Rapper Jahaziel attacks Bible and the ‘brutal nature of God’

Rapper Jahaziel attacks Bible and the ‘brutal nature of God’

Christian rap fans were left reeling when Christian hip-hop star Jahaziel, 39, issued a pre-Christmas statement saying he was through with Christianity.

According to a sorrowful Christian music site Kingdom Time Media, Jahaziel (full name Jahaziel Micah Ben Elliott) is:

Without question the most talented and recognized UK artist who has crossed over into the US space. His talent has been solidified by the various accolades he has received over the years.

Jahaziel won a MOBO award for Best Gospel Act in 2008,  he was nominated for a MOBO award in 2007 and won two Oasis awards in 2006 for Best Male and Best Holy Hip Hop Artist.

We pray that Jahaziel will be lead by the Holy Spirit.

In a Facebook statement Jahaziel, who found Jesus when he was 18, wrote:

I need not explain myself to anyone but I feel the need to make a quick statement. A short while ago I turned away from 20 years as a professing Christian. I had a good job with a church organization, a house provided by the church, a large social circle of likeminded people, a career in gospel music, a worldwide fan base, a respected reputation & status within Christian and non Christian circles … Etc

?Having left Christianity I may have lost many/all of these things, but what I have is worth more than all of them combined. I have my integrity. When I first joined Christianity I was told ‘you must believe this book is God’s infallible word’… Before I’d even read the book!!

How can one decide for themselves whether a book is accurate and true BEFORE they have even read & investigated the book thoroughly?! Anyway… Contrary to many opinions I have met some great people in church and learned some great principles from Christianity/the bible. These principles however are not exclusive to any religion. I have experienced Christianity in literally 100’s of contexts so my perspective on Christianity is quite an informed one …

Now after 20 years of being vocal about the positives of Christian faith I would like to take some time to be equally vocal about the negatives I have found. i.e Christianity and its controlling dictatorship, its historic blood trail, its plagiarized bible stories characters and concepts, the many human errors of the bible and its contradictions, the brutal nature of its God, it’s involvement in the slave trade, the crusades, the inquisition, the witch hunts, it’s second class view of women, it’s masculinization of God, it’s emasculation of men, its financial corruption… You get the drift. So YES I will go on, and I will not be silent as some have asked – my integrity will not allow me to be so passive against mass corruption. In all love. J.

Reacting to those who slammed his decision, the rapper said in a follow-up statement:

You can believe the bible and its God all you want but to me he just demands my fear because he cannot earn my respect. I cannot possibly agree that he is love unless I ignore all the men, women and little children he has slaughtered throughout the entire bible …

Follow or unfollow as you wish – I have no concern for your uninformed estimation of me. When all is said and done I love people regardless of what religious title they choose to wear, but that doesn’t mean I love their religion and I will not be threatened into obeying its laws or guilt tripped into submitting to its dogma.

15 responses to “Rapper Jahaziel attacks Bible and the ‘brutal nature of God’”

I am delighted to hear that Jahaziel has decided to turn from the dark side – that’s one more of us, one less of them. As for ‘Without question the most talented and recognized UK artist who has crossed over into the US space’, have the people at Kingdom Time Media perhaps not heard of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Adele, Black Sabbath, Oasis, Genesis, Iron Maiden, or The Wombles?

“Having left Christianity I may have lost many/all of these things, but what I have is worth more than all of them combined. I have my integrity.”

The last four words of his statement get to the core of why people leave religion and become atheists. And while intelligent people like politicians and clergy hold to incredible and preposterous beliefs they must sacrifice their integrity.

Excellent news – it is so reassuring that despite 20 years of christian immersion this guy can still break free and think for himself, ask questions that cut to the very heart – not just of christianity but of all religions. I don’t know anything about your music Mr. Jahaziel but I welcome you to the world of reason and free thought.

4. Cali Ron says:

@AC : You barely skimmed the surface. Have they not heard of the British invasion? What about Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Eno,Mott the Hoople , Robert Fripp,The Strawbs, Rick Wakeman and on and on. Usual Christian myopia, they can’t see past their own prejudice and religious programming.

Here’s to Mr. Jahaziel’s integrity and freedom from religious tyranny.

5. Robster says:

Wonder what straw it was that broke the camel’s (how apt) back?

