Did anybody else do a double take on that first paragraph under the headline:
    The suggestion that a STATUE OF JESUS should be given the status of a general in the Guatemalan army was made ….Is this idol worship or what?

8. Stonyground says:

In Stoke on Trent there is a gym in a converted chapel called “Give me strength”

9. tonye says:

@broga,

Charles would not have even make it as a door opener at a hotel if it was not for his luck of birth. (And my apologies to door openers for comparing him).

I once saw a picture of him, online, in his full dress uniform, covered in medals that had been given to him by mummy, not one was a proper campaign medal.

@tonye: Mummy loves handing medals to the sprogs. She doesn’t seem to realise that medals are cheapened by the ease with which she unloads them. The same applies to their unearned high ranks. It is impossible to take them seriously.

11. andym says:

When Prince Edward left the army , he joined Lloyd-Webber’s theatre compant, where his nickname was…Babs Windsor.

12. Robster says:

Be very cheap, no uniforms or weapons, no food, a cupboard for lodgings and no input whatsoever, great idea.