Opinion

Why do Muslims shun dogs?

Why do Muslims shun dogs?

Imagine this scenario: You’re invited to a Thanksgiving weekend by your family. Upon your arrival you a greeted by your brother, who has his dog by his side.

You immediately order your brother to put the dog outdoors, and keep it there. Why? Because you’ve converted to Islam, and Islam regards dogs as “unclean”.

A row ensues. For the entire weekend, you are subjected to constant ear-ache by your sister-in-law, who criticises Islam for instilling a hatred of dogs among its stooges, and suggests that if Muslims learned to appreciate dogs, they would not be so violent.

This is no imaginary scenario. The family confrontation occurred in 2002 when John Yahya Ederer, above, creator of a site called Virtual Mosque, met up with his family for the first time since his conversion to Islam two years previously.

In a post in October 2014, Ederer conceded that:

The crazy thing is that, generally speaking, they were in the right.

And Ederer, now imam of the Muslim American Society of Charlotte, added:

My indoctrination to Muslims’ cultural exaggeration about dogs pushed some of my family away from Islam.

“Cultural exaggeration” would explain many other bizarre attitudes most Muslims have towards a whole raft of issues ranging from homosexuality to yawning.

Yes, yawning – it’s “shaytaanic”.

These issues are approached with an unquestioning, infantile reliance on the “truths” contained in the Koran and the numerous ahadith that add to Islam’s Big Book of Baloney layer upon layer of tortuous and often psychotic interpretations.

“Shaykh” Ederer confirms this by writing:

The problem with cultural Islam is that much of it is an exaggeration of scripture. People go overboard in their interpretation or application of our scripture.

The case with Muslims’ aversion to dogs is indeed rooted in authentic ahadith (pl. saying or tradition of the Prophet  – peace be upon him). Some of these ahadith, when read by themselves, do indeed give that idea. Most people do not know the scholarly discourse on such ahadith, especially when it comes to combining the texts or understanding their application in juristic derivation.

And he points out that:

Dogs are only mentioned three times in the Qur’an, none of them negative in any way. Two of those mentions actually praise dogs as companions of people!

As an aside, I think Ederer is a monumentally arrogant tit. Rather than correctly labelling himself a “convert” to Islam he refers to himself as a “revert”. This is a common conceit among those who have abandoned one or other religion for Islam.

About Religion explains it thus:

Muslims believe that all people are born with a natural faith in God. According to Islam, children are born with an innate sense of God, which is called the fitrah. Therefore, some people see conversion to Islam as a ‘return’ back to this original, pure faith.

For this reason, many Muslims prefer to say that they have ‘reverted’, rather than converted to Islam.

In short, they are claiming superiority of Islam over all other belief systems, and if that isn’t arrogance, what in the name of St Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory is?

But back to dogs and a blogger called “Silas” who confirms here that, while Mohammed made “strange and harsh statements” about dogs that, to this day, affect canines in a tragic manner, none of his statements regarding dogs are to be found in the Koran.

But they abound in the various collections of traditions (hadith). These traditions are a primary foundation of Islamic theology and are the basis of many Islamic laws. They render dogs as ‘impure’ and worse. Per Muhammad’s orders most dogs were to be killed and all dogs of a specific colour (black) had to be killed.

Burqas for dogs – or 'barkas' – could be the solution to Muslims' distaste for canines.

Burqas for dogs – or ‘barkas’ – could be the solution to Muslims’ distaste for canines.

At the conclusion of a lengthy examination of the subject of dogs in Islam, “Silas”, a Christian, says that the Mohammed’s bizarre beliefs regarding dogs were:

Irrational, superstitious, and very cruel. I am thankful that Western countries have laws that protect pets and animals and make killing dogs, as Muhammad commanded, a crime. Hopefully Muslims will obey the law.

Muhammad’s absurd beliefs are now part and parcel of established Islamic dogma. Muslims who intend to obey Muhammad and obey the Sharia must kill their dogs. Any rationalization for disobeying the Sharia and owning a pet dog is going to be punished by Allah.

There are no intelligent or logical foundations supporting Muhammad’s beliefs, rather they go against modern medicine, modern science, and practical experience. Muhammad’s order is a blight, not a blessing. Muhammad’s superstitious belief, coupled with his brutality, bring out the worst in men. Muhammad is to be rejected for he is a curse upon mankind.

Then, sadly, he goes all Jesussy on us …

Islamic websites offer various reasons for Mohammed’s abhorrence of canines, but the one that appears to offer the strongest (and the funniest) justification for dog-hatred among Muslims rests on the absurd notion that a puppy fucked up a scheduled meeting between the Angel Gabriel and the prophet:

A’isha [the  paedophile prophet’s baby doll bride] reported that Gabriel (peace be upon him) made a promise with Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allah’s Apostle) a staff.

He threw it from his hand and said: Never has Allah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: ‘A’isha, when did this dog enter here? She said: ‘By Allah, I don’t know’.

He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said to him: ‘You promised me and I waited for you. but you did not come,’ whereupon he said: ‘It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.’

– from Sahih Muslim, Book 024, Number 5246)

So there you have it. Angels are the ones to blame.

But since then The Wing’d Ones have had centuries to reconsider their position on canines, and we now have it on good authority that they not only adore dogs, but extend to them a heavenly guardianship.

Yup. Dogs have guardian angels – two per pooch, according to UK “angel expert” Diana Cooper who is reported here as saying:

Dogs have two guardian angels as opposed to the one humans are assigned. I think it’s because they need more guidance than us.

When I first got my dog Venus our connection was so great that our collective angels merged so we could understand each other even better.

So strong is her connection with Venus that Diana, now 74, has written a book which she says was narrated by Venus.