That’s good news, but this isn’t:

Justin Bieber has now “found God”, and is telling his millions of impressionable fans that “Jesus is the most important person in his life”, etc, etc, etc. Of course, WE know that he is an emotional infant, leading an artificial existence almost totally divorced from reality – more to be pitied than envied – but they don’t, and all that goes down so well in America. Whether it’s all genuine, or a cynical ploy to promote the cardboard cutout “pop sensation “following his well-publicised recent “adventures”, I have no idea, but it’s all playing so well in the USA, and is doing nothing to encourage young people there to think for themselves and come to rational conclusions about life, the universe and everything. If only he could find some “integrity”!

7. Bill says:

Poppycock and Humbug.
    Just another untallented chancer struggling for attention by being controversial. Pay no attention. Go read Hello Magazine if this kind of “news” impresses you. If you want to read meaningless drivel then try this …

At face value, Calvary Chapel South London looks like a hip-hop church.
    Two of the pastors that it’s led by, Efrem Buckle and Robert Prendergast, are known in the United Kingdom Christian hip-hop world as e.Minor and Tha Pilgrim of the pioneering rap group Ministri of Defence (M.O.D). Members and former attendees of the church include S.O., Jahaziel, Dwayne Tryumf and many other artists.
    However, CC South London is so much more than a hip-hop-friendly congregation.
    Buckle and Prendergast were rappers before they were pastors and Christians before they were rappers. But as Christians with a passion for a rapidly sprouting hip-hop culture that the London church lacked a connection to, they decided to bridge the gap in 1994 as M.O.D. The church failed support their effort.
    “We were getting stoned,” Buckle told Wade-O Radio’s David Daniels. “Christians were saying, ‘You can’t do that. It’s not of God.’”
    He and Prendergast didn’t start to rap for acceptance, though. So the lack of support failed to deter them.
    “Our goal, to be quite frank, was always from the outset simply using music as a tool to get people’s attention sufficiently in order to give them the gospel,” said Buckle.

M.O.D didn’t tour churches or youth groups. It instead performed in schools and prisons. And Sean Benson admitted that he would be dead or in prison if it had been the other way around.
    M.O.D ministered at a 14-year-old Benson’s school during a time in which he began to weigh church life against gang life. He grew up impoverished and fatherless in Peckham, London—a neighborhood in Southwark, a borough with the fifth-highest crime rate in the city according to its Metropolitan Police. Benson’s greatest influence—his environment—pointed him toward a life of crime, but M.O.D outweighed this influence.
    “Seeing men from a demographic that I could relate to representing something much more important and significant than the gang life that I was seeing around me had a massive impact,” Benson told Wade-O Radio.
    M.O.D invited students up for an open mic after its performance at the school. Only Benson came forward. There, the Christian hip-hop artist now known as Threeface rapped in front of M.O.D for the first time.

The duo’s evangelism flourished, but M.O.D never sought to just convert non-Christians—even though they were 90% of its audience according to Buckle. M.O.D knew that it also had to assist in the maturation process of the newborn Christians impacted by its ministry.
    To accomplish that, Buckle and Prendergast first started a Friday night Bible study. Their mere presence in the UK Christian hip-hop scene also left an impact.
    Jahaziel—who released his second studio album Heads Up on Nov. 19—connected with them at numerous concerts and Worship and Warriors, monthly meetings held for the few UK Christian rappers who existed to fellowship. He even went as far as to say that M.O.D “pastored the scene.”
    “They were brothers that always used to encourage me and you never questioned their motives,” Jahaziel told DJ Wade-O. “It was always clear that this was about Christ and him being made known.”

The gradual progression of M.O.D’s ministry, which included being signed to Cross Movement Records, eventually led to the creation of Calvary Chapel South London.
    Jahaziel stopped church shopping and joined as soon as he heard the news. Several other artists—including Tryumf, S.O., Threeface, New Direction Crew and E Tizz—had already joined, or did so soon after. CC South London ultimately became the heartbeat of UK Christian hip hop, but for reasons other than hip hop.
    “While all those guys were coming there, it was never like a hip-hop church,” said Jahaziel. “It just seemed like a real genuine church, a church that was void of all the extra stuff that gets in the way. The teaching was really sound. The fellowship was really cool. And for some people, it was the first time you’ve ever been to a church and seen a pastor preach with a fitted cap on.”
    S.O.—who landed at CC South London through Jahaziel (before the former signed with Lamp Mode Recordings and the latter with Xist Music, S.O. was Jahaziel’s hype man)—echoed his claim about the church’s rapper-laden congregation.
    “We didn’t go there because we were artists or because the pastors were M.O.D,” S.O. told Daniels. “I didn’t even know what M.O.D was. I came into Christian hip hop really late. Primarily, we went there because we wanted to be Bible people.”

For S.O., Jahaziel, Threeface and G.P.—producer for New Direction Crew—CC South London did more than simply offer a stronger, Biblically-sound alternative.
    S.O. had never heard of expositional preaching. Jahaziel couldn’t find a church unhandcuffed by Pharisaical tradition. Threeface had no accountability. Neither did G.P., who claimed that he wouldn’t even call his pre-Calvary Chapel self a Christian, despite him creating “Christian” music.
    CC South London filled a void.
    “If I look at my churches I had gone to prior to [CC South London], a lot of the time it wasn’t about the scriptures,” G.P. told Wade-O Radio. “A lot of the time it was a bit of culture, mixed in with some hocus pocus, mixed in with a bit of feel-good and mixed in with [teaching] that made no sense, but you didn’t question the leaders.”
    While the story of Calvary Chapel is Christ-centered, hip hop’s role in molding the church body remained major. Artists didn’t join because of hip hop, but the organic relationships that they built in the UK Christian hip-hop scene made them to gravitate toward joining.

And to go full circle, Buckle and Prendergast taught their congregation the very thing that they as M.O.D. pledged to do nearly two decades ago—use hip hop has a tool to spread the gospel. According to G.P., they did so by emphasizing servant hood to the artists.
    “We could rap all day, but then there’s a time when we need to put the mic down,” said G.P. “What are you reading, at the end of the day? What are you studying? How are you serving people? How are you serving the body? How’s your walk? What’s going on behind closed doors? Are you accountable? Hip hop was the common ground that brought many together, but then it was the scripture that glued us together.”
    The impact of Buckle and Predergrast through CC South London and M.O.D isn’t limited to south London.
    Triple O, a Christian hip-hop artist from east London, admitted that south London artists like those from Calvary Chapel are typically more theologically-focused than UK artists in general. He also stressed the importance of M.O.D’s connection with Cross Movement, which Buckle and Predergrast met on its mission’s trip to the UK.
    “Hearing M.O.D on Christology was a big deal for me and really encouraged me to write,” Triple O told Wade-O Radio.

CC South London isn’t the Christian hip-hop hub that it once was.
    The church sent Jahaziel to Islington, London—a northern borough even more dangerous than Southwark—as an Eden Network team leader to share the gospel. Tryumf left too. S.O. remains, but he plans on moving to the United States next year.
    CC South London may no longer be the heartbeat of UK Christian hip hop, but its impact on the scene and beyond lives on.
    – See more at: http://wadeoradio.com/church-bred-s-o-jahaziel-dwayne-tryumf-isnt-hip-hop/#sthash.4H7y6Vrl.dpuf

8. Laura Roberts says:

@BarrieJohn: very well said. That phrase, “emotional infant, leading an artificial existence almost totally divorced from reality” describes not only young pop stars but devout theists of all ages.

9. Great Satan says:

Justin Bieber – ah yes. that narcissist role model who made the facile comment about Anne Frank – http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/apr/14/justin-bieber-anne-frank-belieber – talk about a mass dumbing down of western civilisation – no wonder the islamists think we’ll be such a pushover !

@Great Satan: The dumbing down has been persistent and extensive. The environment is being wrecked, Islamists have got us scared, we are lost in crap TV and we continue to fund faith schools. I have started reading, with much pleasure and fascination, “The Human Universe” by Brian Cox. (£1.99p on kindle). I came across a comment I liked: “….a group of biological machines, living temporarily on a mote of dust.”

His descriptions of the vastness of the cosmos, and what he calls our progress into insignificance, destroy any possible reason to believe that we are special. Religion did all it could by threats and grisly tortures to prevent scientists making this progress. I don’t know anything about Bieber, apart from having heard his name, and I think I can manage without hearing anything more.

11. Matthew Carr says:

For my own part, leaving religion wasn’t about my personal integrity as much as it was about having a coherent worldview. I think this needs to be expressed more often although I don’t know what causes others to leave.

12. Stonyground says:

” I have no concern for your uninformed estimation of me. ”

I’m going to have this put onto a tee shirt.

It sounds to me as though this guy actually took it upon himself to actually read the Bible. Reading the whole thing or even large chunks of it does tend to make atheists out of Christians.

13. dennis says:

this was my Winter Solstice gift from Jahaziel! what will the next album sound like?
    @Bill you seemed to have a historical knowledge of theist rap in England.
    @Stonyground, Yes a t-shirt for me also.

14. Dave says:

@Laura – that comment makes me think of the following words: judgmental, prejudiced, self-righteous, ignorant.
    Very similar to the words used to describe Christians…and other theists.