We have a telepathic connection so a lot of the time I feel and hear intuitively what Venus is thinking. The stories in the book are all things that have happened to us.

Bijou and Fifi (in the forefront), are two rescue dogs I homed in my 31st floor apartment three years ago. I cannot imagine life without their companionship.

After reading this I downed four fingers of Johnnie Walker Black Label before extracting Bijou and Fifi from under their woolly fleece on the sofa, and said:

Give it to me straight, and no bullshit. Beam me the names of your guardian angels, and do it now!

All this half-tanked infidel got was a synchronised, shaytaanic yawn.

20 responses to “Why do Muslims shun dogs?”

1. Ross Balmer says:

Oh right, so if it’s okay to condemn all dogs because of one puppy, then I guess it’s okay to condemn all Muslims for the actions of a few terrorists. Same reasoning! ROFL

2. harrynutsak says:

You forgot to say, “Simon says”, obviously…

3. Club Secretary says:

“”It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.””

So now we know that dogs are to angels as garlic is to vampires.

Personally I keep a pet rock by my front door, it keeps away both elephants and tigers, so far it has been 100% reliable here in Essex. If I put it in a sock I am sure it would also repel Jehovah’s witlesses.

4. Peter Sykes says:

Barry Duke:
    Kudos for taking in rescue animals. Does Bijou have an eye problem? Perhaps it’s just light.

5. Peter Sykes says:

Club Secretary:
    I have picture of a dog, explains why I have no problems with Jinns and Devils (think I’ve got this right). Also a green overcoat in the wardrobe stops invasions of aardvarks, worked for years!

6. Barry Duke says:

Yes Peter Sykes, Bijou does have an eye problem. When I acquired him I was told that it was a cataract, but I had him examined by a vet who disagreed, and prescribed twice-daily drops that went some way to clear the white film that covered his left eye. The photo was taken before his treatment. He seems not in the least bit fazed by the condition, but I am keeping careful watch to ensure it doesn’t deteriorate.

“The more I see of men, the better I like dogs. Madame de Stael.

Personally the dog is just a schite factory with legs so that the schite bomb is always under your foot. You put a lot of money into the front end and you get well placed schite bombs in your yard from the back end. Not to mention the piss pools located thru out. And then just as you start to drift off to sleep the dimwitted mutt barks up a storm at a shadow. And they do this so often that the one time it is a burglar you ignored it. Muslins may hate them for stupid reasons but I can demonstrate and provide evidence for my reasons.

9. harrynutsak says:

When your religion has to force you to wipe with one hand and eat with the other, it means your religion is stupid.

10. Steve says:

The gospels (Mark 7.25f; Matt. 15.21f) also regard dogs as vile animals.This was a common view throughout the Middle East. Dogs weren’t pets, but were scavengers who ate dead bodies and even their own feces. The living, historical Jesus was no fan of Gentiles. Besides saying he came only for the children of Israel, he told his disciples to bypass Samaritans and Gentiles. Not only did he call Gentiles dogs in the passage cited above, he called them swine and said that’s no place to cast pearls.

11. John says:

The use of the term reversion by the idiot John Yahya Ederer above seems completely appropriate to me, as we are talking about someone reverting back to an earlier era of ignorance, superstition and stupidity – are we not?

To me a walk without my dog is of no interest.

13. andy says:

Always had dogs growing up. Now have to lovely dogs I share my home with. To me they are part of the family.
    I have far more respect for animals than I do for religion!

14. Laura Roberts says:

“Barkas” — I absolutely love that!

@L.Long: you’re welcome to hate dogs, to each his own. But the same argument (money in, poo out) works for children too. At least with dogs the money (and the poo) are in smaller volumes.

I think a better term for people who choose Islam for their woo-woo entertainment is “regress”, not “revert”. The same applies to anyone who chooses a religion. Those born into the culture at least have a fair excuse. For awhile.

@Laura Roberts : Dogs must have something going for them. I know of an old people’s home, or whatever they call them now, where the big event is when a dog arrives to be patted. A Guide Dog has often transformed the life of a blind person. And for many the presence of a dog is the only thing that staves off loneliness.

Some dogs are a nuisance but the fault lies with the owner. Many people should never have a dog.

For myself, I have had a dog for most of my life. I had a mongrel (apparently now called cross breeds) when I was a child. I have also had German Shepherds (then called Alsatians) but usually Labradors as at present. Our dog doesn’t feel to us like and intrusion. He is integrated into the family.

I think the Kennel Club is harmful to dogs. It imposes ridiculous “breed standards” which mean some dogs with squashed faces cannot breathe properly, others can scarcely walk and if you want a cocker spaniel or a Labrador make sure you get a working kind.

And to get vaguely back on topic dogs don’t do religion although religion does dogs as increasing numbers of churches do animal blessings or whatever. My dog, as far as I can tell, is an atheist.

16. Barry Duke says:

My love of dogs went up several notches when I watched the movie Max last night. Ironically it opens in an Islamic setting in Afghanistan. Brilliant film!

@Barry: I’ll try and see it. Thanks.

18. Cali Ron says:

Dog spelled backwards is god, so I believe that they are the opposite of religion. This is why I do whatever dogs tell me to. Unfortunately, like God they haven’t said word one yet. I’m betting on the dogs to be the first to talk between the two. Arf!

19. John the Drunkard says:

I THINK I’ve read that there is one hadith in which Mo uses his slipper to dip water from a well for a thirsty dog. Which is supposed to mean something, but no one can figure out what.

According to Ibn Warraq, ritualized cruelty to dogs got a big boost from the Muslim conquest (oops! ‘reversion’) of Persia. Zoroastrians supposedly honored and kept dogs, so violence towards dogs was an easy demonstration of Moral Superiority on the part of Mohammedans.

(I might be remembering this from VS Naipaul instead)